SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tithing is not a Old Testament Law !

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
DFCM

Tithing is not a Old Testament Law !

Hi All,

I’m not sure if I posted this in the right place or not, but this is in reply to whither or not tithing is a New Testament commandment or not?

I have been reading in the posts and was shocked to see so many believe that the issue of tithing was an O.T. Commandment, and that it’s not for us today.

Let’s get the record straight. :-)

First when did we first read about this tithing business?

Genesis 14:17-20
Then after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley). [18] And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High. [19] He blessed him and said,
"Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
[20] And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand?"
He gave him a tenth of all.

We can see plainly that Abraham was the first to give God 10% or the tithes. For Tithes the word means "tenth, or 10 %”

So this practice was way before you see it in the O.T. Covenant. For this took place over 400 years early. Remember that Israel didn’t come into existence until they were free from the Egyptians. And for all you bible students out there, you also will know that Melchizedek was a type of Christ.

Let us establish this tithing issue even further. :-)

Let’s take a look at what the Apostle Paul teaches.

Hebrews 7:1-2
For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, [2] to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace.

Hebrews 7:4-6
Now observe how great this man was to whom Abraham, the patriarch, gave a tenth of the choicest spoils. [5] And those indeed of the sons of Levi who receive the priest's office have commandment in the Law to collect a tenth from the people, that is, from their brethren, although these are descended from Abraham. [6] But the one whose genealogy is not traced from them collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed the one who had the promises.

Now what Paul is saying is this, That even the Father of our faith Abraham paid Tithes to Melchizedek, Also note that he said “sons of Levi who receive the priest's office have commandment in the Law to collect a tenth from the people, that is, from their brethren, although these are descended from Abraham." In other words, that those who were in Abraham also paid the tithes to God.

Now I would say this, yes we are not under the Old Covenant anymore very true. But we are the seeds of Abraham, According to:

Galatians 3:6-7
Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness. [7] Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham.

If we believe God, then we are the sons of Abraham. Alto we are Sons by Faith and Not sons of Natural seed. The Sons by Faith carry a greater importance than those of the natural seed. Even Jesus says the same thing in

John 8:39-44
They answered and said to Him, "Abraham is our father." Jesus said to them, "If you are Abraham's children, do the deeds of Abraham. [40] "But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do. [41] "You are doing the deeds of your father." They said to Him, "We were not born of fornication; we have one Father: God." [42] Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on My own initiative, but He sent Me. [43] "Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. [44] "You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Jesus said to the natural seed of Abraham that their father was the devil. In other words, that ONLY those who have the faith of Abraham were considered the sons of Abraham.

So it is very clear that the seeds of Abraham should believe as Abraham. And as for paying tithes it is a Big YES. Abraham paid the tithes in respect and Love, the Jews were forced to pay, and it was a law because they were a disobedient people. Almost in everything they were always being disobedient to God.

Jeremiah 17:23
But they obeyed not, neither inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff, that they might not hear, nor receive instruction.

He had to write the LAW because of there iniquities.

Galatians 3:19
Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made.

Who do you want to be like, Abraham, or the Jews?

Thanks for reading this
Daryl
www.dfcm.org

2004/4/20 19:05Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: Tithing is not a Old Testament Law !

In another thread on the subject, one of the moderators posted this link:

http://www.acts17-11.com/dialogs_tithe.html

How do you respond to the argument therein?

2 Corinthians 9:7
As every man [b]purposeth[/b] in his [b]heart[/b], so let him [b]give[/b], [b][u]not[/u] grudgingly[/b] or [b][u]out of compulsion[/u][/b]; for God loveth the [b]cheerful[/b] giver.

Personally, I agree with a quote from D.L. Moody (posted by another moderator, actually) that: "the Old Testament rule for giving was 10% but the New Testament rule is 100%"

2004/4/20 19:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Tithing is not a Old Testament Law !

Tithing was viewed in the Old Testament as a sacrifice. Christ has done away with all those sacrifices.

2004/4/20 19:43Profile
DFCM

Re:

Hi Keith,

As I clearly stated in my post, Tithing was before the Old Covenant was even created.

As for the link you sent me. Yes what he is saying is true, as long as you keep it in context to the old testament. AS for the verse Deutron. if you finish reading it. it states that "if you were to far a way to bring your tithes to where the lord choses, then you shall sell it for money and buy your hearts deisre, oxen, etc... and spend it ...." The purpose of this is to communion with their Covenant God.

but i will say again. Tithing is not an Old Testament Law. It was in play before the old testament. Also to the Authors note in the book of Acts, about people selling their goods. Note when one cheats the Lord, they are put to death for lieing about the amount of money the land was sold for. If it was what he claims in his statement. Then it really wouldnt matter what they sold it for huh?

God Bless

2004/4/20 19:53Profile
DFCM

Re:

Hi Preaching,

Thanks for the Post, How many times are we told in the N.T. to be a Abraham? That is the main focus of Pauls teaching.

As I have clearly shown that tithing was way before the Old Covenant was even made. It did not end when the old testament ended. If im not mistaken, you will see in 1 Cor. that Paul himself tell them to lay up there wages weekly for he will come and get them.

1 Cor. 16:1-2
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. [2] Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

I now its hard to believe, but tithing is a major part of our Covenant with God in this New Testament. For we reap what we sow.

God Bless

2004/4/20 20:04Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Thanks for the Post, How many times are we told in the N.T. to be a Abraham? That is the main focus of Pauls teaching.

Then according to your logic, we should still be keeping circumcision.

Quote:

As I have clearly shown that tithing was way before the Old Covenant was even made.

So? They offered animal sacrifices as well. Also remember, Noah was able to disceriminate from clean and unclean animals, prior to the giving of the law. And there were various dietary laws as well. So, why don't you keep these things as well?

2004/4/20 20:58Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

If im not mistaken, you will see in 1 Cor. that Paul himself tell them to lay up there wages weekly for he will come and get them.

1 Cor. 16:1-2
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. [2] Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Hmm... according to how tithing is taught today, the "collection" would have been for the leadership of that local Corinthian church, not Paul and the other churches he wanted to distribute it to, and it would've stayed in that house. This is hardly Paul teaching tithing. It's simply a gift for helping others in need.

2004/4/20 21:05Profile
DFCM

Re:

Hi Preaching,

lol, No, you missed the part in the bible where it says that He was concered Rightounes when he believed God, not the circumcision. here ill post it for you.

Romans 4:3
For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

Galatians 3:6
Even so Abraham believed God, and it WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.

So see circumcision was only a sign, infact is was only a sign of the Covenant with God. It never counted for salvation.

And as for Noah, Yes he did bring the offerings, but if you read your bible correcty, you will clearly see Noah was making a covenant with God. Thats why those animals were offered. Also with your way of thinking, Noah was not circumcised either, and we was counted as rightouness. :-)

God Bless

2004/4/20 21:20Profile
DFCM

Re:

hum, how do you take " I have given Order to the Chruch of Glatatia, even so do Ye" ?

Now don't get me wrong, I believe that the people of God should give 10% to their local church where they attend. I am totally against all this begging and crying that is going on to get money. And i totally agree with the scripture quotes that talks about making a profit from the ministry, but to say tithing is not an issue today, is against the word of God.

looks its plain from your posts that you are totaly against this tithing thing.

Thats fine you want to believe this view. but to post it so other can be influenced by it is another thing.

God Bless

2004/4/20 21:25Profile
shazbot

USA

Re:

Quote:
Thats fine you want to believe this view. but to post it so other can be influenced by it is another thing.

That statement has implications you may not at first realize.

First, if he shouldn't post his view so others can be influenced by it, you shouldn't either.

Second, this kind of argument is dangerously close to a common response made by relativistic atheists, who say that there is no absolute truth: "By keeping the words 'under God' in the pledge of allegiance*, you are imposing your morality and truth on others, and you are wrong to do so."

The response is the same. Logically, you have to enforce a viewpoint on the issue. Something can be either white or black, or even a shade of grey, but it must still be some pigment. Using your logic, the thing must be able to cease to exist, if you follow me. A statement must either be true or false, and can even be half-true, but can never be neither partially true nor partially false. If I said that the sky was grey, that would be a half-truth because the sky is sometimes grey; but you cannot make a statement about the sky that is neither partially true nor partially false. This logic violates the law of the excluded middle.

*or whatever they're arguing, this is merely an example.

2004/4/20 23:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy