SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Light of the World and the darkness there of

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Logic

Light of the World and the darkness there of

Light of the World and the darkness there of
By Darin Edgington
2Pe 3:5-8 “for this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water :6 whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: : 7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.” :8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”

Here, Peter made statements about the time before Noah and the flood to about the time when He wrote the Epistle. The first statement would be of the time from creation to the time of Noah and the flood in verse 5 & 6, which is two thousand years or two days according to Peter.

Verse 7 tells of the time from Noah and the flood to the time that He wrote the Epistle, We can see this by the words “which are now”. Therefore has been over four thousand years from creation to then, in other words, he is writing from with in the fifth day. At this present time, there has been about two thousand years from the time that Peter wrote his Epistle until now. When we count the days from Adam to Noah, there have been two thousand years, or two days. When we count the days from Noah to the time when Jesus came into the World for His Earthly Ministry there have been two more thousand years, or two more days.

Finally, from the time of Jesus in His Earthly Ministry until now would be two thousand more years or two days. All in all this adds to 6 days.
Nevertheless, all I am trying to do here is validate the fourth day of the creation account of the sun and moon as being good examples for the sun representing Jesus and the Moon representing His Church. Now let’s look at the creation account for this analogy.

Gen 1:14-19 “And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: :15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.: 16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: He made the stars also" : 17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth. : 18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good. : 19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.”

The fourth day according to Peter or in the four thousandth year from the beginning of creation is also the time that Jesus came to Earth in the flesh and started His Church. When the Father received Jesus to His right hand, He then gave us the duty of working the works of the Father who sent Jesus.

Note: I am not saying that Creation took four thousand years.
The question then comes as; what was the light before the time of Christ. I will say that it was the Law as we read in the following verses.
Proverbs 6:23 “for the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:”

Psalm 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
Psalm 119:130 “the entrance of thy words gives light; it gives understanding unto the simple.”

We would already know that Jesus is the Law because He is the Word as read in John 1:1. Therefore, The World had the Light through the Law or their moral conscience before Jesus, as read in Rom 2:14, 15.

Now, you might ask, why did the Law have to come first and not bring the Messiah to save humanity right away? Well, as it is written:
Galatians 3:24 “wherefore the Law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.”

When Jesus came into the world, He claimed:

Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

So now, we still have the Light in the world, but it is in a form that we ,as sinful man, can receive.

John 8:12 “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

This darkness that He spoke of is a metaphor used for ignorance of the Law and of divine things and its associated wickedness, condemnation and the resultant misery in hell. The “Light of life” in us would be the Law written on our hearts.

Prov. 13:14 “The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.”
Jeremiah 31:33 "But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people."
Psalms 37:31 "The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide."
Psalms 40:8 "I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart."

Now that we know, the Law is the Light before Jesus and He is the light of the world when He came to Earth. As He is at the right hand of His Father, He appoints His Church to be the light of the world for this present time.

Matthew 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. :15 neither do men light a candle, and put it under a basket , but on a candlestick; and it gives light unto all that are in the house. :16 let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Jesus tells us this right after He said in a few verses before it in Matthew 5:10, 11 "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."11: "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake."

Therefore, this light that Jesus is talking about is our attitude and our reactions to this world when it comes against us in persecution. The correct responses are to contrast those of what the world might expect from such persecutions. When the world sees this contrast of ours' to theirs, the world will then notice our good works. These good works are not what they would expect as a response to what they have done to us. These good works are how we conduct ourselves in employment and of business, or in that which any one is occupied. It also could be an act, or a deed, or the fruit of righteousness. In other words, a different way of life, a Christ centered view on life, and Godly motives for everything that we do and think. The idea of good works is emphasized in us for the world to see Christ in us. Here again, we see the Church reflecting Christ as the Moon reflects the Sun.

John 11:9, 10 "Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbles not, because he sees the light of this world. : 10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbles, because there is no light in him."

The last few words in verse 10 explains the statement of the night, as light not being "in him". Therefore, walking in the night is a matter of not having the light in you.

John 12:35, 36 "Then Jesus said unto them, yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walks in darkness knows not whither he goes. : 36 "While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them."

In addition,

Pro 4:19 “the way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.”

Jesus is saying here that He is the light and if you cease to walk or to make due use of the opportunity of having the light shown to you, the judgment of darkness will come upon you.

John 3:18 "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. :19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."

As we, the Church or as individuals, reflect the Light of Jesus as the Moon reflects the Sun; the world should have no excuse for rejecting Christ as Lord and Savior.

The light can also be explained in the verse below.

Matthew 6:22, 23 "The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.: 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!"

The Eye could be translated as "view" and this darkness could also mean "obscurity".
This eye that we read of here is the view we have of the truth and how we view the world. Truth is light because as light reveals character so does the Law. Jesus is presenting here an analysis of ones view of reality and there apparent value system. The world is either bent on religion or the obliteration of it, and all have there opinion of what is good and just. Nevertheless, the truth is what we read in the verses below.

Psalms 119:142 "Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth."
John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Therefore, when someone actually thinks that a lie, or “The Lie” is Truth as the verse above in Matthew 6:23, the term "the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!" shows the extremity of that darkness. Nevertheless, we have an admonition in this verse below.

2Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shines in a dark place, until the Day Dawn, and the Day Star arise in your hearts:"

So now, darkness can be either lawlessness or false religion and being Light is not a passive state of being. We have an obligation in all our shinning. Note in Verse 8 below, the word “walk” can be translated as “to be occupied with”.

Ephesians 5:8, 10-14 for ye were sometimes darkness, but now are you light in the Lord: walk as children of light: and 10 proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. : 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. : 12 for it is a shame even to speak of those things that are done of them in secret. : 13 but all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. : 14 wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleep, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light."

It is saying here that we are to be a contrast to the world. We cannot do this if we are sleeping, passively walking out our Christian life, even to the point that our works are dead as in V: 14, which are destitute persuasiveness of impact or power, or all together inactive, and inoperative. Nevertheless, if we ignore the divine truth as the sun gives light to men to be aroused from sleep or even death from the condemnation of darkness, we are with out excuse. If there is no difference between your works and the worlds’, are you then being light?

Romans 13:11,12 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. : 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor (weapon) of light."

1Thes. 5:7, 8 for they that sleep, sleep in the night and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. : 8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for a helmet, the hope of salvation."

If we are only active in Church or in Christian events and associations, and not giving ourselves to prayer and exposing that which is darkness, which would come naturally to us as being light, we are not actually shining in this world (“how great is that darkness!"). We then are only conforming to the world and therefore to the darkness and deceiving ourselves.

I want to encourage you, the reader to excel in all you do as you are in Christ.
Proverbs 4:18 but the path of the just is as the shining light, that shines more and more unto the perfect day.
Ephesians 6:18 "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;"
Acts 6:4 "But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word."
Romans 12:12 "Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;"
Colossians 4:2 "Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;"
1Thessalonians 5:17 "Pray without ceasing."
James 5:16 "... The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."
1Peter 4:7 "But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer."
Jude 1:20 "But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,"

2006/2/13 22:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy