Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Racism in the Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TaKa

Louisiana

Racism in the Church

I got the April 2005 issue of Christianity Today and the story is called "All Churches should be Multicultural - the Biblical Case and a Pastoral Response".

There were four Pastors, one white, one black, one asian and one latino, discussing the issues of race and the church:

"If we define a racially mixed congregation as one in which no one racial group is 80 percent or more of the congregation, just 7.5 percent of the more than 300,000 religious congregations in the United States are racially mixed.

Jesus quoted the prophet Isaiah when he said "My house shall be a house of prayer for all the nations". Jesus is a preacher of multicultural worship. He envisioned a future that was radically different from the one espoused by the temple leadership.

If we claim to follow Jesus and to have inherited the gospel of the first-century church, we should exhibit the same characteristics of those first Christian communities of faith. We even go so far as to say that a Christian, by biblical definition, is a follower of Jesus whose way of life is racial reconcilliation."

The predominant denomination in the town where I live has two churches, one white and one black on either end of town.

The church where I became a christian is about 60/40 white/black. I have a friend who still goes there, and when I read this article I told her that your church is a rare one in the United States.

Kind of a sad thought, but definitely something to think about.

2006/2/26 21:41Profile

Re: Racism in the Church

Hi Taka. I'm glad Heaven isn't like our Churches.

I was in the Navy when I got saved and the only other Christian I knew was a girl I worked with on Base.
I attended her Church and they loved me like no Church I've ever been in.
I had no "Church" dresses, so they bought me some.
They fed me, took me in to live with them and we went Church hopping to all the other Church's Revival meetings.

Our Church had a very very intelligent Pastor and it was a very dedicated on fire Methodist Church.

I was the only white person in that Church.
I cried when I had to leave to be stationed overseas. Pastor bought me a necklace with the Star of David and the Cross on it, because my friend had confided in him that I wanted one.

I don't understand this subject of "racism" at all. To me it's just sick to say you're a Christian and not love humans and personally, I'm sickened by this topic. It's just too much to take.

2006/2/26 23:32
saltlicker20

Grand Saline, TX

Racism...

I live in one of the most racist towns in America. When I was younger I remember watching a show like 20/20 or Dateline doing a special report on the racism in my town. The ending quote was, "And the only thing black on this year's Grand Saline football team, will be the uniforms."

We have predominant white population followed by Hispanic and .5 of an African American person according to the last census. It's sickening..because the church is so conformed to the culture. It's so difficult to see believers grow fully into what Christ has for them until they get outside of this racial bubble and encounter the blood of Christ over the color of skin.

Some day..it will happen - some day..no doubt.

In His,

DO
I Pet 4:2

2006/2/27 0:12Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

I like that Jesus when ask about another answered what is that to you,"you just follow me." I feel if we keep our eyes on our Lord who gives us word of guidaince to go by he will not leave us with out direction to be in the way. listening for his voice. If we feel diffrent it's because we are from one body with many members some are hands of help, others feet to help us move down the path that is narrow, yet others are mouths. yes there is a diffrence in each of us and thank the Lord for it. if we must talk about another how about talking to the one who is the head of us all.
God is love and also our leader. He knows who we are and loves us anyway. I pray we stand to gether in one spirit and follow the word of Gods leading for his body. ask God about some one and he may tell you "YOU just follow me" oh Lord keep my feet on your path and please keep control of my mouth, that I speak words of life. Thank you Lord Jesus

2006/2/27 2:18Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Could it be, the most segregated place to be, is in Church on Sunday morning? There are of course exceptions to this, but have you found this predominately to be true at least in the United States?

I am white Caucasian, and for the first time I guess in my life I am the minority in the Inter-City Church we have been ministering in. I am receiving a perspective I have not previously known, and wish not to miss all God would have me learn.

tonys

2006/3/10 16:49Profile
rookie

Re:

Where Racism exists in the church, the church meets for reasons of culture and not for the exaltation of Christ.

The worship of man overwhelms the worship of God.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/13 12:16Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Where Racism exists in the church, the church meets for reasons of culture and not for the exaltation of Christ.

Sometimes, there are cultural differences that divide the ways in which people worship, pray, etc. I don't believe that this is necessarily an indicator of racism, however.

It is important to note, as Jeff said, that there are often cultural differences that accompany racial features. Not always, but often. When churches are divided over cultural preferences, it isn't always an indication of racial prejudices- just cultural preferences.

I would be a good example of this. A couple of years ago I visited what would be a predominantly African American church. I only visited- it wasn't the church for me. Nothing to do with race- but moreso that it was a culture shock to what I was used to.

Is this diversity a good thing? Can't say. But it's not necessarily a bad thing either.

2006/3/13 17:42Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother gf wrote:

Quote:
A couple of years ago I visited what would be a predominantly African American church. I only visited- it wasn't the church for me. Nothing to do with race- but moreso that it was a culture shock to what I was used to.

My family attended an AME ordination of one of my brothers. My son expressed the same observation. It is the culture that we are uncomfortable with. Yet there is always something that we discover that we have in common. His name is Jesus. The unity of the faith in Christ can overcome culture. I have been in churches where diversity is great. Different races, Latino, Blacks, Whites, and Asian all worshiping together. These same churches will also be diversified in economic backgrounds. These same churches will have former drug addicts, gang bangers, prostitutes, pimps, and the former self righteous.

What I find amazing is that God, in Christ, has overcome many of the things that we allow ourselves to remain seperate from one another because of our own sin.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/3/14 12:05Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I attend a church, primarily consisting of African Americans, even though I'm white and my only concern is that we're all covered in red (i.e. the blood of Jesus).

God pulled most of us out of the bottom of the barrel, particularly myself, and graciously met us. Some of us were religionists, vile sinners of different things, critical, and self-righteous and race rarely becomes an issue. We all tend to view things, even the Word, through the prism of our experiences and God's grace is there to bridge the gap if there is one.

2006/3/14 15:46Profile
grod95

It's unfortunate that racism exists in the church. It is already a societal institution. It is part of the fiber of America. It is of no surprise that it is in the church as well. The scripture is clear that all racists have neither eternal life nor shall they enter the kingdom of God. Racism is sin and sin keeps us as the body of Christ spritually anemic and dull. A man or woman whether they be Christian or not should be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.

Jesus Christ even experienced bigotry because He was a Jew from Nazareth. Can any good thing come from Nazareth surmised Nathanael and hence the Redeemer dwelt there.

Would the church recognize their Savior if He were to appear again in the flesh or would we cast Him out as natural Israel did and crucify Him!

Make no bones about hatred unchecked breeds all other types of sins. Instead of fighting over secondary and tertiary issues, we need to pray for a mighty infilling of the Holy Ghost.

A truly spiritual man can not be racist. Racism is apart of the lower, carnal nature of which Christ has set him above.

As a black Puerto Rican American, I take the issue of racism seriously. For blacks in particular have been victims of racism since the inception of this country.

Don't get me wrong, I love America. I'm as American as apple pie. And ironically, apple pie is not even American. Anyone can come here and be an American. Our constitution declares that all men are created equal and so do our Bibles. To discriminate against a brother or sister whether they are white, black, Asian, or Latino is to discriminate against Christ and to desecrate the holiness of God.

One in Christ,

grod95

2006/3/14 20:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy