SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many people struggle with reading the bible 101

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

How many people struggle with reading the bible 101

There are time when I can read the bible easily and there are times when I cannot read even one word.
I am sorry to be coming back to the basics but it is something I need prayer about.
I find the bible one of the most fantastic books in the world.
I just want to know how people read there bibles. Do they read them in the morning or do some people listen to it on a cd or do you choose a psalm or do you go through one verse at a time or a book at a time or do you go through it randomly.
What is the most difficult time you ever have had to read the bible. This is me at the moment, I am just finding it so hard to read the bible at the moment. I just cant think
What versions do you use and what is the percentage of bible scholars on this site who know greek and hebrew.
How would you teach the bible to someone who couldnt read or write. What bible would you give to a new believer? What verse helps you when you are depressed or down. What is your favorite bible passage? What is your favorite bible story?
Do you visualize the bible, when I read the bible I normally see it in pictures as in a story and depending. DO certain words jump out at you.
Who has been a great insiration in getting you to rad the bible. What was your first bible .

2006/3/7 13:16Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: How many people struggle with reading the bible 101

Quote:
I just want to know how people read there bibles. Do they read them in the morning or do some people listen to it on a cd or do you choose a psalm or do you go through one verse at a time or a book at a time or do you go through it randomly.

Dom,

Here is a link to an article that has been helpful in providing a little practical guidance in making my study time more fruitful.

[url=http://www.whitestoneonline.org/Distinctives/distinctives_study6.htm]Reading the Bible[/url]

I don't have time to answer all the other questions but I'm sure that others can help you there.

I will be praying,

Ron

2006/3/7 13:46Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Quote:

I usually read my bible during breaks at work and on lunch. This is when I do most of my study. I also read more on Saturday mornings and Sunday mornings. I don't listen to any CDs or tapes, just read.

Quote:
What is the most difficult time you ever have had to read the bible. This is me at the moment, I am just finding it so hard to read the bible at the moment. I just cant think

There are times where I get very complacent. It is as if I just don't want to read the Bible. I don't want to take the time to read. I fight this from time to time. It does get hard to read at times because I tend to get very selfish.

Quote:
What versions do you use and what is the percentage of bible scholars on this site who know greek and hebrew.

I use NIV most of the time with New Living occasionally. If I am doing some deep study I will break out the King James. I know very little Hebrew and Greek. I do love crosswalk.com's strong's section though.

Quote:
How would you teach the bible to someone who couldnt read or write.

If this person was a Christian who couldn't read, I would begin with Christ and read all the gospels, then start in the epistles. Hopefully teaching this person to read through it.

Quote:
What bible would you give to a new believer?

I have thought about this. I have no problem giving a new believer an NIV but I have also given new believers the New living translation as well because it is so easy to understand. (For those who disagree, there are other topics...haha). I would not give a new believer a King James Bible. You may disagree with me and that is your right, but I feel that the language and grammar is just too archaic. I would prefer a reliable and truthful easy to read translation, (NIV, NLT, HCSB)

Quote:
What verse helps you when you are depressed or down.

I love Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

Quote:
What is your favorite bible passage?

It would have to be Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Quote:
What is your favorite bible story?

I love the story of Elijah on Mount Carmel. (1 Kings 18) A story of God using a man to turn people back to him and a tremendous story of faith. I also love verse 27 "At noon Elijah began to taunt them. "Shout louder!" he said. "Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened."

Quote:
Do you visualize the bible, when I read the bible I normally see it in pictures as in a story and depending. DO certain words jump out at you.

That doesn't happen to me as much. More so than before though. Certain things do jump out at me, for example: Today I was reading John 16 and this passage really jumped out at me and helped me realize that God does love me...sometimes I forget that...Verse 25, "Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. 26In that day you will ask in my name. [u]I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.[/u]

Quote:
Who has been a great insiration in getting you to rad the bible.

My wife. She has been a great influence in reminding me that the Bible is relevent to our lives. I was very complacent for a number of years and I saw her love for God's word and began to be convicted because I did not have that love.

Quote:
What was your first bible.

I got a King James Bible when I was 6. I made a decision for Christ (not a true conversion though) and received it. I still have it in my living room.

2006/3/7 13:57Profile
Rahman

Bro. Dom,

You know the scripture (Rom.10:17) that says, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" ...

Well i have both the OT & NT on tape (about to repurchase both on CD's) and what i do is listen to the Bible on my (driving) commute back and forth to work, as well as thru the day when i'm working (i'm a cad-draftsman) ... It's amazing how much one hears when listening to God's Word as Holy Spirit will draw your attention back and forth between scripture as you're listening ... Often times i'll hear a scripture that pops out at me and will rewind to hear the chapter, and be amazed later when i'm in a conversation and Holy Spirit will bring back that chapter and it's only a matter of perusal to find the verse i need ...

You're a young man so i'm gonna guess that like most young folk you have at least some type of technology sticking in your ears :-P ... If so then may i suggest you invest in the entire NT of the Bible (first) in a format (cd, mp3, etc.) that'll play on your Disc-man (etc.) and just listen to the Word ... You'll be amazed at your added adeptness in God's Word when you engage in actual Bible Study alone, or with others ...

God bless you bro Dom! ... and always remember that Jesus loves you! ... :-D

2006/3/7 14:26Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

As I asked all these questions I might aswell do it myself.

Quote:

Well i have both the OT & NT on tape (about to repurchase both on CD's) and what i do is listen to the Bible on my (driving) commute back and forth to work, as well as thru the day when i'm working (i'm a cad-draftsman) ...

I dont like listening to it through headphones as it damages my ears. I respect you for taking it into work I have taken my stereo into university and I have been looked down on it. I am praying for batteries for my stereo or a small enough compact mp3 player with speakers that can handle all the bible, what version do you listen to and who is it read by?
Quote:

Quote:

I would say now is the most difficult time for me, and when I was ill. I also found it hard to read it when I used to watch television

Quote:

I mostly use the KJV and sometimes delve into the Jewish New Testament, I am learning hebrew and would like to be fluent in it

Quote:

How would you teach the bible to someone who couldnt read or write.

I would pick a random verse but first I would pray and see if god has any ideas

Quote:

What bible would you give to a new believer?

I give out KJV because they are the cheapest bibles and I like them. I can pick them up for £1.70 each one I just found on a site and I found that I can get them in the christian bookshop of about £4 but I think if they couldnt read I would probably give them an NIV or a childrens bible such as CEV

Quote:

What verse helps you when you are depressed or down.

Psalm 125 It has always touched me and then there is Revelation 21 which my friend jim always used to quote and then Psalm 51 and then Psalm 119. I think Job does and any verse I happen to fall on

Quote:

What is your favorite bible passage?

Psalm 125

Quote:

What is your favorite bible story?

1. The Story of David- the story of David I like because I once read the whole thing including the psalms and realise the amount of pain and suffering he goes through from being chased around by Saul then by his own son, his commander killing people he shouldnt and his weeping on the mount of olives Abslom my son, then having to deal with the adultury of Bethsheba before that and going to an enemy which Israel hates and living there and being despised and rejected by Israel and then having his wife and all his possesions stolen by the Amelekites and having his men wanting to kill him. Running away from saul not having anywhere stable to live. To me it is just fantastic

1. Jesus- The power of Jesus's Life just blows me away walking on water and being chased around and facing up to the pharisee every word jesus says is powerful, I find it hard to read the gospels getting blown away by every word

Quote:

I picture the bible I see the bible as if it is actually happening and I also visualize each word and words do jump out at me, normally i dont want to take them in

Quote:

Who has been a great insiration in getting you to read the bible.

My mum has been , she read the book of genesis when were younger and got me to go for the bible memory award and sing scripture and my dad who got me my bible at the baptism. Another person who has been an inspiration is my dear past away friend jim who had forgotten more of the bible than i know. Chuck and Julian

Quote:

What was your first bible.

My first bible was a childrens bible which I read and then graduated onto the NIV at school and then the NKJV which I read vermently and then the KJV

2006/3/7 19:54Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy