SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : seminary..........have we forgotten our only teacher?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
W_D_J_D

seminary..........have we forgotten our only teacher?

(Matthew 23:1-12)
Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, 2 saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3 Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. 4 For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5 But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. 6 They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, 7 greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.' 8 But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. 9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

nay or yay?[b]8 But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. 9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.[/b]

2006/3/21 23:47Profile

Re: seminary..........have we forgotten our only teacher?

I hope we don't forget W_D_J_D.

I Love John 16:13 and 2Ti 2:15.

Some folks know how to use schooling though.

IF they can find a good one out there anymore.

God Bless brother !

2006/3/22 12:17
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re: seminary.... have we forgotten our only teacher?

What I find peculiar… is how an individual who believes God has directed them to Seminary and sits under Godly learned men can be criticized , but somehow it is justified, even beneficial and never questioned if we glean the same information from books or commentaries these same Instructors may publish.

Criticized to sit in the classroom……

No criticism to gain the same instruction from other methods and means?

Seems rather inconsistent? Yet just today I read on another current thread a poster being slighted for little else than the individual is “in class” in the more traditional sense. Are we not all in class to some degree, we who are studying to show ourselves approved unto God, whether by books, lectures, audio, internet, video etc….

Maybe I am missing something here?

MeAgain I believe is correct:

Quote:
Some folks know how to use schooling though,IF they can find a good one out there anymore.

tonys

2006/3/22 14:52Profile

Re:

Tony, if you're referring to the KJV thread, the "slighting" was going both ways.

I'm NOT against education. I have a Master's Degree. But it depends on who you sit under. If you're under someone who believes one way, most likely he's gonna teach you to believe that way... etc.

Go to a liberal University, chances are you'll come out a liberal. Same for the opposite.

Just because a college or seminary claims to be Christian doesnt make it so.

Krispy

2006/3/22 17:02

Re:

Looks like you and Tony do agree and me too, in that "IF it's a good" one part.

But I'll tell ya's ... what thrills my soul, is that Good Study is available to all of us now.

Please don't get tired of me talking about the e-sword or those by Zodhiates. I mean no harm by that.
I've been to Bible college and like KingJimmy said, "use it or lose it" ... and I'm getting older now and my memory is not so sharp, also because of health problems, so I can't praise God enough, for making #1 Computers available to me in 2002 and then for Rick Meyer's burden with the e-sword.
I have bought a few Bible Programs too ... but I always wind up back on the e-sword for "ease of use". I can keep the other's open for stuff, but to "copy and paste into Study Notes" etc, I just find the e-sword a whiz.

Then, all the sites, like this one and CCEL etc., makes it so I can't get off of this thing.
I've grown roots into my desk chair ... HA ... only UP side of being disabled ... Praising God for being able to Eat His Word all day.
Never gets boring and the more ya eat the more ya want and ya do start to lose your appetite for everything else. Weeeeeeee. It is fun and wonderful. Makes ya thirsty for more and more and more. Yipeee, I love it.

O.K., that's enough outta me ... but I think it's great that, those who can't go or don't feel led to go or can't find a good school near-by, can educate themselves on His Word ENDLESSLY, in the comfort and low expense of their own homes Now. Yaa-hooooo ... Praise God for as long as He makes all'a this available.

2006/3/22 18:41
W_D_J_D

Re: seminary..........have we forgotten our only teacher?

(Jeremiah 6:9-17)
9 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, They shall throughly glean the remnant of Israel as a vine: turn back thine hand as a grapegatherer into the baskets. 10 To whom shall I speak, and give warning, that they may hear? behold, their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot hearken: behold, the word of the LORD is unto them a reproach; they have no delight in it. 11 Therefore I am full of the fury of the LORD; I am weary with holding in: I will pour it out upon the children abroad, and upon the assembly of young men together: for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days. 12 And their houses shall be turned unto others, with their fields and wives together: for I will stretch out my hand upon the inhabitants of the land, saith the LORD. 13 For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely. 14 They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. 15 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall: at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, saith the LORD. 16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein. 17 Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken.

[b]13 For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely. 14 They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.[/b]

2006/3/22 19:55Profile

Re:

Oh yeah, this is a relevent Scripture.

It's not just military peace here ... it's the "let's not make doctrinal waves" Peace, that the aposate 'church' sings. Eccumenicalism, etc.

Definitely these verses are now.

Two N.T. verses go along with these.

They'll cry peace, peace and sudden destruction shall come.

And because they did have the Love of the truth God gave them over to believe the lie of antichrist.

And the third aspect of this ... is that because we love this present evil world, we "covet Peace" by governmental means, and so will compromise to keep this peace and not draw our line in the sand on Truth and be persecuted with those who will stand on truth.

Sad stuff ... but that is God's Word ... some hard words and some comforting or postive to our ears. To know the balance is to know God.
100% Love but 100% Holy judgement - both at the same time ... yet still the Same God.

Open our eyes Lord.

2006/3/22 21:33

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy