SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : amount of time the disciples were in the upper room

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

amount of time the disciples were in the upper room

Does anyone have any estimates on about how long the 120 were gathered in the upper room (Acts 1-2) waiting for the Holy Ghost? I once heard someone say about 2 weeks.

2006/3/12 10:42

Re: amount of time the disciples were in the upper room

I believe if my head is working yet today ... it would be about 10 days.
I don't know if 120 were there the whole time, but the Disciples were and maybe the others came after or they all came after the ascension, I don't know.

From Passover to the Feast of Pentecost is 50 days I believe and they were with the Risen Christ Jesus on and off for 40 days before He ascended and then when the day of Pentecost fully came, they were all there, Praying In One Accord. :-) Neat !

2006/3/12 15:17
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
From Passover to the Feast of Pentecost is 50 days I believe and they were with the Risen Christ Jesus on and off for 40 days before He ascended and then when the day of Pentecost fully came, they were all there, Praying In One Accord. Neat !

Amen, Being in one accord was a new experience for the disciples and evidence of the Lord's breathing into them the Holy Spirit, regenerating them on the eve of His resurrection (John 20:22).

For the next 40 days, the Lord's outward appearing to them became less and less frequent as He was evidently weaning them from His outward Presence that they would learn to know Him inwardly as their indwelling Lord and Life. As Paul says in 2 Cor, "Though we have known Christ after the flesh, we know Him thus no longer".

On the Day of Pentecost, as they were gathered together in one accord praying, the Spirit was poured out upon them in power, the power of of the ascended Lord.

Prior to the Lord's asascension, as the crucified and resurrected One, on the day of His resurrection, He breathed on them saying, "receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:22). This was the fulfillment of all the Lord's promises in John coconcerning the Spirit as the Comforter coming to them, indwelling them and uniting them with Christ (John 14:16-20) .

On the day of Pentecost, the Promise of the Father in Joel was fulfilled as the Spirit was poured out upon them in Power for the work of the Ministry.

I like the footnote on Acts 1:14 in the RcV

"Before the Lord's death the disciples had no interest in praying for spiritual things. Rather, they contended among themselves as to which of them was considered to the greatest (Luke 22:24). But after the Lord's resurrection and ascension, their spiritual condition changed radically. They did not contend among themselves but were burdened to continue steadfastly with one accord in prayer, even before the day of Pentecost, when they would receive the out-poured Spirit of power economically (ch.2). This is a strong sign and proof that they had received the indwelling Spirit of life essentially on the day of the Lord's resurrection (John 20:22) This is also evidence that they had been strengthened in God's New Testament economy by the vision of the Lord's ascension."
____

Just as the Lord Jesus was always indwelt by the Spirit, yet at His Baptism the Spirit descended upon Him and rested upon Him in Power for the work of His earthly ministry, so also the Disciples were regenerated and indwelt by the Spirit of the resurrected Christ prior to Pentecost. But at Pentecost the Spirit was poured out upon them in Power, because Christ had ascended to the throne of God and received all authority and power".

They had already begun to know the Lord Jesus as the indwelling Spirit of Life and the oneness of the Spirit in one accord and the Spirit of prayer, but on the day of Pentecost the Spirit was poured out upon them in Power.

We need both aspects of the Spirit. We need the Spirit as our indwelling Life revealing the Living resurrected Christ within us, and we also need the out-poured Spirit in power for the accomplishing of the work of the ministry.

God grant us a Vision of both and a hunger for both. We need to know Him as our indwelling Life before we are "endued with Power". Only then are we qualified to bear the Power of the Spirit.

The problem today is that many seek the power of the Spirit but not the inward knowledge of Christ as Life. We seek signs, miracles and wonders but without the inner knknowledge of the Spirit as Life. We need both to be effective ministers of Christ.

And the Power of the Spirit is not among us today because there is not the one accord produced by the indwelling Spirit of Christ as Life. It is only as brothers dwell together in unity that the Oil of the Spirit is poured out upon the Head reaching to the garments. The Anointing of the Spirit is upon those who are brought into the one accord and "dwell together in unity".

The Power of the Spirit is not for individuals as such, but for the body of Christ brought into the oneness of the Spirit in the one accord. And it's fruit is that on the day of Pentecost, Peter stood together with the 11 and though he was the mouthpiece, the Spirit sat upon all of them.

The Spirit was not just poured out upon Peter but upon the 120 who were in the one accord. And this pattern is repeated in 4:24-31:

"And when they heard this, they lifted up their voice with one accord to God and said... And when they had thus besought, the place in which they were gathered was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness."

Here again, though they were already indwelt by the Spirit, they were brought into one accord, prayed, and as a result, they were all "filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the Word of God with boldness". And this is always the pattern. One accord, prayer, and the Spirit as power.

Graftedbranch

2006/3/15 10:24Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy