SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why is it that...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Why is it that...

I would like to ask a question to everyone here. OK, here goes. Tonight my wife and some friends of ours are going to see Third Day perform. Now there is nothing wrong with this I suppose, but why is it that we as Christians get more excited about going to shows, or even to hear certain speakers, but do not have the same excitement about prayer, or going to church?

2006/3/16 18:06Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re: Why is it that...

Is it like having a "revival meeting" and hardly anyone shows up but you have a concert in church, and theres a buzz or flury of activity going on to promote a concert?

Is it because one is word centered and the other is blessing centered?

One appeals to the soul & the other to the flesh?

2006/3/16 18:14Profile
saltlicker20

Grand Saline, TX

Re: Why is it that...

Quote:
why is it that we as Christians get more excited about going to shows, or even to hear certain speakers, but do not have the same excitement about prayer, or going to church?

Because we haven't met God face to face yet. We get excited at the sound of a musician's voice, but our impure hearts keep us from hearing the living God's voice - which created excitement.

eh, that's my two cents.

DO
I Pet 4:2

2006/3/16 18:25Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I guess it goes to show how selfish we can be even in something that is supposedly "spiritual"
I know many will say that Christ is being worshipped there, but what Christ is it? Maybe it hits home with me now more than ever, because I see it first hand.
It's just that I came out of that scene where we played shows, and went to shows, and got all psyched about seeing the band on stage. At one time I was in one of those bands(before CHRIST) on stage, but I hate the fact that I ever did any of that and count it as dung.
I am disturbed, and grieved that we have Christian Rock Stars who get fruit baskets, and water, and this kind of thing, and that kind of thing, when the majority of the time Christ is left off to the side because He doesn't fit the gig.
Oh well, what to do, what to do?
We can't just throw the baby out with the bath water because I believe this is a symptom of a much greater and deadlier disease - No cross in our Gospel. Oh yes we have the Cross for people to come to, but not the cross to take up! thus people carry over their same habits but find a "christian" alternative hence we have "christian rock, and christian death metal, and christian this, and christian that" so we buy it all up to put on some kind of show as to how holy we are, and meanwhile the poor go hungry, missionaries lack funds, and Christ sits on the outside knocking.
I'm sorry if I am ranting, but this really needs to stop. To quote Jesus "that which is highly esteemed by the world is an abomination to God", and to quote a godly preacher " is the world crcuified to you, or does it fascinate you?"

2006/3/16 20:49Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Hi roaringlamb,

May I give one advice: You don't have to go there. You need not to go there and be part of that.

You say: "I'm sorry if I am ranting, but this really needs to stop" You are the one from which should begin 'stopping'. Sell the tickets if you can and buy some bibles and throw them out.
This night you can pray for that crowd, I believe this sermon:[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1865]Finished with the world[/url] by Keith Daniel will be inspiring enough to enter you into prayer and brokeness before the Lord. There are few examples in this sermon about such concerts, you will be shaken believe me.

God bless you.

2006/3/16 22:21Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Thank you for your concern, but I decided long ago not to partake. I took a little flack for it, and even found myself making excuses to those who were going. My wife though knew why I was not going. It is dificult, because though I do not want her there, I am not the Holy Spirit, but as I recall in that wonderful sermon by Bro. Keith, he spoke of Will McFarlane praying for his brother Dudley about the dance. That is what I intend to do.

2006/3/16 22:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy