SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Wicked?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Wicked?

Question, am I straining at a gnat or are they offering a camel for me to swallow?

I put the songs onto the computer at church for the Sunday service, from the request of the Minister, or band leader, I do this Friday mornings so there is no rush and changes can be made later.

Last Friday I typed in a song that started...

'Oh He's great, great, brill, brill
Wicked, wicked, skill, skill...'

The song is about Jesus and I think it's a kids song.

Does anyone else out there have a problem calling Jesus wicked?

I know the context is in the 'good sort of wicked' and 'It's just todays way of saying how wonderful something is', but in my bible the only reference to wicked is the devil or those who do his work.

I didn't go to my own church Sunday (cos I didn't want to hear a congrigation calling my saviour 'wicked'), I went to another one, I don't even know if they sang it, but I will ask and find out.

So gnat or camel?

(MAT 23:24 [Ye] blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.)

2006/2/27 16:21Profile

Re: Wicked?

I wouldn't have "typed it" for the Church.

I would have just plum refused and told the Pastor why, maybe just by a note if need be.

Changing the "meaning" of words in these days, 'is' a trick on the mind from the enemy.
Words are powerful (and I don't mean Hagin junk neither), but the media knows that secret and use it very skillfully.

Anyhow, I would talk to your Pastor about it and see if you can't dig up some junk on double-speak or whatever on the web.

I'm not bold by nature, but once in a while, we must be.

Hold tight to Jesus.
Annie

2006/2/27 16:31

Re:

It's another example of dumbing down the gospel in order to be relevent and cool. I hate it, and I dont think you should tolerate it.

[i][b]Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! [/b][/i]

I understand that whoever wrote that rediculous song did not intend to call Jesus evil, but can you think of anything more degrading to our Lord Jesus than to call Him wicked?

I'm sure people here will take issue with me on this... but I think this is completely wrong.

Krispy

2006/2/27 16:54
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Amen! Krispy and Annie!

ginnyrose

2006/2/27 18:46Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re: Wicked?

Just an update, I talked to a brother today who asked me why I wasn't there on Sunday and I told him the tale and asked if the song was sung.

Not only did they sing it but the vicar's wife (who is the Sunday school leader) was up at the front teaching actions to it.

This was to a congirgation of about 200 with a couple of families there for the Christening of their babies.

I don't like to critisize but I can't help feeling sad at the state of the church today (this is suposed to be one of the liveliest around) and how the devil must laugh at our blindness and gulability.
:-(

I did email one of the ministers with my concerns, though I haven't got an answer yet.

Thanks for your responses, I'm glad I was on the right track, in future I will try to speak out.

2006/3/1 16:19Profile

Re:

Considering both this song issue, and the baptizing of babies, I strongly recommend you find a new church.

Krispy

2006/3/1 16:57
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

I agree. Only I believe God has different ideas. I would leave tomorrow if I knew it was His will, but I daren't. Someone wrote in one of your threads; 'wow...what a shame', that some people are called to be a light in the dark churches, I guess I am one of these. I lead a small housegroup where I give them the uncompromising word of God. Without complaining I point out what the role of the church is (to show God to the world) and leave it to them to reflect on weather or not our church is doing that, but I reinforse the fact that WE are the church and we must make sure that we are in a right relationship with God, then we can have an influence on those close to us in the body and hopefully that spreads and the church as a congregation is brought closer to God.

If I leave, I take my light away and the church grows a little darker.

As to my spiritual growth, I fellowship with others on different days (not related to our church) and of course there's the influence of SI and you lot to help. I am actually well fed, so I believe, for the time being, I am in the right place.

Ste

2006/3/1 17:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy