SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Blue Letter Bible Lookup

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Blue Letter Bible Lookup

Have I recommended the [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/search.html#strongs]Blue Letter Bible Lookup Page[/url]? It is really a very useful and powerful tool. You do not need to know the actual Greek or Hebrew word but can search and compare from the Strongs numbers. Many Bible Programmes have this kind of facility but I don't know of any which do the job as well and as comprehensively as the Blue Letter Bible resource.

Here is the [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.html]Home Page[/url] This is where you might begin your search.

There is a helpful [url=http://blueletterbible.org/help.html#1]Tutorial[/url] which should help you to get started.

[b]Try this.[/b] Suppose you wanted to understand how the scripture uses the word 'love'. OK
Go to [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/search.html#lexiconc]The English Definition Page[/url] and type "lov" and click the top radio button. That will give you more that 30 words in the Bible which are translated 'love'.

Scroll down the page and chose the find Greek word 'agapao'...
Now double click the 'Strongs Number' 25 in this case. This will give you a page full of information which includes a very full definition of the Greek word from the Thayer Lexicon and EVERY TIME the Bible used the word 'agapao' irrespective of how the translators actually translated it. If you read these verses you will get a good sense of how the word is used and you are on your way to building up your own understanding of Bible words.

There are lots more facilities on the Blue Letter Bible page. enjoy!

Take a look and if you get stuck I will be happy to try to lend a hand.

2006/3/17 10:17Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re: Blue Letter Bible Lookup

It's a great tool Ron. What's your take on the Thayer's lexicon? I use this site quite often and it's been an excellent supplement to e-Sword.

I'm sure that it will benefit those who are led to use it.

2006/3/17 10:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I've just written to Blue Letter Bible to suggest they might add a comment on the Thayer 'help' page to explain that Thayer was a Unitarian and that at times this influenced his scholarship.

I justed added a mini-tutorial to the original post.

2006/3/17 10:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Thanks for the info Ron. Another good resource comes from [url=http://www.studylight.org/]Study Light[/url]. The 'Search the Bible' tool at the top of their site is a very helpful. One nice feature is that you can narrow your search to certain sections of the Bible and you can search by a wide range of translations.

Also, if you check the box marked 'include resources' the search results include links to lexicon (Thayer/Smith), concordance, dictionary, and encyclopedia resources. You will need to download the fonts for the Greek and Hebrew.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/3/17 12:38Profile

Re:

Hey Ron, I'd like your opinion on the 10 volume Kittel's.

Because of his "Nazi background" so they say ... that we can't trust his Lexicons and we got them 100 years ago (Ha) for a wedding present, but still use them despite what we've heard of him since. Some folks threw theirs away literally in the trash. I thought that may be an over-reaction but I felt really bad if what I had heard of him in more recent years is true. Do you know any accurate sites about his background and qualifications.

I don't know ... I still like Zodhiates pretty well, though his little "commentary on verses" notes could have been left out alrighty.

2006/3/17 15:00
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Ron
Yes, I have used Study Light quite a bit and I think it has a more comprehensive array of commentaries online, in particular Clarke and Robertson's Word Pictures. These are such valuable tools for Bible study. Robinson incorporated much of Vincent's Studies into his so it is very rich.

The thing that impresses me with Blue Letter Bible is this function to instantly trace the Biblical use of a word and to see its nuances. eg the word [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/2/1142625583-4983.html]katargeo[/url] translated 'destroy' in Romans 6:6. Click on the word and see what it puts together!! It gives me the Strongs information regarding how frequently it is translated by what in the KJV..
eg AV - destroy 5, do away 3, abolish 3, cumber 1, loose 1, cease 1,
     fall 1, deliver 1, misc 11; 27
It gives me the full Thayer Lexicon definition
and also a view of every use of katargeo throughout the NT.
...all on one page... an the touch of a button... surely this is what computers were invented for. ;-)

If I look up the word 'destroy' and opt for Vine's I get the whole of Vine's Expository Definition eg [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/choice/1142626157-5952.htm]abolish[/url] This is stunning stuff. (AH, that one didn't work, carrying too many parameters, I think. I can talk through anyone who wants to pursue this.)

Really the appeal for me is that I can mirror my old study habits exactly online and add things that were inaccessible to me before.

2006/3/17 15:13Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Hey Ron, I'd like your opinion on the 10 volume Kittel's.

I've never used them so I can't really comment. I'll have a trawl around the web to see what people have to say.

Quote:
I don't know ... I still like Zodhiates pretty well, though his little "commentary on verses" notes could have been left out alrighty.

Did I tell you that I once pastored a church which had been pastored by his Brother Argos Z. I met him twice and he was a godly and gracious man. I have never used the Zhodiates translation and only really seen in in the hands of others.

edit: Can someone point me to a sober website which explains Kittel's position re Nazism? The only sites I can find are those 'spitting fire' and I find it difficult to measure the value of such hostile witness.

2006/3/17 15:18Profile

Re:

Thank you Ron :-) .

That was my feeling also, ie, the "spitting fire" and why I kept the books.

For quick use, I like Zodhiate's Lexicon. And the other Hebrew dictionary others did for his set for AMG. I haven't seen any "translation" by him, but in his set, he numbers each word to the Strong's and puts an abbreviation of the grammar over top of each word also. For lazy folks like me.

Yes, you told me about his brother once. That is really neat.
I respect the man for his knowledge of the Greek.
He's reformed theology and rapture views were the only part that I could live without. If his Word Study New Testament was just a Word Study, then I think he did a disservice to "translate Doctrine" in little notes at some page's bottoms.
But he is Greek and knows the language well enough to be respected and no one else has done the grammar for us before. Lotsa credit given to him on that score.

Thank you for looking into Mr. Kittel for me. I do appreciate that a lot.

LORD Bless ~ and welcome back !

2006/3/17 19:01
dohzman

Re:

Quote:
I think. I can talk through anyone who wants to pursue this.

I'll probably take you up on this offer!

2006/3/20 17:07Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Yes, I love it!

2006/3/20 17:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy