Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

God's Timing

Title: God's Timing
Devotional: Streams in the Desert
Author: Mrs. Charles E. Cowman

"And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of Mount Sinai an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush…saying…I have seen the affliction of my people which is in Egypt, and I have heard their groaning, and am come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send thee into Egypt" (Acts 7:30, 32, 34).

That was a long wait in preparation for a great mission. When God delays, He is not inactive. He is getting ready His instruments, He is ripening our powers; and at the appointed moment we shall arise equal to our task. Even Jesus of Nazareth was thirty years in privacy, growing in wisdom before He began His work. --Dr. Jowett

God is never in a hurry but spends years with those He expects to greatly use. He never thinks the days of preparation too long or too dull.
The hardest ingredient in suffering is often time. A short, sharp pang is easily borne, but when a sorrow drags its weary way through long, monotonous years, and day after day returns with the same dull routine of hopeless agony, the heart loses its strength, and without the grace of God, is sure to sink into the very sullenness of despair. Joseph's was a long trial, and God often has to burn His lessons into the depths of our being by the fires of protracted pain. "He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver," but He knows how long, and like a true goldsmith He stops the fires the moment He sees His image in the glowing metal. We may not see now the outcome of the beautiful plan which God is hiding in the shadow of His hand; it yet may be long concealed; but faith may be sure that He is sitting on the throne, calmly waiting the hour when, with adoring rapture, we shall say, "All things have worked together for good." Like Joseph, let us be more careful to learn all the lessons in the school of sorrow than we are anxious for the hour of deliverance. There is a "need-be" for every lesson, and when we are ready, our deliverance will surely come, and we shall find that we could not have stood in our place of higher service without the very things that were taught us in the ordeal. God is educating us for the future, for higher service and nobler blessings; and if we have the qualities that fit us for a throne, nothing can keep us from it when God's time has come. Don't steal tomorrow out of God's hands. Give God time to speak to you and reveal His will. He is never too late; learn to wait. --Selected

"He never comes too late; He knoweth what is best;
Vex not thyself in vain; until He cometh--REST."

Do not run impetuously before the Lord; learn to wait His time: the minute-hand as well as the hour-hand must point the exact moment for action.

2006/3/22 6:19Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: God's Timing

Hi makrothumia...!

Thank you for sharing this. The problem that many believers have is that they neglect to learn or grow during such waiting periods. But like Brother Ravenhill said in the Interview (available on this website), this waiting period is like a period of [i]gestation[/i]. Sometimes, we want the promises of God to be delivered instantly -- yet we forget that a gestation process takes time. It gets us ready for the things that we ask.

Sometimes, believers are so caught up into the works of God from the [i]past[/i] -- or even desires for such works in the [i]future[/i] -- that they neglect God in the [i]now[/i]. We want Pentecost, but we often neglect the period between Christ's Ascension (Acts 1:9) to Pentecost (Acts 2:1-4).

I remember walking with God one day (out in the countryside), where I was bringing some of my needs and desires before Him. I had been bringing these things before the Lord for quite some time, and I was puzzled at the Lord's silence on the matters. Suddenly, I felt such a warmth in my innerman -- as if God himself was embracing me as we walked. I stood still, just soaking in this touch of God. It was as if God was telling me to forget about everything -- if just for the moment -- and just rest in His arms. I've since learned that this is my own personal "revival." The highest calling of man is to be able to experience such personal and intimate times with the Lord -- and pray for others to experience the same.

I heard a song once (written by Scott Wesley Brown, but recorded by Angie Lewis) called [i]Be Still[/i].

[b]Be Still[/b]
by Scott Wesley Brown

I want to hear you speak to me
The words I’m longing for
‘Cause sitting here in silence
Makes me cry

I’m learning how to wait for you
And trust you with my life
[b]Your answers come so slowly, Lord
Yet they always come on time[/b].

[i]Chorus[/i]
‘Cause you hear me
Every breath I take
You see me
Every move I make
And you tell me to be still
And know that you are God

Sometimes my Lord I wish that I
Could look into your eyes
And feel you hold me in your arms
So tight.

‘Cause I am weary running for
The answers that I seek
I need the comfort of your love
The stillness of your peace

[i]Chorus 2[/i]
‘Cause you hear me
Every breath I take
You see me
Every move I make
And you tell me to be still
You tell me to be still
And know that you are God

:-)

2006/3/22 11:50Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

Thanks for sharing the song, brother. Your right, A beautiful thing happens when we learn to wait and be still before HIM...a deeper trust. And sometimes quietness and silence is like a fire of testing, that He chooses for those who will be used by Him.
Blessings to you.

2006/3/22 12:12Profile

Re: God's timing

Dear sister,

This is God's timing for me to hear this message for myself, as well as pass it on to my dear friend Adam, who is coming through a long hard slog towards God Himself. Thank you for posting it.

2006/3/23 10:09

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy