SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Preacher: His Life and Work by John Henry Jowett

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TaKa

Louisiana

The Preacher: His Life and Work by John Henry Jowett

I'm looking for a book called The Preacher: His Life and Work by John Henry Jowett. This is a very rare book, and I've yet to find it, except for an online version: http://www.abcog.org/jowett1.htm but I would like to have a copy of the book one of these days.

2006/3/3 21:30Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The Preacher: His Life and Work by John Henry Jowett

Is this what you are looking for?
[url=http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=John+Henry+Jowett&title=The+Preacher%3A+His+Life+and+Work&submit=Begin+search&new_used=*¤cy=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr]Bookfinder[/url]

ginnyrose

*Moderator Edit:
ginnyrose, reconfigured your link, it was making the page go 'wide'.

2006/3/3 22:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Taka,

This is [i]Rich![/i]

Quote:
This sense of great personal surprise in the glory of our vocation, while it will keep us humble, will also make us great. It will save us from becoming small officials in transient enterprises.

Quote:
It will make us truly big, and will, therefore, save us from spending our days in trifling. Emerson has somewhere said that men whose duties are done beneath lofty and stately domes acquire a dignified stride and a certain stateliness of demeanour. And preachers of the gospel, whose work is done beneath the lofty dome of some glorious and wonderful conception of their ministry, will acquire a certain largeness of demeanour in which flippancy and trivialities cannot breathe. "I shall run the way of Thy commandments when Thou shalt enlarge my heart."

Think this book is just as applicable to disciples as well as preachers, it cut's across the lines ... Already, the sentiment's are finding that inward recognition ... Just outstanding brother. I pray you find a personal copy.

Edit:

Throwing cost to the wind ...
[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000859OPE/ref=dp_olp_2/002-7889120-0335260?%5Fencoding=UTF8]Amazon[/url]

2006/3/4 10:02Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

The Preacher: His Life and Work by John Henry Jowett

[i]Now, if such be the sacredness of our calling, and its consequent glory, we cannot be blind to its solemn responsibilities. It is a great, awful, holy trust. We are called to be guides and guardians of the souls of men, leading them into "the way of peace." We are to be constantly engaged with eternal interests, leading the thoughts and wills of men to the things that primarily matter, and disengaging them from lesser or meaner concerns which hold them in servitude. We are to be the friends of the Bridegroom, winning men, not to ourselves, but to Him, match-making for the Lord, abundantly satisfied when we have brought the bride and the Bridegroom together. I do not wonder that men shrink from the calling even when they feel the glory of it! I do not wonder at the holy fear of men as they approach the sacred office! Listen to these words of Charles Kingsley, written in his private journal, written in the dawning of the day on which he was to be ordained to the priesthood of the Lord: "In a few hours my whole soul will be waiting silently for the seals of admission to God's service, of which honour I dare hardly think myself worthy . . . Night and morning for months my prayer has been, Oh, God, if I am not worthy, if my sin in leading souls away from Thee is still unpardoned, if I am desiring to be a deacon not wholly for the sake of serving Thee, if it is necessary to show me my weakness and the holiness of Thy office still more strongly, Oh, God, reject me!" I say I do not wonder at the shrinking, and I would not pray that the day may come when it may entirely pass away, lest in a perilous self-confidence we lose the brightness of the glory, and have an impoverished conception of our great vocation. In this matter, as in many others, "the fear of the Lord is a fountain of life," and "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."[/i]

2006/3/4 14:33Profile
TaKa

Louisiana

Yeah, this is probably the best book I ever read on the subject of ministry. $50.00-$124.95 on Amazon I can believe because it was published once in 1912 and never published again. I was glad to find the text online.

2006/3/5 7:02Profile
TaKa

Louisiana

DUDE! Check this out!!!

http://www.greatsite.com/ancient-rare-bibles-books/platinum.html

2006/3/5 13:34Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

"Gentlemen, we are not always doing the most business when we seem to be most busy. We may think we are truly busy when we are really only restless, and a little studied retirement would greatly enrich our returns. We are great only as we are God-possessed; and scrupulous appointments in the upper room with the Master will prepare us for the toil and hardships of the most strenuous campaign. We must, therefore, hold firmly and steadily to this primary principle, that of all things that need doing this need is supreme, to live in intimate fellowship with God. Let us steadily hold a reasonable sense of values, and assign each appointed duty to its legitimate place. And in any appointment of values this would surely be the initial judgment, that nothing can be well done if we drift away from God. Neglected spiritual fellowship means futility all along the road."

2006/3/5 13:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Seem to recall some of this somewhere.
A Bible for the heathens?

[b]1631 "Wicked Bible"[/b]

This King James Version Bible is an unspeakably rare collector’s item. The printers were fined 300 pounds sterling for their terrible typographical error in printing the Ten Commandments, omitting the all-important word “not” and rendering the verse as, “Thou shalt commit adultery”! The lot of 1,000 copies were ordered destroyed, but only a handful escaped destruction, making them the rarest of rare. This is the only one for sale in the world.

Offered at $89,500

2006/3/5 13:41Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Jowett

But the discipline of the soul must be serious and studious. This high culture must not be governed by haphazard or caprice. There must be purpose and method and regularity. And you may depend upon it, that when you give yourselves to soul-culture in this serious way, it is a travail and not a pastime. If it were easy it might scarcely be worth counselling: it is tremendously difficult, but its rewards are infinite. One of the most cultured spirits in modern Methodism, a man whose style is as strong as his thoughts are lofty, has recently given this judgment as he looked back upon the years of his ministry:

[i]"I have not failed to study: I have not failed to visit: I have not failed to write and meditate: but I have failed to pray.Now why have I not prayed? Sometimes because I did not like it: at other times because I hardly dared: and yet at other times because I had something else to do. Let us be very frank. It is a grand thing to get a praying minister.... I have heard men talk about prayer who never prayed in their lives. They thought they did: but when you have heard them, they made their own confession in a ruthless way."[/i]

These sentences lift the veil upon a naked experience, and they expose the solemn fact that prayer is very costly, even at the expense of blood, and that churches which have praying ministers may not realize the travail by which the power is gained. We are permitted to look upon our Master as He prays. "In the days of His flesh He offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears." It was a holy and a costly business. "And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly, and His sweat was as were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." There was something here which we can never share, and yet there is something which we must share if we are leagued with the Lord in the ministry of intercession, and enter into "the fellowship of His sufferings."

2006/3/5 15:03Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

There is another peril which I will name. The sense of scriptural truth is very delicate and it can be easily impaired. Every preacher knows how sensitive is the organ of spiritual perception, and how vigilantly it has to be guarded if he is to retain his vision and apprehension of "the deeper things" of God. You will find in your ministry that an evil temper can make you blind. You will find that jealousy can scale your eyes until the heavens give no light. You will find that paltry temper raises an earth-born cloud between you and the hills of God. You will find when you enter your study that your moral and spiritual condition demands your first attention. I have sat down to the preparation of my sermon and the heavens have been as brass! I have turned to the gospel of John and it has been as a wilderness, without verdure or dew! Yes, you will find that when your spirit is impaired, your Bible, and your lexicons, and your commentaries are only like so many spectacles behind which there are no eyes: you have no sight!

All this you will probably grant when our attention is confined to the influence of deliberate sin upon spiritual vision. But I would ask you to consider whether the spiritual organ of the preacher may not be bruised if he is enticed to give the burden of his attention to secondary discussion and controversies, to matters which have certainly not first rank in the interests of the soul. I believe it is possible for the sociologist to impair the evangelist in the preacher, and that a man can lose his power to unveil and display "the unsearchable riches of Christ." Gentlemen, this fear is not the creation of the fancy. I have heard men make the confession that they have acquired a passion and aptitude for certain types of preaching, and they have lost the power to expound those deepest matters which absorbingly engaged the heart and brain of the Apostle Paul. When the preacher becomes economist there are men outside who can surpass him in his office. His influence in these secondary realms is comparatively small. His legitimate and unshared throne is elsewhere and among other themes. It is for him to keep a clean, clear, true insight into the things that matter most, to explore the wonderful love of God, to delve and mine in the treasures of redemption, "to know nothing among men save Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

2006/3/9 9:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy