SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What does it mean to be a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: in a single verse

In a single verse?
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

A Christian is a 'no-longer I but Christ living in me' person

2003/12/15 11:30Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

A babe in Christ is one who struggles with the old man. He may live in the House for awhile. If he learns to obey the commands of Jesus in his daily life his heart will cry out abba Father. If he chooses to remain in subjection to the flesh he will be thrown out of the house. That is what faith is all about, saying, "Yes Lord." "My sheep know my voice."
To know God's will for us is what saves us. Salvation is revelation.

in Christ
Jeff

2003/12/15 15:59Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Quote:
A Christian is a 'no-longer I but Christ living in me' person

Most wonderful! The simpler- the better. So basic, so simple- yet so true.

In His perfect love, Chanin

2003/12/15 16:42Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I like Keith Green's definition of a christian:

"Someone who is BANANAS for JESUS!"

:D

It is simple, but if the shoe fits...

2003/12/15 20:11Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

My definition of a "christian":

Someone who trades everything he is for all that He is.

A christian wants -- more than anything else -- to KNOW Him, and to be His friend.

He is willing to give up all that he was, all that he is, and all that he will ever be -- just to know Him, and to be His friend.

A christian is not worried about what he will lose, nor what he will gain.

He is concerned most of all with having a close and intimate relationship with the God of all Creation -- and to offer humble adoration and pure love to God.

His heart beats at the thought of spending time with Him; his heart bleeds when time has gone by without spending quality time with Him.

The greatest moments of a christian's life come when he spends time alone with the Lord.

He lives his life as a walking prayer -- considering the Lord in all circumstances.

He hates sin, because the Lord hates sin.

When his heart grows proud, he remembers that His heart is humble.

He cares for others because He cares for others.

He is offended when he believes that God is offended, but sincerely loves the offender.

With every decision he makes, he consults the Lord first.

His life revolves around the Lord (not just church), and he makes decisions accordingly.

He realizes that life is but a pilgrimage, and that it is fleeting in comparison with eternity.

His greatest desire is to PLEASE the Lord, and attempts to learn what pleases the Lord with every beat of his heart.

The Lord is first in his life -- and everything else is very distantly second.

He loves the Lord with all of his heart, mind, soul and strength.

He longs to know the heart of God -- and the more he knows, the more he realizes he doesn't know.

He longs to see the face of God. He knows that seeing God results in death -- but figures that this would be the best way to die (and then awaken in the presence of the Lord seeing Him forever)!

:)

2003/12/15 20:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Awfully momentous question! Your eternity depends upon the answer. 'He that hath the Son hath life, and he that hath not the Son hath not life.' Oh, what a simple thing the gospel is! How fearful to think it is hid from so many (2 Cor. 4:3-4)!
-Robert Murray McCheyne

Salvation is Christ not a list of verses. The scriptures point the way to the living Christ.

[b]John 5:39-40 (niv)[/b] - You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

2003/12/16 10:54Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Those who say, "Yes Lord."

2003/12/16 11:40Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Great definition!

2003/12/16 16:45Profile
riki

Sweden

Re:

I would just like to say THANKS :-) for some wonderful definitions. Some of them are really... Wow. I don't know how to put it. I can tell that more than one person has put his heart into this, trying to define what/how a Christian is. And that is exactly how it should be - it is a question of heart!

It is also interesting to see that according to the definitions I like best, it seems like I am saved, baptized and speaking in tounges, but not a Christian... THAT is provocating, but nevertheless well needed. I do believe that I am still in the House, though, by the grace of God. As lyndon put it, "a work in progress". ;-)

2003/12/16 18:26Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: George Foreman Lean Machine

I had another take on this thread today. I watched an advert for the George Foreman Lean Machine. It's a kind of low fat steak fryer. At the end of the advert he looked into the camera and said 'Ah'm so proud of it, ah put ma name on it'.

It immediately spoke to my heart. He is willing to be identified with His people. It's nothing that we have added, but He has invested so much in us, that it is as though he says (please excuse the accent)

"ahm so proud of what I am doing in these people ah've put ma Name on them" :-P

2003/12/19 12:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy