SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : The Blessing of the Revival Hymn DVD and a Concern

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AKautz

Maryland, USA

The Blessing of the Revival Hymn DVD and a Concern

I was deeply moved by the Revival Hymn DVD and have been provoked to continue seeking repentance before God for having left my first love, which repentance I had recently begun as we (my home church congregation) started studying chapter two of the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. I sobbed many tears of grief while watching the video last night and am strongly convicted that I have buried most of my “talents” and better wake up and be restored to the holy, righteous, set apart, selfless, sacrificial, bold as a lion love so that I can be the witness Christ has called me to be. May the Lord have mercy upon not only me, but all of the members of His body that haven’t brought any fruit to perfection as He expects and grant us repentance to make it right, to the praise, honor, and glory of His name!

Watching the DVD I was a deeply moved by the stirring words of Tozer and Ravenhill, the testimony of the revival that took place in Lewis with people running out of the dance hall resulting in gatherings happening until 4 AM in the morning, and for one reason or another I found Ravenhill’s and Reidhead’s testimony about John Wesley especially stirring.

The music score is also phenomenal. I was happy with different contemporary song used in comparison to the one that was used on the audio version of the Revival Hymn (although I am unfamiliar with both songs). A suggestion I would make is that some sort of credit be given at the end of the DVD as to who are the speakers, the musicians, and the music. In fact, I would like to know, who it is that is speaking about the revival in Lewis and what is the violin music that is playing during that segment?

On another note, I would like to ask for assistance in helping to perhaps better understand something I find disturbing in Mr. Reidhead’s discourse about a humanistic gospel. In the excerpt from “Ten Shekels and a Shirt” I basically understand him to teach that if anyone comes to Christ to be saved from hell and receive eternal life that he is coming for entirely the wrong reason because such reason has man as the center rather than God and that every person that comes to God through Jesus should come on the sole basis that He is worthy to be served with our entire being, even if we end up going to hell in the end. Now I can understand being upset at the present day watered-down, compromised gospel, and that technically speaking God should be served by all things at all times without any promises, but I think Mr. Reidhead is a bit over zealous in his desire to see the church awakened to a state of true repentance and service to the King and as a result I find this part of his message to be unbiblical.

First, if I served and loved God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and my neighbor as myself according to His Word and I ended up going to hell, than God would be a liar because His Word tells me that if I do these things I will make it to Heaven and therefore He would not be worthy of the praise, honor, and glory that indeed He is worthy of. Second, the Scripture plainly declares that Christians live for and love God for two self-centered (or selfish) reasons: Because He first loved us and because He has promised us eternal life. Here’s the Scriptures:

We love him, because he first loved us. (1st John 4:19)

If we have only hoped in Christ in this life, we are of all men most pitiable… If the dead are not raised, then "let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die." (1st Cor 15:19, 32)

Do we hear the words of the Spirit in this passage of Scripture? If there is no hope of going to Heaven after this life, then give in to your carnal nature and live it up while you still have the opportunity!

Was Jesus a humanist when He said, “Come to me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest?” or when He told the very sinful Samaritan woman, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water? (John 4:10)” or when He emphasized over and over again the promise of eternal life in a place without pain or sorrow and blessings upon blessings?

Read chapter two and three of the Revelation… to every single assembly, even the lukewarm and wretched Laodiceans, Christ promises a gift to those who would repent. Certainly we dare not say that such was humanistic bribery.

No matter how well founded in a fervent and sincere zeal to see the Church revived, I am concerned that anytime we subtract from or add to what is declared in the written word of God, we are in danger of making us humans out to be something we are not and/or making God out to be something He is not. I found Mr. Reidhead’s discourse to “knock the wind” out of me a bit, causing discouragement and confusion, but I am thankful, oh so thankful for the written Word of God… for it revived me and allowed me to not throw the baby out with the bath water and thereby receive many blessings from the Revival Hymn DVD.

I suppose when I make copies of the DVD for friends as I plan to do, I will first edit out this portion of preaching by Mr. Reidhead, unless of course I am wrong, in which case I appeal to you all to help me see the light!

In the meantime, may we fearfully and soberly test all things, and hold firmly that which is good! (1st Tim 5:21)

Brothers, I don't regard myself as yet having taken hold, but one thing I do. Forgetting the things which are behind, and stretching forward to the things which are before, I press on toward the goal FOR THE PRIZE of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Phi 3:13-14)

Sincerely,

Adam Kautz

2006/2/27 22:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: The Blessing of the Revival Hymn DVD and a Concern

Hi Adam,

Quote:
On another note, I would like to ask for assistance in helping to perhaps better understand something I find disturbing in Mr. Reidhead’s discourse about a humanistic gospel. In the excerpt from “Ten Shekels and a Shirt” I basically understand him to teach that if anyone comes to Christ to be saved from hell and receive eternal life that he is coming for entirely the wrong reason because such reason has man as the center rather than God and that every person that comes to God through Jesus should come on the sole basis that He is worthy to be served with our entire being, even if we end up going to hell in the end. Now I can understand being upset at the present day watered-down, compromised gospel, and that technically speaking God should be served by all things at all times without any promises, but I think Mr. Reidhead is a bit over zealous in his desire to see the church awakened to a state of true repentance and service to the King and as a result I find this part of his message to be unbiblical.

Quote:
First, if I served and loved God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and my neighbor as myself according to His Word and I ended up going to hell, than God would be a liar because His Word tells me that if I do these things I will make it to Heaven and therefore He would not be worthy of the praise, honor, and glory that indeed He is worthy of.

Quote:
No matter how well founded in a fervent and sincere zeal to see the Church revived, I am concerned that anytime we subtract from or add to what is declared in the written word of God, we are in danger of making us humans out to be something we are not and/or making God out to be something He is not. I found Mr. Reidhead’s discourse to “knock the wind” out of me a bit, causing discouragement and confusion, but I am thankful, oh so thankful for the written Word of God… for it revived me and allowed me to not throw the baby out with the bath water and thereby receive many blessings from the Revival Hymn DVD.

Here is a link to the entire text;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=2067]Ten Shekels and a Shirt [/url].

Give it a slow read and muse on it for a bit. I think maybe you are reading a bit too much into this. I think the tense of it is '[i]by way of comparison[/i]' rather than of a 'biblical' mandate. Perhaps viewing it with that in mind would be of some help. EDIT: Want to be clear here, this in regard to the questions quoted above.

To get some more background on all this try a search on "The Revival Hymn" here. There is a lot of discussion and explanation that would go a long way in answering some of your questions. Also, just a note, there is no difference between the audio music in the versions. It is primarily from the score "The Last of the Mohican's" with the insert in the middle from the band Delirious.

2006/2/27 23:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy