Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Bible with no chapters or verses

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
markso

Horsham, Australia

A Bible with no chapters or verses

This is going to seem like a bizarre sort of question (but there is method in my madness). I am looking for a bible that has no chapter or verse divisions. Preferably a KJV or NASB. Does anyone know of such a version?

2003/12/16 2:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: A Bible with no chapters or verses

Markso
I have heard that there is a NIV version which has no verse divisions. I am making enquiries.

2003/12/16 5:57Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This is going to seem like a bizarre sort of question (but there is method in my madness).

Its not to mad! All the bibles throughout history never had any chapters or verses until I think the 1500's? And also the greek new testament doesn't have too many paragraph breaks in it, so the epistle to the esphesians could appear to be one long paragraph in greek. :-P

2003/12/16 10:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Markso
I have been making enquiries but to no avail. I can think, however, of a work-around. Do you know the Online Bible (free) You can get lots of different translation modules to go with it; some you have to pay for, but most are free. The Online Bible has an option for the text to be in 'paragraph style'. This will put any version into blocks rather than individual verses. You still have the numbers showing where the verses begin, but it is a big help to reading paragraphs to capture the flow of the scripture. Just a word of warning that the paragraphs are no more inspired than the verse divisions. If you need any help on doing it, please let me know.

2004/1/3 5:50Profile

Is there a difference in reading a bible without the verse and chapter separations? Is it more like reading a book?

Maybe it helps you concentrate more if you aren't looking to quote?

2004/1/3 23:42
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Pammy
There is an old story that the first person to put the Bible into chapters and verses did the job on horseback. Whenever the horse stumbled he started a new verse, and whenever he fell off he started a new chapter. It's not true of course but occasionally the chapter divisions are so badly placed that you would whether the old story about the man on horseback had some truth in it. :-P

Yes, it can capture the flow of a passage better if you read right past the chapter endings. Whenever possible it is best to read an epistle at one sitting. When did you last receive a letter and read 20 sentences today and put away the rest for another day?

However, as a road map the chapters and verse divisions can provide a useful purpose.

2004/1/4 4:38Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
However, as a road map the chapters and verse divisions can provide a useful purpose.

And one of the main useful purposes of the chapters and verses is that we can reference to a specific sentance quite easily in the bible.

2004/1/4 13:54Profile
Seymour

UK

I have been on a similar quest and am very surprised to find such a Bible is not readily available. I have worked with downloaded bible texts and stripped out all the verse and chapter divisions using a word macro but I still long for a Bible I can take on the train and read like a book.

In a previous age I believe there were such "Paragraph Bibles" published, notably by the Cambridge Press, but they never caught on.

I am getting to the point of arranging for a small number to be printed out of my own pocket using a version in the public domain such as the KJV or World English Bible. I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere with this idea.

In the meantime I believe that the Geneva Bible and Tyndale were originally printed without the divisions and some of these are being re-issued in their original form for scholarly purposes.

2004/11/29 7:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Tyndale was certainly originally printed in paragraphs rather than verses. The Geneva bible was the first version to be printed in roman type, and the first in which the division of the text into numbered verses (originally made by Robert Stephanus for his Greaco-Latin Bible of 1551) was introduced.

When Bullinger created the Companion Bible he lamented the fact that there was no consistency among paragraphed translations and so produced another one!

2004/11/29 8:02Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
When Bullinger created the Companion Bible he lamented the fact that there was no consistency among paragraphed translations and so produced another one!

Yes I appreciate the way that bullinger seperates the paragraphs and sentances so you can easily identitfy new trains of thoughts in the scripture. I think it was george fox that never quoted from a book just shared the scripture in speeches or writings. Its funny that most of what he shared was scripture and people didn't even know it half the time, but were captivated.

2004/11/29 10:37Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy