SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : WHICH Commandments?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sscr01

WHICH Commandments?

God, Himself, wrote the Ten Commandments, with His own finger, in tablets of stone. These tablets were placed inside the Ark of the Covenant, in the Holiest Place in the temple - in the very presence of God.

Jesus said, "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up...But he spake of the temple of his body." John 2:19-21. Here, Jesus made the transition from the temple building to the temple of His body.

Later, the Apostle Paul wrote, "Know ye not that YE are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? Jesus left us here as His temple upon the earth.

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people." (This is the New Covenant) Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:10.

WHO is he speaking of? Paul answers, "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made, He saith not, And to thy seeds, as of many: but as of one, And to thy seed which is Christ." "And if ye be Christ's, then are YE Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:16,29.

"For HE IS NOT A JEW, who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Romans 2:28,29.

The promises were made through Abraham to the children of promise, who are justified by faith -whether Jew or Gentile.

So now, we as the body of Christ, are His temple. IF we are children of the New Covenant, the Lord has written, with His own finger, His laws upon our hearts.

WHICH laws have endured? "And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ARK of his testament..." Revelation 11:19. And which laws were inside the ark? The Ten Commandments - God's moral law.

This Scripture tells us, that the Ten Commandments are in Heaven. Not nine - ten.

When God finished His great work of Creation, He sealed it by sanctifying and blessing the seventh day, as a monument to His great work. He finished and rested (sat down, if you will). When Jesus bought creation back, He cried, "It is finished!" and sat down at the right hand of God and rested. By faith in His redemption work, we, also, enter into His rest.

The seventh day points to His Lordship, as Creator of all things. It, also, commemorates redemption (Deuteronomy 5:12-15) and restoration (Isaiah 66:23). God sanctified the seventh day at Creation - before man's fall and long before the law was given.

In the Garden of Eden, God told Adam and Eve, that, they could eat from any tree in the garden, save one...and what did they do? They heeded Satan, who queried? "Hath God said?" And ever since, men have questioned God's Word. Adam and Eve chose their own tree, over-ruling God's Word, authority and Lordship over their lives.

In the fourth commandment, God said, "REMEMBER the Sabbath day, to keep it holy...FOR in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: WHEREFORE (for this reason) the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."

It's really very simple - the Sabbath day could never be any other day, because it is, inseparably, linked to His Creation work.

We have exchanged God's Word (just like Adam and Eve) for the traditions of men. He sanctified the seventh day. He never changed His mind and sanctified the first day of the week - "the venerable day of the sun" - Men chose their own day, over-ruling God's Word, authority and Lordship over their lives.

God's true people will surrender their various traditions and return to the Word of God, alone (sola scritura) and once-again, acknowledge His Lordship.

The angel calls in Revelation, "Fear God and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgement is come: and worship him that made heaven and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of water." Revelation 14:7 - Worship our Creator.

Jesus said, "...but IF thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Here, the context is the Ten Commandments.) Matthew 19:17b.

The "Two Greatest Commandments" that Jesus gave, are a summation of the Ten. If you love the Lord, supremely, you will keep the first four. If you love your neighbour as yourself, you will, also, keep the last six.

Do you want to have RIGHT to the tree of life? Do you want to ENTER Heaven?

At the end we read, "Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.: Revelation 22:14.

At the very end of the Book of Books, the Apostle John makes a connection between keeping the commandments, and entering Heaven.

2006/2/24 21:55Profile

Re: WHICH Commandments?

Love was FIRST. To God and others.

I've seen this discussion so many times, I only can ask ... what Christian would "want" to break any ?

I guess I don't understand why this is an issue with or for anyone.

The Holy Spirit inside is what we have that the folks at the mountain with Moses didn't have and we have His law written upon our hearts and have received new hearts of flesh in place of our hearts of stone.

We "walk in the Spirit" if we follow Christ as He's asked us to ... By His Spirit.

We follow Him by The Spirit of the law, not the letter.
It should come as a natural by-product of "abiding in Him" that we produce the fruit of fulfilling the Law by the fruit of the Spirit.
Galatian's writings and that of Love, is the fulfilling of all of the law and prophets.

If you work out the law in the flesh, you are no longer His. You have fallen from Grace.

His Love.
Annie

2006/2/24 22:40
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Romans 14:3 The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

Instead of coming up with fanciful interpretations of the Scriptures in order to make them say something they don't e.g. Sabbath keeping as required in the New Covenant- let's instead stick to Scripture.

Nowhere in the entirity of Scriptures are the ten commandments ever thought of simply as "the moral law." Such is a fanciful description man has invented. Rather, Deut 4:13 makes it abundantly clear the Ten Commandments are viewed is not simply some moral law, but rather, the Mosaic covenant itself:

Deut 4:13 So He declared to you [u]His covenant[/u] which He commanded you to perform, [u]that is, the Ten Commandments[/u]; and He wrote them on [u]two tablets[/u] of stone.

I agree the New Covenant embraces the moral law, and that indeed, the Ten Commandments/Old Covenant embraces the moral law. However, the Ten Commandments themselves are not the moral law. Sabbath observance is not a moral law, it's ceremonial, and tied to the worship pattern of the Old Covenant, which are patterns of heavenly realities, realities which have been fully realized in Christ.

I won't discourage you from keeping the Sabbath. Keep it all you want, and do it with all your might, and do so as unto the Lord. However, do not act as our judge if we decide to esteem all days alike.

2006/2/24 23:11Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Christ fulfilled the law because we couldn't. He kept all the commandments because we can't. I still want to, and we should, but if I am going to go to heaven based on keeping anything, I am in trouble. I am under His blood.

Romans 10:4 "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth."

I believe in all those obediance verses. But abiding in law is not a prerequisite for salvation, it is an evidence of salvation. We no longer want to sin, but still do.

Don't get the idea that I am not big on Lordship or law, but the law is just a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. The law also evidences those claimed by Christ.

“I CANNOT SPARE THE LAW ONE MOMENT,
NO MORE THAN I CAN SPARE CHRIST. EACH IS CONTINUALLY SENDING ONE TO THE OTHER. THE LAW TO CHRIST AND CHRIST TO THE LAW.”

-JOHN WESLEY, FROM SERMON: “THE ORIGINAL NATURE, PROPERTY AND USE OF THE LAW

I do believe that salvation is of obediance. Repent is a command. Believe is a command. But the keeping of an ordinance is an evidence of these things, not necessary to keep salvation.

Col 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days"

2006/2/25 0:02Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Quote:

"""God's true people will surrender their various traditions and return to the Word of God, alone (sola scritura) and once-again, acknowledge His Lordship.

The angel calls in Revelation, "Fear God and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgement is come: and worship him that made heaven and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of water." Revelation 14:7 - Worship our Creator.

Jesus said, "...but IF thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Here, the context is the Ten Commandments.) Matthew 19:17b.

The "Two Greatest Commandments" that Jesus gave, are a summation of the Ten. If you love the Lord, supremely, you will keep the first four. If you love your neighbour as yourself, you will, also, keep the last six.

Do you want to have RIGHT to the tree of life? Do you want to ENTER Heaven?

At the end we read, "Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.: Revelation 22:14.

At the very end of the Book of Books, the Apostle John makes a connection between keeping the commandments, and entering Heaven."""

This will all happen in the millennium and Israel will return to the Word of God.

For the Christian it has already happened by the Christ that is Born Again in us. The complete fulfillment of the Whole Law is now our Life. We are already the son's of God and only son's can keep His Law by the Spirit of It which is Christ in you the Hope of Glory. Christ is now our nature and by His Nature we are the Spirit of the Law and not the Letter which kills.

IN Christ: Phillip

2006/2/25 1:56Profile
Graftedbranc

I think "just popping in' did a masterful job of some excellent points consering the outward nature of the law and the inward nature of the Spirit in the New Testament. And in fact his showing that the tablets of law in the Ark in the holy of holies are now in the holy of holies of our regenerated Spirit is an excellent point.

But where he breakes down is in then taking the inward law of the Spirit within our spirit, then re-extracting it and applying it once again to us as our outward observance undoes the whole reality of the New Covenant.

We do keep the Sabboth in principle as those of the New Covenent. That is rest. And this is fully developed in Hebrews regarding the Sabboth being Christ our rest and also the comming day of rest in the age of the Kingdom.

But the principle of the Sabboth is this, God worked for 6 days and on the sixth day, He created man. And He rested on the seventh day. The Seventh day which was God's rest became man's first day.

And therefore man works from rest. He beginns with the Sabboth, he does not end with it.

And the New Testament principle of the Sabboth is that we begin from rest in Christ. His work is finished and we being by resting with Him and in Him. And our work for Him flows from this.

To ignore the principle of the Sabboth is to regard ourselves independant and not needing God at all. We just work and then rest.

But to keep the principle of the Sabboth for us believers is to begin by resting in Christ. Not in an outward observance of a day, but inwardly by feeding on Christ, by being brought by the Spirit into our rest in Him. and then working from rest.

And practically speaking, in the new testament, there is no record of Sunday ever being refered to as the Sabboth. Rather it was called "the Lord's day", because it was the day in which Chirst resurrected signifying that His work was completed

And it's significance is that the New Creation begins in resurrection.

But the diciples did not even observe "the Lord's day" as a special "holy day". Rather the record of Acts is they met day by day and house to house. They had no special day.

There is nothing holy about sunday. And Christ Himself is the reality of the Sabboth. We don't obseve "the Lord's day" by refraining from work or not shopping or what have you. That is just religious tradition. It has nothing to do with the New Testament. But rather we observe Christ every day. We begin each day in Christ with Christ and resting in Christ and out from here we work.

Graftedbranch

2006/2/25 14:34Profile
sscr01

Re:

I, mistakenly, placed my response as a new post, entitled "Which Commandments?" I hope, that, you will follow-up by reading it.

2006/2/26 12:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy