SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Miracles

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Miracles

Miracles

As many of you know, I grew up in a violent alcoholic household. My mother was a Christian and suffered greatly at the hands of my Father. After almost fifteen years, my Father asked her ,"Why don't you just leave." At that moment she felt released by the Spirit to leave the situation. She had no where to go and found herself and my eleven year old brother in the homeless shelter, mostly for battered women, run by the Salvation Army. For centuries, the great fear of the working class people is that they would end up in the "poor house." This center was the modern day equivalent of the "poor house," and carried the same stigma.

When you entered the center, you were put on a list for government housing. It could take a long time for a house to be allocated to you and when it was, it would always be in the worse projects. When my mother went in, she witnessed to the other woman and she told them that the Lord would give her a house soon.

There was a woman, with three children, who flirted with all the men. My mom took an instant dislike to her and thought how immoral she was and was full of judgment in her heart for this woman and the woman sensed it of course. The Lord rebuked my mom and reminded her that He loved this woman and had died for her. My mom gave her a book on the Gospel of John and they became friends. The woman later told her that this was the greatest gift she had ever received, my mom now realized why she was there.

By now, three months had passed and still my mom was in the center. It is a hard place to live, especially with a child, and one had to be out by 8.00 in the morning and not allowed back until 3.00 in the afternoon. Men would frequently come looking for their wives and shout and scream outside the locked doors, until the police would come and take them away. My mother was growing weary and beginning to think that the Lord had let her down. She shared this with her close Christian friend who told her that the private rental company who my mom had rented from for years(the same company that owned the apartment my father was still in) had an apartment available. Housing was very hard to come by in Scotland at this time, unlike America.

My mother went along to the office and talked to the lady in charge. This took humility as the house that my father was still living in was $1400 in arrears. This is a lot of money now, but even more 20 years ago. The lady in charge told my mom that the apartment was gone. My mom started telling the lady her whole situation and about being a Christian. The woman asked if she would come back after lunch. As my mother walked out of the office, the Lord spoke clearly to her, "Do you believe that I can give you a house?" she answered "Yes Lord." He then instructed her to go and collect some money that she had been putting away(with a friend so my father could not get it)This money was for decorating any apartment she would get. She obeyed, collected the money and went back to the office after lunch.
The lady sat behind her desk. She had a set of keys in her hand, she looked straight at my mom, and said nothing for a moment, as if she was pondering something and then said, almost as if to herself, "Why did I keep these keys for three months? Surely there is a God.........you can have this house." From the moment my mother walked into the homeless center, that apartment, those keys, were waiting on her, the Lord had everything in hand.

Miracles, more often than naught, come through obedience and trust. We like to think it is our faith that moves the hand of God, yet trust and obedience seem to be the key. In Luke 5:1-11 Jesus tells Peter to ' launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch." Peter complains that they have toiled all night and have caught nothing. The dawn has came and went, the best time for fishing, and now a Carpenter is telling a Fisherman how to catch fish, it made no sense. Yet, even although Peter lacked faith, "nevertheless at your Word I will let down my net." The catch was so great it almost broke their nets.
Perhaps it is time for you to launch out into the deep? Have you heard the Word of God, has He spoken to you? Even if it makes no sense to you, even if your skeptical, just be obedient and see what the Lord will do. If He has spoken to you, and it makes no sense, put sense aside. Trust and obey and you will see the miraculous. In John 21, in another fishing miracle, Peter is told to cast his net on the other side, probably only a few feet away. What sense does that make? Yet we see the lesson, obey the Lord, right down to the detail and you will see the miraculous unfold. He might even tell you to go catch a fish and take the coin from its mouth, if He does, do it.

JESUS

YOUR LOVE IS THE FIRE IN MY HEART
YOUR LOVE IS THE CONSUMING FURNACE OF MY SOUL
FOREVER MY HEART SHALL BURN AND GLOW IN YOUR MAJESTIC PRESENCE
I SHALL NEVER FORSAKE YOU, AND FROM YOU I SHALL NEVER PART

YOU ARE THE AIR THAT I BREATHE, EVERY STEP THAT I TAKE
EVERY THOUGHT, EVERY ACT, EVERY DEED
YOU ARE THE REASON I LIVE, AND SHALL FOREVER MORE
THERE IS SIMPLY NOTHING MORE THAT I NEED

2006/3/20 20:35

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.