SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Order of MelchizedeK

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

The Order of MelchizedeK

The writer of Hebrews states, "And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, called by God AS HIGH PRIEST "ACCORDING TO THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK of whom we have MUCH TO SAY AND HARD TO EXPLAIN, since you have BECOME DULL OF HEARING." Hebrews 5:9-11. Within these three verses, we find that Jesus is the High Priest of the order of Melchizedek. We learn that He is the author of eternal salvation. And finally there is more to understand, but the believers are dull of hearing.

I would like to focus on what Scripture teaches us about what the order of Melchizedek has offered to us.

In chapter 8 we are given the comparison of what the Levitical order gives us as an offering and what the order of Melchizedek gives us as an offering. "For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices,(this refers to the covenant of Mount Sinai) THEREFORE IT IS NECESSARY THAT THIS ONE HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER." Hebrews 8:3

The offering Jesus has for us is defined for us in Hebrews 8:10-13. "...I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. NONE OF THEM SHALL TEACH HIS NEIGHBOR, AND NONE HIS BROTHER, saying "KNOW THE LORD, for all shall know Me from the least of them to the greatest of them..."

The effect of the new covenant for those who enter in will have a real experience of knowing God. No one will have to refer to the thoughts of other men to show them the truth. I believe we often fall short because we look to others who have gone before us. We look for the support of men. The High Priest of the order of Melchizedek is faithful to reveal Himself to those who enter in. We have become dull of hearing that is why it is hard to explain why the offering of the new covenant is not having any power in our lives. Only God can deliver us from our fallen nature. Only Jesus can teach us to follow the Father's will and that is where the joy of fellowship begins.

Thus it is only Jesus, who is the Word, who can offer us the revelation of who God is. He is the mediator of the new covenant. He is Melchizedek.

In Christ
Jeff

2003/12/19 12:49Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: The Order of MelchizedeK

Quote:
THEREFORE IT IS NECESSARY THAT THIS ONE HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER.

Jesus' offering was Himself, it is through that blood offering that we may enter into all that is the new covenant;

[i]Hebrews 9:11-14 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?[/i]

Quote:
He is Melchizedek.

Could you expand on this? Are you saying Jesus and Melchizedek were one and the same?

In Christ,

Ron

2003/12/19 14:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Hi brother Ron,

In the last verse quoted, "how much more shall the blood of
Christ, who THROUGH THE ETERNAL SPIRIT offered Himself without spot to God, (this not only speaks of His death on the cross but also the way in which He came to show us the way, through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit)...CLEANSE YOUR CONSCIENCE FROM DEAD WORKS TO SERVE THE LIVING GOD." Hebrew 9:14

As I stated, the work of Jesus is to reveal God to us. This is the way. In the verse you have quoted, the last part is essential to understanding the way. By faith we follow our High Priest. He through the Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin. He through the Holy Spirit teaches us of His righteousness. Without God speaking to us we have no hope of knowing His will. All we can accomplish are dead works. When we learn to hear His voice, we give up serving in the flesh. This is the only way we can serve our living God.

In Christ
Jeff

2003/12/19 14:45Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Hi Jeff, you wrote He is the mediator of the new covenant. He is Melchizedek

If you are saying that Melchizedek is a pre-incarnation appearance of Christ, I would have to disagree. Melchizedek is a type of Christ, as the Sinai Tabernacle was a type of the heavenly temple. They are not earthly manifestations but shadows and types. Melchizedek is a foreshadowing of Christ not a theophany.

I know that Christians have held different views on this but the thing which convinces me is that Mechizedek is called 'priest of the most high God' whereas Christ is always referred to as 'high priest, after the order of Melchizedek'. Melchizedek is the only OT example of a priest-king. It is in this that he foreshadows Christ's high-priesthood. Aaronic priesthood banned priest-kings, but the Melchizedek 'pattern' is the pattern that Christ has fulfilled.

As 'the blood of the cross' is a way of saying 'by His sacrificial death' so 'high-priesthood after the order of Melchizedek' is a way of saying 'He is a priest upon a throne' (cf this phrase in Zechariah). Christ's reign is as a priest, all His authority is exercised in priestly reconciliation rather than kingly retribution. His throne is a throne of grace.

2003/12/19 15:14Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

The word used in Hebrews is "shadow.' Foreshadow or theophany are man's words. A shadow exists because something creates the shadow. The veil seperates our understanding of the real thing. It is God through the Word who reveal Himself to us. The power and passion in our lives come because He reveals Himself to us. Shadows are like the cloulds of the Old Testament. Only when Jesus through the Holy Spirit teaches us to hear His commands can we live the New Covenant life.

Think about the life of Joshua. Moses was his mentor. Joshua would later stay in the tabernacle with God. Then God says to Joshua, "Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you..." Joshua 1:3 Then Joshua goes into the promised land. Before every battle, God gives Joshua the instructions to do it His way. Jesus was leading Joshua. And by faith Joshua pleased God.

At which tabernacle did Melchizedek serve, the earthly or the heavenly?

In Christ
Jeff

2003/12/19 16:52Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Jeff, your quote The word used in Hebrews is "shadow.' Foreshadow or theophany are man's words. A shadow exists because something creates the shadow.

Of course it does, but you would not mistake the shadow for the true once you have seen the true.

your quote The veil seperates our understanding of the real thing.

What veil are you referring to?

your quote At which tabernacle did Melchizedek serve, the earthly or the heavenly?

We are not told that Mechizedek served at a Tabernacle. However Israel had priests before it had the Aaronic priesthood, and Moses created a tabernacle before the Aaronic Tabernacle was erected. There were also burnt sacrifices and other specific offerings before those instituted in Leviticus. Job also offered sacrifices for his sons. All these are pre-Aaronic. In other words there was a pattern of priesthood and sacrifice that pre-dated that of Sinai. We do not have detailed accounts but there is enough evidence to identify its existence very clearly. Priesthood has been around for a long time. The priesthood of Mechizedek would have been of this pre-Aaronic pattern. Technically, the Aaronic priesthood came into full function in Leviticus 8. Any references to the existence of priests, tabernacles or offerings before that time are clues to pre-Aaronic priesthoods.

There are other priesthoods referred to in Scripture too e.g. Jethro

2003/12/19 17:37Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Melchizedec certaily is an intriguing character, he's one of those guys I want to look up once I get to heaven, I have some questions for him. :-D

I think we are purposefully left a bit in the dark about Melchizedec so that the focus remains on the Lord Jesus. It is enough to know that he had a priesthood that was greater than that of Aaron and that Jesus is our great High Priest after the order of Melchizedec.

In Christ,

Ron

2003/12/19 19:09Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

The veil is spoken of by Paul, "But their minds were blinded, for until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, BECAUSE THE VEIL IS TAKEN AWAY IN CHRIST. But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart, Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, ARE BEING TRANSFORMED INTO THE SAME IMAGE FROM GLORY TO GLORY, JUST AS BY THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD." 2 Corinthians 3:14-18

The order of Melchizedek removes the veil which clouds the understanding of who God is. It is the work of Christ to reveal Himself to us. The power of His blood opens the way. The resurrection life shows us the way.

Now Scripture indicates that Melchizedek, "made like the Son of God, REMAINS A PRIEST CONTINUALLY." Hebrews 7:3 And when speaking of tithes, "Here mortal men recieve tithes, but BUT THERE HE RECEIVES THEM OF WHOM IT IS WITNESSED THAT HE LIVES." Hebrews 7:8

Melchizedek remains a priest continually and He does not receive tithes with mortal men, but THERE He receives them of whom it is witnessed that He LIVES. Where does Melchizedek receive tithes? Who are those who know that He lives?

In Christ
Jeff

2003/12/20 8:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Jeff
your quote The veil is speak of is the one Paul teaches, "But their minds were blinded, for until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, BECAUSE THE VEIL IS TAKEN AWAY IN CHRIST. But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart, Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

their minds, their heart. This is a reference to Israel's blindness. their minds speaks to me of plurality and hence each person, their heart singular speaks of the nation corporately. This is Israel's blindness 'in part'. [Rom 11:25]

But Abraham and consequently Melchizedek are pre-Israel, pre_Aaronic. There was no veil on Abraham's heart but he saw Melchizedek.

2003/12/20 8:59Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Quote:
I would like to focus on what Scripture teaches us about what the order of Melchizedek has offered to us.

I think that we can certainly look at what Jesus as our high priest, afeter the order of melchezidek, has to offer to us.

Quote:
He is Melchizedek

I, like others here, would contend with that. I can sympathise with your belief because I once held the same view myself, however I have to confess that the reason I held it was because as a new christian I heard somone present that view, it sounded good and so I believed it. However in reading the scriptures myself I saw that this theory does not hold.

look at these two verses:

Heb 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that [u]another priest[/u] should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Heb 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

Quote:
The effect of the new covenant for those who enter in will have a real experience of knowing God. No one will have to refer to the thoughts of other men to show them the truth. I believe we often fall short because we look to others who have gone before us.

Absolutley :-) the new covenant is not an hirearchical system, like a pyramid with the [i]laity[/i] at the bottom and God at the top. Its a God and us relationship with Christ alone as the mediator.

Jesus makes this so clear;

Mat 23:8-10 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your teacher, and all ye are brethren.
And call no man your father on the earth: for one is your Father, even he who is in heaven.
Neither be ye called masters: for one is your master, even the Christ.

There are teachers, and other gifts but their role must be understood in relation to these words of Christ and the nature of the new covenant. There is an instruction to [i] be confident in, and allow yourself to be persuaded by, those who do lead, and to submit to them[/i] Heb 13:17 And again we need to understand this in the context of the new covenant.

Just like in a natural body the direction must come from the head. It may pass through other parts of the body, but this is due to function, not chain of command.

Stuart.

2003/12/20 9:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy