SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
pancres

Tongues

not sure how to use site.
I was brought up nominal christian.Joined R/C church on marriage.Questioned beliefs.
Now attending bible based church.A little confused about Tongues.Some say not for these times others use frequently.ie(Jackie Pullinger).
Recently told these are not of God.?? Really find all the info confusing.Anyone else solved this dilema.Thanks

2006/2/25 9:41Profile

Re: Tongues

You're not afraid to jump right into the boiling water, are ya!! By the way, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. If you're not careful you may just learn a few things.

I personally take a middle road approach about tongues. I personally believe that tongues are active today, but not nearly as prevelant as some think. I dont agree with Fundamental Baptists who claim it ceased with the Apostles, because if it did... why did Paul spend so much time writing about it? But I also disagree with those who say that it is an initial sign of being Baptised with the Holy Spirit. I dont believe every Christian should speak in tongues.

I'm confortable with the portion God has given me concerning gifts of the Spirit. He gives me what I need. If someone else wants to speak in tongues till they are blue in the face, what is that to me? But I will take issue when someone says "You're not filled with the Spirit if you dont speak in tongues" ... or that tongues strengthen a believer more than those who dont. Matthew Henry never spoke in tongues, nor William Tyndale... and I'll stack those two men up against any tongues speaker any day of the week.

After I got saved we got deeply invovled in the Charismatic Movement and the Word Of Faith doctrine... and I've see a lot of junk. I've since rejected the majority of their doctrines concerning the Holy Spirit, but I havent thrown the baby out with the bathwater like some do.

I know I didnt offer much in the way of scripture to bolster my position, but I will if required. There has been much written on this forum about this very subject. You may want to avail yourself of those threads as well.

Krispy

2006/2/25 9:59
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Pancres,
Seems to me people have a greater problem with the tongue they are familar with let alone some other "unknown" tongue...:-(

ginnyrose

2006/2/25 16:11Profile
crusader

Australia:

hello all

i am a believer that speaks in tongues, this was something that I asked God for and he gave it to me. through the many different churches that i have been in an heard different people talk in tongues. there are some tongues that i have heard that the lord warned me about and brought my attention 2 but i do not know why except that their tongue was bable and there heart was only interested in people looking at them and their gift. When God has really revealed his will to us in pray meetings everyones tongue seemed to be definitly another language. when i pray in tongues i find God gives me anwsers to different prayers that i have prayed but sometimes if my heart is not in it my words feel like repetitive bable and no anwsers are given. I feel it's about our heart and our walk with jesus. i thank God that he gave me tongues because i love to sing to the lord in them when no one is around with out anyone around. plus my life is heavely placed around prayer and i needed the extra strength. the holy spirit was in my heart before i spoke in tongues!

2006/2/26 10:32Profile
warriorofgod

Re:

Hello , yall. I'm new to this site but not to the body. I have studied this isssue of tongues for a long while now. I'm sure many of us have. I am convinced what the bible teaches about tongues on how there were two different manifestations. The the one in acts and the one in the corinthian church were different. This is one of the many things that i had found out about it. Here's my point, the bible seems to confirm the existance of tongues but there is something very wrong in the body today! If tongues are real today then why is everybody in most charasmatic churches speaking with them? The bible says that not all speak with tongues.(1 Cor. 12:30) Most of the church also teaches that all you have to do is recieve the gift. They simply go into another room or on the altar and recieve the gift. By praying over them, they manifest this gift. Doesn't bible say that the spirit gives gifts as he wills?(1 cor. 12:11)I usto go to theses churches, and it seems to me that we have the holy spirit programed for our pleasure. Also, my last question is this. Why are the catholics now speaking in tongues. Today they are using this and other charasmatic gifts to bring forth memebers. The average catholic church a couple of years ago was about fifty members. After implementation of the gifts, membership sored to 200 and growing. Many would say there are false tongues. I could understand that arguement since satan is able to counterfiet alot of things. But just like money, there are ways to spot which one is authentic and which one is not. With the bible we are able to spot false teachings, false prophecies, false christians, but we are left in the dark about false tongues? The bible talks about lying wonders and miracles but the question still stands, How do you tell the difference? Please help me with this. God Bless you.

2006/2/26 11:08Profile
lamuskrat

Gonzales, La

Welcome to SI.

I am a firm believer in tongues and the baptism in the Holy Spirit w/ the evidence of tongues. It can be very disturbing to those who are unfamiliar with the gifts and baptism. As I would tell anyone who has questions regarding doctrine and theology.... STUDY and PRAY. We here are human and not one of us here have all the doctrines correct. If in doubt Study the word...do not just read. Seriously study and do while praying for Gods guidance. He WILL lead you to all truth.

Quote:
Seems to me people have a greater problem with the tongue they are familar with let alone some other "unknown" tongue...

That is a good statement and hope to remember and use it in the future.

2006/2/26 11:26Profile
warriorofgod

Re:

I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between the tongues you speak and the the ones the catholics are speaking? Not sarcastic, just want to know the truth. like i have said before, i know that the bible says about the subject. But whats happening in the world is just not matching up.

2006/2/26 11:40Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

I think we can all agree.the day of Pencost they were baptized with the Holy Ghost!in reading (Act2:6.this is the (tongue) threw out the NT the word in greek word-(Glossa)=tongue,and the greek word for Talking=lalia which = the word GLOSSALAIA= (speaking dialects of foreign languages) in human text!!!. Now the term Glossalaia which now has been adopted in a new movement which started by Episcople priest in California in 1960. has no human text or dialects.

2006/2/26 18:29Profile

Re:

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the [u]tongues1100[/u] of men444 [u]and2532 of angels,32[/u] and have not charity26 {Agape}, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2006/2/26 18:36
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

Tongues 1100..of men444 ,we know that paul was educated in more than one language from his youth, and study of the law.being a Jew also a roman.....and 2532..,(of angels 32)..as a Messenger of Truth a pastor!...Now we Know that PAUL speaks the truth by the Holy Ghost,A Messenger of the Good NEWs. The day of Pencost ( Acts 2:4-6 The Holy Ghost spoke and people from (all over the Land with different languages,Heard these men which speak (Galilaeans) ,every man heard them speak in his own Dialects of Language!

2006/2/26 20:16Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy