Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Fatal Disease

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

A Fatal Disease

A team of doctors and other health care professionals are huddled together in a circle around a hospital bed on which a patient lies dying of a fatal disease. They discuss his disease in their familiar medical jargon. One doctor opens his 2000 page medical textbook and reads about the possible etiology. The data indicates that the predisposing factor is lifestyle. However, statistics also suggest a strong heredity factor. Next, signs and symptoms and lab reports are discussed extensively. The pathologist expresses his observation about the frequent occurrence of this disease in the hospital - with people dying of it every day. Few glance down at the bewildered patient. Together they all march out of his room.

The radiologist next leads the pack to the radiology room to examine the x-rays. A disagreement erupts about an x-ray report. One doctor interprets it quite differently than another. The rest of the team listens quietly, trying to figure out what side to take.

Finally, they decide that it is time to go home. They eagerly disperse, glad that it is the weekend.

On Monday morning they assemble in the lecture hall. The dietitian shares her perception of the causes of the disease: bad diet. She gives an excellent lecture on nutrition, and then distributes a list of does and don’ts for all those who exhibit signs of the disease. The other experts do likewise. A lot of lists are passed around - all aimed to help those who present symptoms of the disease.

They all feel encouraged and sing a song about their wonderful hospital facility and especially its founder. They feel extra benevolent and collect financial contributions for a new facility to research on the fatal disease. An announcement is made regarding an upcoming conference where they can learn more about this illness. Many sign up. They are all eager to fight the problem, and are confident that they will succeed.

Then it’s lunchtime…………….

You may be wondering by now – what does this have to do with anything?

Well, Jeremiah speaks of an incurable disease. He also chastises the people for their inability to understand how serious it is, and how unable they are to cure it.

"Your wound is INCURABLE,
your injury beyond healing.
There is no one to plead your cause,
no remedy for your sore, no healing for you."
Jer. 30:12

“Prophets and priests alike all practice deceit.
They dress the wound of my people
as though it were not serious.
Peace, peace they say,
when there is no peace. ” Jer. 6:15.

"... [they are] not able to cure you,
not able to heal your sores." Hosea 5:13

Still today God’s “medical” workers are trying hard to cure the fatal sin disease. In their pride they think that they are on the right track towards victory. Many believe they have the answer, but have never proved its effectiveness. They fail to see the foolishness of their ways, and the futility of their "lists". They have spent much time and energy focusing on the disease and fail to look to the one and only source of healing.

But this is not the end. There is hope. God says:

[img align=left]http://www.thewayback.net/Images/art/goldleaf.jpg[/img]"I will restore you to health and heal your wounds..." Jer. 30:17
..the leaves are for healing... Ez. 47:12

Diane

2006/3/19 19:00Profile

Re: A Fatal Disease

Oh Diane, I liked this post! Let me add some scripture with this challenge...

Is this what we really believe? Is this what we take to the world?

[b]Revelation 22[/b]:1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each yielding its fruit every month. [b]The leaves of the tree were for the [u]healing[/u] of the nations[/b]. (NKJV)

Here is another description of the disease...

Psalm 38
Psalms 38:1 A Psalm of David. To bring to remembrance.

O LORD, do not rebuke me in Your wrath,
Nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure!
2 For Your arrows pierce me deeply,
And Your hand presses me down.
3 There is no soundness in my flesh
Because of Your anger,
Nor any health in my bones
Because of my sin.
4 For my iniquities have gone over my head;
Like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
5 My wounds are foul and festering
Because of my foolishness.
6 I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly;
I go mourning all the day long.
7 For my loins are full of inflammation,
And there is no soundness in my flesh.
8 I am feeble and severely broken;
I groan because of the turmoil of my heart.
9 Lord, all my desire is before You;
And my sighing is not hidden from You.
10 My heart pants, my strength fails me;
As for the light of my eyes, it also has gone from me.
11 My loved ones and my friends stand aloof from my plague,
And my relatives stand afar off.
12 [b]Those also who seek my life lay snares for me;
Those who seek my hurt speak of destruction,
And plan deception all the day long[/b]...

17 For I am ready to fall,
And my sorrow is continually before me.
18 For I will declare my iniquity;
I will be in anguish over my sin....

22 Make haste to help me, [b]O Lord, [u]my[/u] salvation![/b]

Verse 12 is so touching! Even in this weakened state - or perhaps because of it - this person is a prey to those who would destroy him. I am being challenged again and again about my attitude to 'the weak'. Am I strong and harsh :-( or strong and gentle? (Progress is needed, that's for sure... :-? )

2006/3/20 8:34
roadsign

Re: Finding the right cure

Quote:
4 For my iniquities have gone over my head;
Like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
5 My wounds are foul and festering
Because of my foolishness.
6 I am troubled, I am bowed down greatly;
I go mourning all the day long.

Thanks Dorcas. The psalmist understood the real need in his life,and the only real solution
A great deal of human effort has been exerted in an attempt to alleviate the sin problems in the world. And it is ALL LEGALISTIC – all trying to fix problems by following a prescribed set of ‘laws”, that is, should’s and aught-tos – whatever that may be, whether one be an atheist, or a religious person, a health professional, or whatever. It is all trying to fix the SYMPTOMS, not the root problem; trying to fix the flesh, for which there is NO CURE. And it only makes the problem worse. It increases the guilt and condemnation, and can even destroy people. This is not the path to Christ.
Quote:
12 Those also who seek my life lay snares for me;

Christ came to set us free from man's snares - that only produce guilt and condemnation. Christ came to clean our conscience. If we could understand that all sins – whether sexual sins, greed, self-righteousness, or whatever have a root of guilt thinly covered by a stony conscience, then we are on the path to cooperating with God’s plan rather than lay on more guilt trips (the “lists of does and don’ts)

When we understand the nature of sin, we are perhaps open to consider God’s way. He does not cure the flesh. Instead, he gives us NEW LIFE – which is Christ’s life within us. If only we could see how powerful God’s GRACE is to transform lives!!!! Then we would partner with God rather than waste our time building useless hospitals (figuratively). And we will also have more love (empathy) for the sinner, and won’t just talk “over his head”, fixated on his condition.

May God move us in that direction.

Diane

2006/3/20 10:30Profile
h2oboy

Georgia, USA

Re:

Hi Diane,
Amen! I really enjoyed your post.

Diane said:

"Then we would partner with God rather than waste our time building useless hospitals (figuratively)."

The Lord spoke to me recently indicating that He is raising up M.A.S.H. units. That is Mobile Apostolic Spiritual Hospitals.

It is time for the body of Christ to get outside the four walls where we have waited for the sick and wounded to come to be healed and take the ministry of the Spirit, the Word of God, to the battle front.

The wounded have been even more crushed by our legalism and they are no more well for our use of the Sword. What they need is precise use of a compassionate surgical knife that loosens them from the disease.

Grace is what they need. Not the cheap grace that so many preach but that which puts them into intimate relationship with a compassionate Father who imparts life by the Spirit such that they walk in newness and not the letter.

Thanks for sharing.
Jeff

2006/3/20 13:08Profile
roadsign

Re: dead living people

Quote:
What they need is precise use of a compassionate surgical knife that loosens them from the disease.

So right. And it is Christ who is the Physician. When we try to do it, we kill the patient. And there are a lot of dead living people in our man- made "hospitals" - dead in Christ. Still clinging to legal self-righteousness.

I keep on saying, Revival is God prying our hands off of his project. Then his Spirit can work unhindered.
Diane

2006/3/20 19:59Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re: A Fatal Disease

Amen

:)

2006/3/20 21:51Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy