SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : hebrew bible

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
free

hebrew bible

I have a reading assignment, reading Yahweh and Jesus by Harold Bloom. There are so many angry and false assertions by this Jewish writer. I wonder if someone could tell me how much of the Hebrew Bible is our Old Testament. He has claimed that the Christians have usurped the H.Bible.

2006/2/16 4:35Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: hebrew bible

The Hebrew Bible = The Old Testament. Many Jews I've personally encountered were pretty angry we use the Hebrew Scriptures. They say Christian scholars deliberately mistranslate passages, etc.

2006/2/16 15:21Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: hebrew bible

There have been recrminations since the first days of Christianity. The Greek speaking Jews finally stopped using the Septuagint (the OT translated into Greek for Jews whose first language had become Greek). This was translated around 200 BC. The Septuagint was the KJV of the early church and a powerful tool for evangelism. Consequently it become greatly hated by orthodox Jews.

As regards the actual parts of the OT. The Hebrew canon (officially recognised Bible) is pretty much the same as that in your own OT. This might be a useful introduction [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Testament]Click Here[/url]

2006/2/16 16:55Profile
free

Re: incarnation and Paul

There are many complaints about Paul, one of which is that Paul thinks the Resurrection is entirely spiritual (1 Corinthians 15:44)

Also that Paul evades if not denies the Incarnation (Phil 26-11)

Please enlighten me on the above. Thank you

2006/2/18 7:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Dissection Anomalous ...

From the link provided by Philologos;

Quote:
Current debate concerning the historicity of the Old Testament can be divided into several camps. One group has been labeled by its critics "biblical minimalists." Minimalists (e.g. Philip Davies, Thompson, Seters) see very little reliable history in any of the Old Testament. Conservative Old Testament scholars "biblical maximalists" generally accept the historicity of all Old Testament narratives (save the accounts in Genesis 1-11) on confessional grounds, though they argue that such a belief is not incompatible with the external evidience (e.g. Kenneth Kitchen). While other scholars (e.g. William Dever) are somewhere in between: they see clear signs of evidence for the monarchy and much of Israel's later history though they doubt the Exodus and Conquest. The vast majority of scholars at American universities are somewhere between biblical minimalism and maximalism; there are still many maximalists at conservative\evangelical seminaries while there are very few biblical minimalists.

Reminded me of this other 'sort';

[i]One of these days some simple soul will pick up the Book of God, read it, and believe it. Then the rest of us will be embarrassed.[/i] --Leonard Ravenhill

2006/2/18 9:19Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

free,
are your question arising from something in this thread? If so, I have missed it.

2006/2/18 13:19Profile
free

Re:

Im truly sorry, Phil, I guess I wasnt clear about the rules. But though I wasnt on the same page I was in the same book. Ive been asking questions raised by Harold Bloom's book - Jesus and Yahweh. There are so many issues brought up by him that I feel I need to be an apologist for my faith when I discuss it with my friends. The questions I raised are the very ones that Im at a loss to respond to. At least I will not be able to bring up a verse to back me up. Thanks for whatever help you can give me. BTW this is also a tremendous way to fill in the gaps in my Bible knowledge.

2006/2/19 13:36Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I guess I wasnt clear about the rules. But though I wasnt on the same page I was in the same book.

We've all done this at some time but just to keep things clear for other readers why not start a new thread in the Lounge section called something like 'Questions about Paul'? and then we can all contribute as we feel appropriate.

2006/2/19 18:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy