Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

INTERCESSION

Is it ok to ask members of the church to pray for you?on your behalf

2006/3/23 3:58Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: INTERCESSION

Absolutely! If the Apostle Paul could ask church members for prayer, we should too.

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
(Eph 6:18-19)

Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;
(Rom 15:30)

Ye also helping together by prayer for us, that for the gift bestowed upon us by the means of many persons thanks may be given by many on our behalf.
(2Co 1:11)

Brethren, pray for us.
(1Th 5:25)

It is one of our greatest duties and privileges to intercede for one another.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/23 8:39Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: INTERCESSION

definitely! That is what family is supposed to do. By the way, we can pray for you here too.

:-D

2006/3/23 10:45Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

so my next question is,those member of the church who passed on from this world,to be with the lord,are they still member of the church, what I am trying to state,does the church cease to exist,after parting this world?or is it every lasting,and if so this be the case.do the members of the church past and present still pray for us who are still on earth?

2006/3/23 16:47Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Very good question, Greenquality. There are a lot of things we wonder about the other side. I think that someone who is in the family of God, continues to be, once they have gone on to be with Him. I don't believe the church ceases to exist, because we will live in Eternity with Jesus and the Father. Jesus Himself, intercedes for us daily before the Throne of God. I'm not sure if the ones who past on pray for us. It is hard to imagine what it would be like to be in God's Presence. Perhaps they can do nothing but worship HIM.....

2006/3/23 16:56Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

Quote...((((I'm not sure if the ones who past on pray for us.)))) Read rev, 5:8 and 8:3-4... so yes it is safe to say....... the House of prayer those of the Church.... the saints still pray, all rejoice in Heaven over one who was lost, and now is Saved.

2006/3/23 18:17Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Read rev, 5:8 and 8:3-4... so yes it is safe to say....... the House of prayer those of the Church.... the saints still pray, all rejoice in Heaven over one who was lost, and now is Saved.

Can see where this is leading and would have to say this, though the verses you mentioned from Revelation show that those in heaven are somehow employed, in ways unknown to us, in presenting the prayer of saints (as incense rising), nothing is ever said about them interceding for us. But we are clearly instructed in the Bible to pray to God alone and that Jesus alone is our intercessor in heaven. The saints in heaven are busy praising God, we should be busy praying to Him.

And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
(Rev 22:8-9)

Also, here is a clip from Albert Barnes' commentary on Rev 5:8...

Which are the prayers of saints - Which represent or denote the prayers of saints. Compare Psa_141:2, “Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense.” The meaning is, that incense was a proper emblem of prayer. This seems to have been in two respects:
(a) as being acceptable to God - as incense produced an agreeable fragrance; and,
(b) in its being wafted toward heaven - ascending toward the eternal throne.
In Rev_8:3, an angel is represented as having a golden censer: “And there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. The representation there undoubtedly is, that the angel is employed in presenting the prayers of the saints which were offered on earth before the throne. See the notes on that passage. It is most natural to interpret the passage before us in the same way. The allusion is clearly to the temple service, and to the fact that incense was offered by the priest in the temple itself at the time that prayer was offered by the people in the courts of the temple. See Luk_1:9-10. The idea here is, therefore, that the representatives of the church in heaven - the elders - spoken of as “priests” Rev_5:10, are described as officiating in the temple above in behalf of the church still below, and as offering incense while the church is engaged in prayer.
It is not said that they offer the prayers themselves, but that they offer incense as representing the prayers of the saints. If this be the correct interpretation, as it seems to be the obvious one, then the passage lays no foundation for the opinion expressed by Prof. Stuart, as derived from this passage (in loco), that prayer is offered by the redeemed in heaven. Whatever may be the truth on that point - on which the Bible seems to be silent - it will find no support from the passage before us. Adoration, praise, thanksgiving, are represented as the employment of the saints in heaven: the only representation respecting prayer as pertaining to that world is, that there are emblems there which symbolize its ascent before the throne, and which show that it is acceptable to God. It is an interesting and beautiful representation that there are in heaven appropriate symbols of ascending prayer, and that while in the outer courts here below we offer prayer, incense, emblematic of it, ascends in the holy of holies above. The impression which this should leave on our minds ought to be, that our prayers are wafted before the throne, and are acceptable to God.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/23 19:35Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

so you are saying..., that when it comes to prayer...,we only pray on our behalf,..and not the behalf of those in the body of the church,.......and that the prayer of the saints in rev, are just being represented as smoke from incence,... and not litterary prayer them -self's just as a symbol or a FIG of speach,...I thought prayer's are like sweet smelling incence To God. show me where the duty or role of the body of the Church,...changes or it's members,when they pass?....... dose the role of the church stop to exist? OR are they =the church alive in Christ,just as those who=church are alive on earth in Christ..... is not praying= Asking,Thanking and Praising.. does this stop in Heaven,

2006/3/23 19:58Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

I'm leading this in a fashion, those who are alive in christ are in fact alive! Christ is the Head of the Church. we as the Church the Body of Christ,the branch of the true vine, submit to the Head of the Church.we are told to pray for other.does this stop in Heaven.? think about it.why is so hard to comprehend.I know that the members of the body of Christ,who are no longer here on earth are praying with out end for us and those who might be saved!thur the Grace of our Lord Christ.

2006/3/23 20:14Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
so you are saying..., that when it comes to prayer...,we only pray on our behalf,..and not the behalf of those in the body of the church,.......and that the prayer of the saints in rev, are just being represented as smoke from incence,... and not litterary prayer them -self's just as a symbol or a FIG of speach,...I thought prayer's are like sweet smelling incence To God. show me where the duty or role of the body of the Church,...changes or it's members,when they pass?....... dose the role of the church stop to exist? OR are they =the church alive in Christ,just as those who=church are alive on earth in Christ..... is not praying= Asking,Thanking and Praising.. does this stop in Heaven,

With all due respect, I believe you are clouding the issue here. Here's the one question you should ask yourself, why would I want to pray to anyone other than God when He is waiting to hear and answer prayer? The Lord Jesus has brought us near by a new and living way, access to the holiest by His blood, why would you rather pray to dead men than to the living, prayer-answering God?
"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

As far as asking for prayer goes, I'm going to ask those whom I know can hear me.;-)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/23 21:09Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy