SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : True Salvation?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Ignitemysoul

Appleton

True Salvation?

On a recent message that I heard on SI the speaker mentioned their is over 400 doctrines in the US. No wonder I am having a real difficult time getting a clear idea of what does God require to be a true follower of his.

The "ask Jesus into your heart" routine that most pastors that I have ever met use does not work and is not efficient. I know this by personal experience. My answer is to truely repent, turn from anything God calls sin, and accept Christ as your savior and lord (Most do not understand this part) be obiedient to God and yeild to him with all of your being.

For me when I did repent God did first stir my heart about "once saved always saved" Then after about a week or two of being miserable he let me know with out a doubt that I was indeed not following him! Up to this point I looked like most people who go to church and call them selves christians! When I repented out of a Godly sorrow for offending the almighty God with my sin I would not even repent until I was convinced that I wasn't seeking God due to all of the many ways that he can bless me. I wanted to know him because he is worthy, more than worthy. The fact that God would want anything to do with me a "wretched sinner" is mind boggling! I asked God to tear from me everything and anything that he would deem sinful, no matter what the result or cost this action may be. And by Gods grace I ment that and still do! I asked him to take my sin as far as the east is from the west and to ingite my soul with that of his own! To also seal this conviction to follow him permantly! Well all I now is that if you can sincerely ask God something like that, it will get his attention. I have not been the same creature since then and over the last six years I keep being changed from image to image being conformed into his likeness. So I have no doubt that I am saved and more importantly I think God would agree with that as well.

Some like andrew storm say the bible teaches that you along with repenting, need to be baptised, and have evidence of tounges! I was baptised as an infant and when I was twenty! This was before I feel I was saved. The above experience happened when I was thirty.

I have a huge burden to let people know what it really means to know and follow our lord, but I must be 100% accurate in what I am telling others since I will have to answer to God for any word that comes out of my mouth. All of this to ask two huge questions?

1. What does God really require to be saved and not just by the skin of your teeth either, so to speak.

2. What about OSAS? Once saved always saved still does not sit well with me.

Many say those people were never saved in the first place. Also I can not imagine me backsliding either. I detest sin and as time goes on this hatred gets stronger and not weaker. The point of being saved is not for my benefit but for Gods glory! What about working out your salvation with fear and trembling? For those who belive OSAS what is the point of sanctification!

If you fell that your thoughts on this subject would matchup with Gods the by all means respond. These questions I must know the proper answer too!

2006/2/13 14:55Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re: True Salvation?

1. I think it is precisely what you said. Having the attitude that "God, I want to do anything you say, and I give all to you, because you are the only one worthy enough and wise enough to run my life. I trust you with everything I have and all that I am... I surrender it all to you" This is what it means to "believe on the Lord Jesus". The bible is very clear that it is by faith that we are saved. It is also very clear that that faith is inseparable from works. This is because you cant separate trust with obedience! If you say you trust someone, and do the opposite of what they say, you prove by your actions that you dont believe in them. Being saved is giving your life and everything you have to God because you believe in Him, because you trust Him with all that you have. True faith, repentance and works are totally inseparable. You can have a false works that arent done out of faith, and this is religion. And you can have a false faith that doesnt include works, and this is Antinomianism.

2. I believe when you put them in context these sciptures are more than clear and speak for themselves.

Colossians 1:21-23 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: [u][b]If[/b] ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel[/u], which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister

2 Timothy 2:11-13 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Hebrews 10:24-31 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Hebrews 12:12-17 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; [u]Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.[/u]

Romans 11:20-22 Well; because of unbelief they [the jews] were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

John 15:1-6 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

2006/2/13 16:41Profile
ServantofGod

Re:

Thanks for your post. I sometimes struggle with “once saved, always saved”. Just today I felt discouraged, but I often remind myself that salvation is not based on “feeling saved”; even though we like “feeling saved”. I am reminded of a passage that states that salvation is “in His Son”:

1 John 5:11 -12 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

The fact that I can only get to heaven by His grace, makes me want to live for Him! Nothing good of my own can earn me salvation. I work because He has saved me by his grace:

Acts 15:11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are."

You stated: “..What about OSAS? Once saved always saved still does not sit well with me.” I hope you don’t have your mind made up. It’s not what sits well with us, but what God says in His Word. If you and I disagree on His word, then we can walk away respectfully disagreeing with each other. After all, who can fault us for turning to God’s word for answers? I think few Christians agree 100% on everything. It’s who we believe in that really matters!

In the love of Jesus Christ

2006/2/13 19:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy