Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : being Judged

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
andres

texas,brownsville

being Judged

Do any of you ever feel afraid that God is going to Judge us more harshly because we know so much?,for example most all of us here have read and heard great books and sermons and we have so much light and so much responsibility.. do any of you feel scared about God's Judgement?
James 3:1 My brethren be not many masters(teachers)knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation..
1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the House of GOD and it first begins at us....
just a question

2006/3/14 11:42Profile
jimp

Re: being Judged

hi, when i see the blood i will passover you. i rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ,only....jimp

2006/3/14 12:37Profile
roadsign

Quote:
,for example most all of us here have read and heard great books and sermons and we have so much light and so much responsibility..

Yes, we have had it many blessings for quite a few generations. And, yes, I belive that we will be held accountable for how we handled the Light when it was among us.

One day I worshiped at a church that was going well - great progams, great sermons, great... everything. I mean, really! God was blessing that congregation. When I was praying for them, I asked God for a word about that church. I wondered how he saw them.

I received words from Jeremiah 13. It seemed to be an admonishment to keep their eyes on God and not just on the blessings. They were not to take the blessings for granted. Also they were in danger of becoming prideful because of their blessings. Present blessings does not mean that down the road there will not be judgment:

15 Hear and pay attention,
do not be arrogant,
for the LORD has spoken.

16 Give glory to the LORD your God
before he brings the darkness,
before your feet stumble
on the darkening hills.
You hope for light,
but he will turn it to thick darkness
and change it to deep gloom.

17 But if you do not listen,
I will weep in secret
because of your pride;
my eyes will weep bitterly,
overflowing with tears,
because the LORD's flock will be taken captive.
Quote:
do any of you feel scared about God's Judgement?

I say "no", not sure if that is because it is not a reality yet in my mind. But also God has promised that he will protect those who remain faithful to him - even for all eternity.

"Neither death nor life.... nothing can separate us from the love of God...." Romans 8

There are many verses that speak of God's protection during judgment - worth doing an entire study on.
Diane

2006/3/14 12:43Profile
saltlicker20

Grand Saline, TX

Andres,

I am fearful of His discipline while we are alive. Since reading all the books, listening to truth in sermons, growing in Wisdom that he provides through His word and prayer...it makes me accountable to the Truth that I hear.

I know that if I willingly choose NOT to obey that Truth (which I seem to do so much, blah), then God will discipline me like a Father does a Son.

So yes....I do fear God, especially with the more Truth that I learn. At the same time though...His grace has never become more evident - there is no reason for me to be a minister except by the grace of Him - much less any blessings from Him. Praise Him for being a loving and Just God.

In His,

DO
I Pet 4:2

2006/3/14 12:52Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I too fear the Lord's discipline. (Hebrews 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.) I fear this scourging and I'm finding his compassion beyond measure but I know Jesus is very concerned about sin and once He puts his finger on something, He never lets up. I'm thankful that the Lord God of heaven is not a permissive God that can be manipulated simply because I'm unwilling to submit to Him.

(Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.) I'm still in this grievous state but I know that I submit to Him, He will pull me through to victory and that's my hope...

2006/3/14 15:38Profile

Re:

One thing we should understand is that judgement for the Christian will not be a judgement of punishment. In the end, all that matters is were you saved or not? The thing I would be most concerned with is the passage of scripture that tells us that "faith without works is dead". So, if your "faith" does not cause you to do good works, then you need to be concerned about whether you are truly saved.

Truly saved people will produce fruit. No fruit... not saved.

Krispy

2006/3/14 15:44
roadsign

Re: fear, afraid, terror

Quote:
One thing we should understand is that judgement for the Christian will not be a judgement of punishment.

This is key! What is punisment for the non-repentant is discipline for God's children. And it may all happen through the same circumstances in life. The follower of Christ grows stronger through judgments and the nonrepentant crumbles.

There is a big difference between having the "fear of God" and having a terror.

I once did a word study on the word "terror" and found that it was the outcome of those who refused to repent. I would never want to experience that, but I know that many will.

The fear of God is something that should always be a motivating force in our lives because it keeps us from straying into sin. That is much like having a healthy fear of oncoming traffic and hot stoves - not a bad thing.
Fear of God is not the same as being "afraid" of God, which causes us to hide behind "figleaves" and "bushes" and is the product of failing to plead for his mercy and forgiveness.
Does that make any sense?
Diane

2006/3/14 15:53Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

Quote:

I too fear the Lord's discipline.

Psalms 23 says 'His rod and staff COMFORT me'

His rod is the rod of correction, yes it hurts when He chastens us but the fact that He does discipline us shows us He is our Father and so we don't need to fear Him as much as respect Him and look up to Him.

Proverbs says the fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom, we need to clarify that our fear is a reverand awe, not that He will catch us doing something wrong and send us to hell :-(

As for judgement, we won't be judged for our sins, they're under the blood as Jimp says, but we do stand before the Judgement seat of Christ where we will be judged for what we did or didn't do in His name.

Leonard Ravenhill says a lot about this, one comment he says is; 'I'm not afraid of what I have done but what I have not done'

Don't think that once your saved you can sit back and let God do all the work, He guides, we must follow (that takes effort on our part)

2006/3/14 16:04Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Don't think that once your saved you can sit back and let God do all the work, He guides, we must follow (that takes effort on our part)

And don't think that just because you are saved, you are off the hook with God and won't be judged. That is nonsense. Scripture warns many times to be careful about how we live because there is a consequence for not living right. (See Rev 2,3)

Take a simple example: If you eat too much and don't excercise you get fat - and you face the consequences - health problems down the road.

Judgments can be supernatural, but they can also be natural consequences - programmed right into the creation. Let's not kid ourselves.

Same goes for emotional issues. If you hold a grudge, you get ulcers, or you damage relationships.

If you don't seek God with all your heart, you end up going after the things of the world -- and down the road, you face the consequence just as much as anyone else.

Many "saved" people have a false sense of diplomatic immunity.

You always have to wonder how many of those really are saved, because one who is truely born from above is very sensitive to the Spirit, to conviction, to the importance of holy living, etc.
Diane

2006/3/14 16:25Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Andres,

I struggle with the issue that I personally do not desire to be a "master", but what if God has called me to be one? Wouldn't it be a greater offense to avoid obedience out of fear (check the parable of the Talents) than to avoid being judged myself? Consider this, Jesus was tried and found guilty of blasphemy, which is claiming to be God. He was technically guilty of that accusation, which led him to the cross. However, the only difference between the blasphemer and Christ is that the blasphemer isn't God, where Christ [b]is[/b]. I often wonder if Caiphas (I think I spelled it wrong) had seen this fact when Christ was standing before him and objected, if Christ would have said, as he did his cousin John, "This has to happened."

It is a constant struggle and act of faith to speak on behalf of God, all the while knowing that there is the possibility that you are speaking out of your own flesh. After all "faith is the ... evidence of things [b]unseen[/b]" and "without faith it is impossible to please him". Fear is the enemy of faith and cowardice is fear's victory (see the story of Jesus in sleeping in the storm, where he asks why the disciples have [b]no faith[/b]), while courage is faith's victory. This is why God exhorted Joshua to "Be courageous".

Don't get me wrong, we are to be pudent in our speech and seek His permission before speaking, however understand that there is a Judgement, and the main thrust of that judgement is "Will he find faith in the earth".

Art Katz deals with this theme excellently in [url="http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3342"]Gleanings From The Garden - Part 1[/url] and [url="http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3343"]Part 2[/url].

2006/3/14 19:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy