SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  "A Vision of the Lost" by William Booth (Founder of The Salvation Army)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Combat_Chuck

"A Vision of the Lost" by William Booth (Founder of The Salvation Army)

Greetings,

I'm sure some of you have read Booth's "vision of the lost", and I'm sure many of you have not! This is fabulous reading and well worth your time. This message must be prophetic, It's biblical too, i think... Isn't there a sea of souls or something mentioned in Revelation, maybe isaiah too? Can't remember... Anyways!

I don't want too make this thread huge and bulky, so I'll give ya the link where I posted the article in my blog:

http://combatchuck.blogspot.com/2006/01/vision-of-lost-by-william-booth.html

Blessings to you!
Adam

2006/3/15 4:31Profile
Combat_Chuck

Re: "A Vision of the Lost" by William Booth (Founder of The Salvation Army

Here's a pretty awesome quote, "In answer to your inquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell."

Written over a hundred years ago!

2006/3/15 4:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
Here's a pretty awesome quote, "In answer to your inquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell."

How prophetic was that!

Krispy

2006/3/15 9:01
Combat_Chuck

Re:

here's a pretty good writeup on booth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Booth

2006/3/16 5:04Profile
tinluke

New England USA

Re: wow

Although I'm familiar with him, I have never read any of his writings. His vision of lost souls sounds so similar to a vision I recently had. What I saw isn't a fraction of what Booth saw, but I am not a fraction of the follower of Christ either...

http://www.etpv.org/2005/aroh.html

It's a short vision, but definitley for today and for the Body of Christ. Please take a moment to read it.

p.s. please ignore the typos. i'm zealous for the Lord, but grammer... mmm not one of my strong point!

2006/3/16 10:23Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Tina,

I read your vision and it is exactly right on.
God Bless you.

Murray

2006/3/16 10:27Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re: Booth's writings

General Booth's wife, Catherine, wrote some awesome stuff as well. "Aggressive Christianity" is one of the most powerful treatises I have ever read.

It's hard to find one place to read all of the Booths' writings, but you may be able to search for them with some success.

You should check out
http://www.project117.usaeast.org/resources/docs/

It's a good place to start!

The early Salvationist really had hearts for the lost, and holiness was a major emphasis of theirs.

2006/3/16 12:35Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

[b]Many spent their time in amusing themselves with growing flowers on the side of the rock, others in painting pieces of cloth or in playing music, or in dressing themselves up in different styles and walking about to be admired. Some occupied themselves chiefly in eating and drinking, others were taken up with arguing about the poor drowning creatures that had already been rescued.

But the thing to me that seemed the most amazing was that those on the platform to whom He called, who heard His voice and felt that they ought to obey it - at least they said they did - those who confessed to love Him much were in full sympathy with Him in the task He had undertaken - who worshipped Him or who professed to do so - were so taken up with their trades and professions, their money saving and pleasures, their families and circles, their religions and arguments about it, and their preparation for going to the mainland, that they did not listen to the cry that came to them from this Wonderful Being who had Himself gone down into the sea

Some wanted Him to come and stay with them, and spend His time and strength in making them happier. Others wanted Him to come and take away various doubts and misgivings they had concerning the truth of some letters He had written them. Some wanted Him to come and make them feel more secure on the rock - so secure that they would be quite sure that they should never slip off again into the ocean. Numbers of others wanted Him to make them feel quite certain that they would really get off the rock and onto the mainland someday: because as a matter of fact, it was well known that some had walked so carelessly as to loose their footing, and had fallen back again into the stormy waters.

So these people used to meet and get up as high on the rock as they could, and looking towards the mainland (where they thought the Great Being was) they would cry out, "Come to us! Come and help us!" And all the while He was down (by His Spirit) among the poor struggling, drowning creatures in the angry deep, with His arms around them trying to drag them out, and looking up - oh! so longingly but all in vain - to those on the rock, crying to them with His voice all hoarse from calling, "Come to Me! Come, and help Me!

You must do it! You cannot hold back. You have enjoyed yourself in Christianity long enough. You have had pleasant feelings, pleasant songs, pleasant meetings, pleasant prospects. There has been much of human happiness, much clapping of hands and shouting of praises - very much of heaven on earth.

Now then, go to God and tell Him you are prepared as much as necessary to turn your back upon it all, and that you are willing to spend the rest of your days struggling in the midst of these perishing multitudes, whatever it may cost you.

You must do it. With the light that is now broken in upon your mind and the call that is now sounding in your ears, and the beckoning hands that are now before your eyes, you have no alternative. To go down among the perishing crowds is your duty. Your happiness from now on will consist in sharing their misery, your ease in sharing their pain, your crown in helping them to bear their cross, and your heaven in going into the very jaws of hell to rescue them.

Now what will you do?
[/b]

2006/3/16 16:49Profile
Combat_Chuck

Re:

Quote:

tinluke wrote:
Although I'm familiar with him, I have never read any of his writings. His vision of lost souls sounds so similar to a vision I recently had. What I saw isn't a fraction of what Booth saw, but I am not a fraction of the follower of Christ either...

http://www.etpv.org/2005/aroh.html

It's a short vision, but definitley for today and for the Body of Christ. Please take a moment to read it.

p.s. please ignore the typos. i'm zealous for the Lord, but grammer... mmm not one of my strong point!

Wow, powerful! The Lord gave me a dream about 4 months ago... You can read it here, http://combatchuck.blogspot.com/2005/12/vision-african-girl.html

All of these dreams and visions in this thread seem to have a common theme. They must be from the same God!

2006/3/16 19:28Profile
tinluke

New England USA

Re: Christianity in a nutshell

Hey Chuck,

I read you're vision. It's short, but to the point and very powerful. The theme here is so simiple. This is true Christianity in a nutshell;

This world is sick, dying and headed to hell. In spite of our condition, Jesus is so passionately in love with us. So much so that He suffered and died for us. He did eveything for us to escape our horrible condition. His perfect Love was displayed on that bloody cross... Oh what a Savior to died for His own creation!! He calls to us and when we respond, He gives us everything! He clothes us in His righteouness and places a crown upon our heads. Then He says to us "Now go and tell the others. Tell them they are dying and going to Hell, but then tell them about the provision I made for them. Tell them I love them and died for them" Some will ask, "Lord how do I do it, the job is too big?" And His reply is always the same; "Believe me and obey me and I be with you every step of the way."

2006/3/17 11:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy