SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : John Wesleys work

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
W_D_J_D

John Wesleys work

Can the Moderators start a folder for John Wesley quotes?

2006/3/2 21:35Profile

Re: John Wesleys work

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=6077]Awake, Thou That Sleepest [/url]

"God is light, and will give himself to every awakened sinner that waiteth for him; and thou shalt then be a temple of the living God, and Christ shall "dwell in thy heart by faith;" and, "being rooted and grounded in love, thou shalt be able to comprehend with all saints, what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height of that love of Christ which passeth knowledge."

2006/3/2 22:33
W_D_J_D

Re:

In the beginning of the year 1738, as I was returning from thence, the cry of my heart was, O grant that nothing in my soul May dwell, but thy pure love alone! O may thy love possess me whole, My joy, my treasure, and my crown ! Strange fires far from my heart remove; My every act, word, thought, be love!
-John Wesley in 1738

2006/3/2 23:08Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

“Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.”

“Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees”

“Once in seven years I burn all my sermons; for it is a shame if I cannot write better sermons now than I did seven years ago.”

“The Bible knows nothing of solitary religion.”

2006/3/3 0:57Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

“The best of it is, God is with us.”

“I am not afraid that the people called Methodists should ever cease to exist either in Europe or America. [b]But I am afraid lest they should only exist as a dead sect, having the form of religion without the power.[/b] And this undoubtedly will be the case unless they hold fast both the doctrine, spirit, and discipline with which they first set out.”

2006/3/3 0:58Profile
W_D_J_D

Re:

wow indeed the poor and struggling methodists of today.....i mean having internal battles over weather or not to accept gays as believers.....

oh if John was alive today......

2006/3/3 1:14Profile

Re:

[url=http://www.ccel.org/w/wesley/journal/formats/journal.htm]From John Wesley's Journal[/url]

Written by Betsy:

The next pleasing awful scene was the great exertion he made in order to make Mr. B. (who had not left the room) understand that [b]he fervently desired a sermon he had written on the love of God should be scattered abroad, and given away to everybody.[/b]

Something else he wished to say, but, alas! his speech failed; and those lips which used to feed many were no longer able (except when particular strength was given) to convey their accustomed sounds.

"The best of all is, God is with us!" ~~~ "The best of all is, God is with us!"

"I'll praise--- I'll praise---! "

2006/3/3 1:46
W_D_J_D

Re:

What is then the perfection of which man is capable while he dwells in a corruptible body? It is the complying with that kind command, "My son, give me thy heart." It is the "loving the Lord his God with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his mind." This is the sum of Christian perfection: It is all comprised in that one word, Love. The first branch of it is the love of God: And as he that loves God loves his brother also, it is inseparably connected with the second: "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself:" Thou shalt love every man as thy own soul, as Christ loved us. "On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets:" These contain the whole of Christian perfection.
-John Wesley

2006/3/5 0:13Profile
Willo

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re:

"Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and the desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen, such alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of God upon earth."

''You have nothing do but to save souls. Therefore spend and be spent in this work. And go not only to those that need you, but to those that need you most... It is not your business to preach so many times, and to take care of this or that society; but to save as many souls as you can; to bring as many sinners as you possibly can to repentance.''

"I look on all the world as my parish; thus far I mean, that, in whatever part of it I am, I judge it meet, right, and my bounden duty, to declare unto all that are willing to hear, the glad tidings of salvation."

"When you set yourself on fire, people love to come and see you burn"

“My ground is the Bible. Yea, I am a Bible-bigot. I follow it in all things, both great and small.”

"I have learned that true Christianity consists, not in a set of options, or of forms and ceremonies, but in holiness of heart and life."

“I desired as many as could to join together in fasting and prayer, that God would restore the spirit of love and of a sound mind to the poor deluded rebels in America”

2006/3/5 0:36Profile

Re:John Wesley.

Thank you W_D_J_D for starting this thread.
I am checking every day now.
I'll post as I can but will read it everyday.
GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL CONTRIBUTORS. :-)

2006/3/5 4:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy