SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : ideas for lent

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

ideas for lent

Does any one have any interesting ideas for the 40 days of lent starting tomorrow?

Heres some I have done...

Read through the Bible (takes less than 40 days)
Read some other huge Christian work (I did the 'School of Christ')

This year I am hoping to memorise the (little) book of Jude

Anybody done other things or plan on doing something,

I guess we can all fall back on the old faithful - Giving up Chocolate :-P

Or will I get reprimanded because this is some tradition steming from some pagan festival
:-o

Ste

2006/2/28 16:13Profile

Re: ideas for lent

Quote:
Or will I get reprimanded because this is some tradition steming from some pagan festival

No one here gets "reprimanded"... educated, perhaps, but not "reprimanded". ;-)

Oh, and yes, it stems from a pagan religion. The RCC. :-)

Me personally, I prefer to avoid traditions of man.

Krispy

2006/2/28 16:19
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

OK, well does any one have any interesting ideas for disciplining our walk with Jesus over - say - the next 40 days or so?

Prov 9:8 Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
Prov 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
Thanks Krispy
;-)

2006/2/28 16:29Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

Every day set out to do some good. help those Who are in need of help, love those who are in need of love,ASK the Lord, to make you the light of his love, for those who are seeking Him, walk the walk, and in Love .God bless

2006/2/28 17:33Profile
warriorofgod

Re:

Evangelize!Evangelize!Evangelize!Evangelize!Evangelize!Evangelize!Evangelize!Evangelize!
If you want to grow in Christ, this will discipline you to the point that you may have your very own gethseneme experience. I dont know if i spelled that right? :-P

2006/2/28 17:45Profile
jacobswell

North East England

Re: ideas for lent

God been stirring me to do something over the next 40 days, really about preperation for Easter as I feel God is going to do awesome things in way of healing. Anyway, If you fancy being really extreme, how about following the Daniel fast (which is what I've been led to do), its basically a wheat, meat and dairy free diet. (Search on google and you'll get some ideas) It's pretty hardcore and goes beyond the usual chocolate fast, I did it recently for 12 days and I've never experienced god in such a close way. Looking forward to starting it again in .... oh look, it's just started, 12.10 am

2006/2/28 19:11Profile
jimbob

Re:

Me personally, I prefer to avoid traditions of man.

Krispy

So then you basically avoid religious services all together then?

And how about that tradition of man carried over from the Greeks and Romans called "sport". No gladiators these days, they call them running backs and wide receivers.

2006/3/2 5:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
So then you basically avoid religious services all together then?

On the contrary, scripture commands us to not forsake the gathering together, and Paul spent a lot of time giving instructions for how we should conduct ourselves when we do gather together. That was God giving His Word thru the hand of Paul.

Quote:
And how about that tradition of man carried over from the Greeks and Romans called "sport". No gladiators these days, they call them running backs and wide receivers.

We're speaking of traditions of men in a religious context with the intent to gain God's favor... your application does not apply.

Krispy

2006/3/2 5:34
roadsign

Re: fasting

What a great idea - to observe lent in a meaningful way!

The thought of fasting came to me, and I see that this has been mentioned. Fasting can be an awesome way to experience Christ and make the resurrection come alive to you as never before. I've done that in the past, combining it with Bible Study and prayer, so I speak from experience.

.. am considering it again. Perhaps this is the Lord speaking to me - through you.
Diane

PS Ste, let us know your decision so we can pray God's blessing on you.

2006/3/2 9:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy