SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are you really pure deep down inside?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Are you really pure deep down inside?

I think many of us know that deep down within us we have an area of filth that we have never been able completely to get clean or get rid of. Deep inside us exist attitudes and desires that we cannot control and that no one else knows about, but we know about them.

Here is a description of some of what exist there in that heart of darkness.

Ask the Holy Spirit to show you in what areas you are not yet fully pure.

A secret spirit of pride, an exulted feeling in view of your success or position because of your good training or appearance, because of your natural gifts and abilities. An important independent spirit, a love of human praise, a secret fondness to be noticed, a love of supremacy, our drawing attention to self in conversation. A swelling out of self when you have had a free time in speaking or praying. The stirrings of anger or impatience which worst of all you call nervousness or holy indignation. A touchy sense sort of spirit, a disposition to resent and retaliate when disapproved off or contradicted, a desire to throw sharp heated flings at another. Self will, a stubborn un-teachable spirit, an arguing talkative spirit, harsh sarcastic expressions, an unyielding headstrong disposition, a driving commanding spirit, a disposition to criticize and pick flaws when set aside and unnoticed, a peevish threatful spirit, a disposition that loves to be coaxed and humored.

Carnal fear, a man fearing spirit, a shrinking from your approach and duty, reasoning around your cross, a shrinking from doing your whole duty by those of wealth or position, a fearfulness that will someone will offend and drive some prominent person away, a compromising spirit. A jealous disposition, a secret spirit of envy shut up in your heart, an unpleasant sensation and view of the great prosperity and success of another, a disposition to speak up the faults and failings rather than the gifts and virtues of those more talented and appreciated then yourself. A dishonest deceitful disposition, the evading and covering of the truth, the covering up of your real faults, leaving a better impression of yourself than is strictly true, false humility, exaggeration, straining the truth. Unbelief, spirit of discouragement in times of pressure and opposition, lack of quietness and confidence in God, lack of faith and trust in God, a disposition to worry and complain in the midst of pain and poverty, an overanxious feeling whether everything will come out all right. Formality and deadness, dryness and indifference. Selfishness, love of ease and the love of money.

2006/2/18 7:34
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hi Freecd,

Seem to recall this from somewhere ...
Is it Earnest O'Neil? Someone else, or did you pen this?

Quite the list though

2006/2/18 7:53Profile

Re: Are you really pure deep down inside?

This was from a sermon by Rev. Ernest O'Neill but he was reading an article called the self life by Rev. E. E. Shelhamer.

None of these characteristics are "normal" or "natural" for any Christian.

2006/2/19 13:07
saltlicker20

Grand Saline, TX

Re:

AHHHHHHHH! These are so true....this post might as well have been a mirror for me to look into.

I struggle with taking the knowledge with the conviction and willfuly fighting it with the power of the Spirit. Selifishness...blaaaah

Vanity, vanity...like chasing after the wind. It's only by the grace of God any of us are allowed to be a part of the ministry - much more the blessing of seeing God work through us.

So beautiful is His love.

DO
I Pet 4:2

2006/2/19 15:11Profile

The soul of man, how precious it is. Both the flesh and the Spirit war with each other to gain it's attention.

Our mind is the problem, it must be changed. It wasn't changed when we were born again, but our heart was. We have a new heart but we do not have a new soul. This is something that must come thru many years of breaking and renewing, it's a work of the holy Ghost.

Hebrews 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Even though Paul says to put on the mind of Christ, in essense we are to exchange our mind for His, if we are to totally die out, to where Paul said, Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

What a dying out, eh? man oh man.

2006/2/19 20:45

Re:Cooperation with the Spirit.

Very good Post brother Karl.

You've shown "our" responsibility very well.

The Lord has been dealing out to me, all that He has already done, "It is Finished" and the Blessing of His Outpouring of our enablement, His Spirit into ours ... the most that I see, is our need to "walk in it". Walk in the fulness that He's already provided and made availible to us.

Thank you brother.
Annie

2006/2/19 21:01
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi freecd...!

This is interesting. It reminds me of the message about "[i]Breaking Up the Fallowed Ground[/i]" by Charles Finney. Good stuff.

There is also a message by Leonard Ravenhill called "[i]A Pure Heart[/i]." My heart burns with holy passion and conviction each time I hear it. It is available in 2 or 3 parts on this website.

Here is a link for a version of "[i]Breaking Up the Fallowed Ground[/i]" as edited by Keith and Melody Green:

http://www.lastdaysministries.org/articles/breakingupthefallowground.html

Be consumed!

:-)

2006/2/19 23:33Profile

Here is the original

TRAITS OF THE CARNAL MIND

The following are some of the features and manifestations of carnality:

Reader, the Spirit ALONE can interpret and apply this tract to your individual case. As you read, examine yourself as if in the immediate presence of God. Do you ever feel

1. A secret sense of pride; an exalted feeling in view of your success or position; because of your good training and appearance; because of your natural gifts and abilities; an important, independent spirit; stiffness and preciseness; married to your opinion?

2. Love of human praise; a secret fondness to be noticed; love of supremacy; drawing attention to self in conversation; a swelling out of the ego when you have had a free time in speaking or praying!

3. The stirrings of anger or impatience -- but worst of all you call it nervousness or holy indignation; a touchy, sensitive spirit; a disposition to resent and retaliate when reproved or contradicted; sharp, heated flings at another?

4. Self will; a stubborn, unteachable spirit; an arguing, talkative spirit; harsh, sarcastic expressions; an unyielding, headstrong disposition; a driving, commanding spirit; a disposition to criticize and pick flaws when set aside and unnoticed; a peevish, fretful spirit; a disposition that loves to be coaxed and humored?

5. Carnal fear, a man-fearing spirit; a shrinking from reproach and duty; reasoning around the cross; a shrinking from doing your whole duty by those of wealth or position; a fearfulness that some one will get out of the Spirit and thus offend and drive some prominent person away; a compromising, holding-back spirit?

6. A jealous disposition; a secret spirit of envy shut up in your heart; an unpleasant sensation in view of the great prosperity and success of another; a disposition to speak of the faults and failings rather than the gifts and virtues of those more talented and appreciated than yourself?

7. Lustful stirrings; unholy actions, a carnal leaning; undue affection and familiarity toward those of the opposite sex; wandering eyes; looking the second time?

8. A dishonest, deceitful disposition; evading and covering the truth; covering up your real faults; leaving a better impression of yourself than is strictly true; false humility; exaggeration; straining the truth when it is to your advantage?

9. Unbelief; a spirit of discouragement in times of pressure and opposition; lack of quietness and confidence in God; lack of faith and trust in God; a disposition to worry and complain in the midst of pain, poverty, or at the dispensations of Divine Providence; an overanxious feeling whether everything will come out all right?

10. Formality and. deadness; lack of concern for lost souls; dryness and indifference; lack of power with God? Selfishness, love of ease; love of money, etc.?

These are some of the traits which generally indicate a carnal heart. If one principle is lurking there, you can depend on it, they are ALL there. By prayer and fasting hold your heart open to the searching light of God until you see the groundwork thereof. "Knowing this that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.'' (Romans 6:6.) Do not patch over, but go to the bottom. It will pay. Hallelujah! (E. E. S.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let Me Die

O God, my heart doth long for Thee
Let me die! Let me die!
Now set my soul at liberty;
Let me die! Let me die!
Die to the trifling things of earth,
There now to me of little worth;
My Savior calls -- I'm going forth;
Let me die! Let me die!

My friends may say I'll ruined be,
If I die! If I die!
If I leave all and follow Thee,
But I'll die! Yes, I'll die!
Their arguments will never weigh,
Nor stand the trying judgment day;
Help me to cast them all away,
Let me die! Let me die!

Thy slaying power in me display,
Let me die! Let me die!
I must be dead from day to day;
Let me die! Let me die!
Dead to the world and its applause,
To all the customs, fashions, laws,
Of those who hate the humbling cross;
Let me die! Let me die!

Oh, I must die to scoffs and sneers,
Let me die! Let me die!
I must be freed from slavish fears;
Let me die! Let me die!
So dead that no desire will rise
To appear good or great or wise,
In any but my Savior's eyes;
Let me die! Let me die!

When I am dead then, Lord, to Thee
Will I live, will I live.
My time, my strength, my all to Thee
Will I give, will I give.
I'll work for Thee, my blessed Lord;
I'll be obedient to Thy Word;
I'll wield with power the Gospel sword.
While I live, while I live.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back To The Bible

Dedicated to God's Bible School
By Everett Shelhamer

Back to the Bible, Let this our motto be,
Back to the grand old Book that sets us free,
This is our only hope of victory,
Back to the Word of God

Chorus
Back to the Bible, let's sing it everywhere,
Back to the Bible, sent it on the air;
Preach it and live it, -- to every nation give it,
Back to the Word of God.

Back to the Bible of comfort, peace and cheer,
Shining more bright when days are dark and drear,
Blessing and light leap from its pages dear,
Back to the Word of God.

Back to the Bible, let puny critics rave,
For our Gibraltar stands the wildest wave,
Still it has power the perishing to save,
Back to the Word of God.

Back to the Bible, sweet balm for the distressed,
Highway to Canaan's holy, happy rest,
Leading at last to Heaven with the blest,
Back to the Word of God.

2006/2/20 12:03
brentw

Ohio

This is good stuff. We do have to be careful not to be critical or hard on ourselves when reading a laundry list of carnal things... We sometimes can make a check list for ourselves like a grocery list...
As Ravenhill said just let the Holy Ghost come...

This is real good stuff..

2006/2/20 14:36Profile

Re: Here is the original

This is a definate eye opener. I noticed that most of these things deal with MOTIVE. The motive of our works will be the deciding factor in glory, of wether or not we'll recieve any reward at all. I think we need to be continually aware of the reason we are doing the things we are doing. Is it for self glorification, or the glorification of God. We have to be completely honest with ourselves in this area, lest we decieve ourselves.

Great article!!!

2006/2/20 19:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy