SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Obeying the Spirit--The Key to Personal Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Billy7

Obeying the Spirit--The Key to Personal Revival

Quote:
BY MeAgain: "We should have reckoned ourselves dead unto sin, prayed till we learned His "still small voice" and then "followed" Him from thence. "Walking in the Spirit" is the complete fulfillment of obedience, relationship and cooperation in active ministry."

This quote really spoke to me about the importance of our obedience to the Holy Spirit, especially in the matter of experiencing personal revival. I mean, how else can we be revived unless we obey the promptings of the Spirit, and what else is revival but a renewed obedience to the Holy Spirit and God's word? I believe it was Finney who defined revival as a return to obedience to God.

Also, I am reminded of Evan Robert's message "from the Lord" that was the catalyst for triggering the Welsh revival of 1904. It was very concise, yet very powerful:

1) You must confess every known sin to God and make every wrong done to man right.

2) You must remove every doubtful habit from your life.

3) You must obey the Holy Spirit promptly.

4) You must go public with your witness of Christ. Christ said, "If I be lifted up. I will draw all men unto Me."

While all of Mr. Roberts points are important, I am particularly struck by point three: "promptly obey the Holy Spirit." No doubt this is the key to real revival in our lives; everything we do must be a result of being led by the Spirit. After all, it is the Spirit who must convict us and reveal the sin in our lives that we must confess and make right; it is the Spirit who must make us aware of the doubtful habits that are in our lives; and it is the Spirit who must prompt us as to when and where we should make Christ known publicly.

God has really been laying it on my heart lately that the sons of God are those who are led by the Spirit of God, and that true revival is something that is birthed within us by His Spirit. It is the work of the Holy Ghost! My part is simply to pray, and then trust and obey the leading of the Holy Spirit. Anything less or more than this is merely a work of the flesh.

Any thoughts?

2006/2/20 8:36Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Obeying the Spirit--The Key to Personal Revival

Amen! I am reminded of a wonderful old hymn that really sums things up quite simply, "trust and obey".

When we walk with the Lord
in the light of his word,
what a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will,
he abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.
Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

2.Not a burden we bear,
not a sorrow we share,
but our toil he doth richly repay;
not a grief or a loss,
not a frown or a cross,
but is blest if we trust and obey.
(Refrain)

3.But we never can prove
the delights of his love
until all on the altar we lay;
for the favor he shows,
for the joy he bestows,
are for them who will trust and obey.
(Refrain)

4.Then in fellowship sweet
we will sit at his feet,
or we'll walk by his side in the way;
what he says we will do,
where he sends we will go;
never fear, only trust and obey.
(Refrain)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/2/20 9:48Profile

Re: Obeying the Spirit--The Key to Personal Revival

This is so true. I was thinking yesterday about all of the truth that is just found on this website. There are so many sermons that if we would glean from each message we listen to just one word from the Lord and actively apply it to our lives there would be revival! If we would take these messages on prayer and really [b]pray more[/b] I truly believe God would do a greater work in men’s hearts. How desperate are we to know God and to walk intimately with Him? Are we content to be ministered to and ministered to and yet never pour out anything in return?
My life is the neediest of all. I fear my heart is so hard that I often try to apply the words I hear to the lives of others and neglect my own.

[i]Lord, whatever it takes, please bring us(me!) to the place where we hang on Your every Word and in our love for You, eagerly obey ALL that You ask us to do! Lord, break the hardness in our hearts that we might be more sensitive to the leading of Your Spirit![/i]

2006/2/20 12:11

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy