SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Saint Must Walk Alone - A.W. Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
jonthony

Southern CA. USA

Re: The Saint Must Walk Alone

Axe1338;

Here's a downloaded version with another voice reading the sermon. It's the best I could find. If you find it with Tozer speaking, get back with me.

http://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/articles/the-saint-must-walk-alone.php

Be Blessed. Tozer was one of a kind. Not to many around like him today, that preaches the goodness and serverity of God.

2011/12/5 0:43Profile

Re:

I remember this thread from a couple of years ago. Its such a vital subject. There are moments and seasons that we must walk alone. Indeed, the deepest and darkest parts of the valley will be the time when will have no mortal help, and in fact, will feel abandoned by God. If Jesus Himself can cy out from the cross " My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me,' then saints, you know in your spirit that you too will face such a time or times. Yet these times only come to those who have chosen the high road of Calvary. This high road leads through the lowest reaches of the valley which the narrow path winds.

Jesus reaches this point at Gethsemane. The intensity of the call, this all or nothing moment. The Fathers will is on the line. What shall be done? To obey will lead to death, and not just death, the death of the cross. How many will bow at these moments, these moments or seasons where we shall be totally alone and say " Not my will but thine be done?" If you have never cried out " Oh Father, let this cup pass from me,' then you have never faced a true Gethsemane. I wrote this poem with that in mind......

Before you wear the crown

Before the crown we’re called to wear
There is a cross that we must bear
Before He struggled up the Hill
He had to choose His Father’s will

Before the victory was won
He had to say ” Thy will be done.”
And on the cross He did atone
But not before He prayed alone

If we desire to climb that hill
We must desire to do His will
For victory will not be won
Until we say ” Thy will be done.”

So if you will take up your cross
It’d serve you well to count the cost
For before He died to set you free
He died alone at Gethsemane

2011/12/5 1:14
anepa

Re:

Thank you for the poem brother.

Walking in the narrow way is lonely many a time. But it has the footsteps - of the One who walked there before. And we can take heart that in the end, we are going to see the One whose footsteps trod that path. We will see Jesus!

"Looking unto Jesus", being led by the Holy Spirit, following His Word, getting encouraged and cheered by that great cloud of witness, we strive to run the race.

Sometimes, it's too much to even think beyond one day - as the future looks so unsure and hopeless - looking to the past makes it double miserable, and all we can do is -

Take one day at a time with Jesus; and one day we'll see Jesus. Yeah, we'll see Jesus, that lover of our soul.

2011/12/5 2:25Profile
live4jc

Re:

In the natural, such a truth doesn't seem like it should be encouraging- and yet it is. Paul said, " I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus". And he also said, "That I may know Him and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his suffering". The suffering that each of us as Christians bear is unique. Yet as we see in others, the marks of having walked the same, sometimes lonely narrow road, we are drawn together by the fellowship, of having walked it together- with Christ.

In Jesus,
John

2011/12/5 4:02Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: The Saint Must Walk Alone - A.W. Tozer

All those that follow Jesus denying themselves and taking up the cross will experience this lonliness that they have been forsaken by all. The Apostle Paul experienced this lonliness when he said "all men forsook me", but then he was quick to reply: "Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion." (2 Timothy 4:17).

At times it might seem like all men have forsaken us, but the Lord will never leave us or forsake us. (Hebrews 13:5)

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He alos justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:28-31

Mike

2011/12/5 9:58Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

God bless all the lonely saints of God, the path is indeed narrow and often requires that we walk single file. by Brother Frank. Amen to this brother.

It seems that is where I long to be the most. I love to go out and fellowship with other believers or to share Jesus with anyone the Lord brings my way but it seems like the Lord keeps calling me back to Himself - alone with Him. And it is there I find my best times. And if too busy, I find I am longing to get away and be with Him alone.

I am wondering if the Holy Spirit is bringing us to be at His feet more and more and more - alone with Him - as to be what we may need for the future.

Alone in a prison cell etc. Alone with Him and not going mad but alone because we have been used to being alone with Him.

There was a Pastor who was in prison, in solitary, for many, many years and when released he was asked, what was it like for you? And he said, "It was like a honeymoon with Jesus." I can hardly tell that story without wet eyes.

So, now it seems the Holy Spirit is drawing us to be alone with Him more and more as to prepare us for that day.

I picture myself sometimes being with a bunch of people as well and comforting them as we await our destiny, quoting Scriptures, singing praises, praying etc. Encouraging or bringing people to Jesus. I want to be prepared in case the Lord wants to use me in this way. In anyway He chooses I want to be prepared and be used to being with Him.

Be always prepared to preach, pray or die I heard it said.

Alone with Him is the most wonderful thing in this world. I long for it I crave it. I used to be so lonely, so hurting and my Savior has filled all of that and no one could take His place. There will never be a lonely bone in my body as He is always with Me and I with Him.

I want to be found in Him. In the Word, quoting Scripture, singing praises to Him, worshiping, fellowship with Him when He comes for me.

He is faithful to finish the good work in us and He will never leave us nor forsake us. I pray all the hurting people will find and be comforted by our Savior, the lover of our souls. My heart breaks for those who dont know Him or know how to rely upon Him. Come to them Holy Spirit and show them the Way to You.

Amen and amen.

2011/12/5 11:08Profile
iceman9

New York

Coming across this was very timely! I thought it was worth bumping up again.

2011/12/5 13:07Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

It seems that is where I long to be the most. I love to go out and fellowship with other believers or to share Jesus with anyone the Lord brings my way but it seems like the Lord keeps calling me back to Himself - alone with Him. And it is there I find my best times. And if too busy, I find I am longing to get away and be with Him alone."

Amen sister!

I can really identify which what you are saying. I remember early on in my Christian life when the Lord's presence was so sweet and it seemed like worldy conversation would take me out of His presence. So one of my favorite things to do was to spend a good part of the day out in the woods in the presence of the Lord with my bible. I do appreciate the fellowship that we have with other believers, and we will never fulfill our calling unless we are related to the Body of Christ. However, business in ministry is no substitute to sitting at the feet of Jesus in His presence. Our ministry to others will only be fruitful to the degree that we first minister to the Lord.

Mike

2011/12/5 14:43Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

I know what you are talking about and I am glad a few others know it, too. One the other hand I can recall fellowship on rare occasions with some of these saints where Christ was right in the midst of us. I rather feed on these breadcrumbs from eternity than sit in a banquet with mockers.
It reminds me of

Hebrews 11
36And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
37They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;
38(Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
39And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
40God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

2011/12/5 17:02Profile
mama27

Re:

I think many of us here can relate to this post - that is what makes the bond on SI so precious. In my experience, people who are following hard after God are few and far between.

2011/12/5 17:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy