Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Lord's Supper

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

The Lord's Supper

I found it interesting that yesterday Jake posted a question about baptism. I had been thinking of asking for people's thoughts on communion/the Lord's supper/breaking of bread.

How often do you practice it?
How do you prcatice it?
Do you practice it? ;-)
And if so, do you find it meanigfull and in what way?

I was going to put this in the debates forum but on recollection I am not interested in debating it per se, but I would be interested to hear my brothers' and sister's insights concerning the matter.

Thanks, Stuart.

2003/12/13 20:09Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: The Lord's Supper

After reading [i]The Cup and The Fire[/i] by T.A. Sparks I have a much deeper sense of awe, purpose, and prayerfullness in communion. Sparks deals wonderfully with the Lord's side of the cup and with our side as well, something I hadn't given much thought to when taking communion before.

The church I attend (A Calvary Chapel) offers communion every week on both Wednesday and Sunday nights. Most times it is done all together as a congregation, but sometimes the cup and bread will just be put on tables and we will get them individually and then break off into family groups or with friends and pray and partake that way, I enjoy this very much.

In Christ,

Ron

2003/12/13 21:38Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

I believe that like baptism, the Lord's Supper has become an empty ritual to so many. They simply do it because it's "in the Book" with little appreciation as to why. Don't get me wrong it's good to do what's in the Book regardless of our level of understanding, we can simply go on our Saviour's word. But yet I believe that such practices as baptism and the Lord's Supper are there to increase our understanding, not to veil God's revelation in mystery.

I appreciate what you said Ron, about breaking off into family groups. In too many places the communion service is so individualistic. We are all together in one place alright, but each person takes the bread and wine on his own contemplating his own life and the Saviour's death for him. I think that misses the whole point, it is essentialy a corporate event.

How important was it to the early christians? In Acts 20:7 it says;[i] And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together [u]to break bread[/u][/i]

And in 1 Cor 11:33 we read;[i] when ye come together [u]to eat[/u][/i]

The death of the Lord unites us as one body, his return unites us in one hope. The table of the Lord is a place where the whole body is represented.The already divided Corinthians were manifesting thier divisions at the place which God had ordained to declare their unity.

2003/12/15 5:53Profile
Malachi

UK

Re:

I have found that I got a greater understanding of the communion service when as a church we held a passover meal with a messianic jewish flavour with a communion at the end of it. This is indeed a family affair, and the meaning of the ritual acts in it have a power that you have to experience.

In particularly I remember the Afikomen, the broken piece of flat bread (matzos), which is wrapped and hidden for the children to find later - this is the body of Christ. I recommend that anyone who would like to understand the communion better take part in such an agape meal. There is a description with helpful notes at the back of Michelle Guinness' book 'A Little Kosher Seasoning'

I also believe that the translation 'do this in remembrance of me' as a command of Jesus seems to be just between me and him and is a little trite.

The greek word 'anamnesis' is better translated as the words on the cenotaph - LEST WE FORGET

I need to remind myself regularly what Jesus did for me and for us all, and reconsider my poor response.

2003/12/17 15:01Profile

Stuart:

One of the things I like best about my church is how we do the Lord's Supper. Unlike some of the other somewhat more 'religous' churches in our area, we practice the Lord's supper about 6 times a year. This way, when we do practice it, the ritual has more of a special meaning, and it truly does remind you of what Christ has done and the sacrifices He made.

I kinda like walking up to recieve the bread and wine (or whatever) better than passing through the rows. It takes more time out of the church service, but when I get up to do so I feel like I am making it more of a point to really concentrate on what I'm doing.

Some churches that I have been to make it a point to mention that unless Christ is in your heart you should NOT practice communion because it is so special to Christians. I agree--it upsets me to see a non-Christian take the bread and wine that I consider so special and sacred. Yet, some people don't know what it means to be a Christian, and furthermore, maybe the experience with the Lords Supper will bring them closer to Christ.

This is an interesting topic, I'd like to hear what others have to say..?

2003/12/27 22:14
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

When I visited Toronto for a week, I had the opportunity to visit a church called "[url=http://www.freedomize.com]Freedomize[/url]"...it's the church that Jen (tigger), Greg's (wrtbook's) sister is a member at. It's a church composed mostly of youth, and they don't have their own building -- they rent an Anglican church's building Sunday nights and have Bible studies for members only at home cell groups. Super-sincere...and there, I had the best communion ever.
The church was dark -- it was night -- and apparently they choose to take communion weekly. No row-by-row organization or mumbo jumbo. Pray where you're at, and when you're ready, stand and walk to the alter, where there is a table with two plates on either side of a bowl of...grape juice, I think? It wasn't sweet or sugary, but it wasn't alcoholic either. On the plates are two whole loafs of bread, where you literally break off a piece, dip it in the bowl, and really meditate on the Lord before the communion table. People were patient -- gave time to pray without pushing to keep the line moving. Going back to your seat, the church was quiet and you just really had time to meditate on His death -- and resurrection -- and what an incredible impact it's had on my life, and how incredibly grateful I am for Him and His unselfish sacrfice.
My usual churches do the pass-around-the-plate-of-crunchy-wafers-and-little-juice-cups thing. I think it's done four or six times a year.
And I agree with Pam (Pammy) completely -- drives me crazy when nonbelievers take part in the Supper. Not cool -- I wish pastors would really emphasize that more frequently. My pastor in Tallahassee does, and reminds us it isn't breakfast for those who missed their morning meal, but something so much more.
When first studying the supper, I wondered if Christ mean "do this in remembrance of me" in terms of everytime we eat a meal. I still wonder that every now and then -- so I'll stop rambling and ask, anyone ever heard of that? Are there any believers who think Christ meant remember Him in that fashion everytime we eat?

2003/12/28 13:48Profile
moreofHim

Re:

What an awsome way to have communion! (At Freedomize) I truly wish many churches would drop tradition and listen for the Lord's direction as how to do things. People are missing out on so much intimacy with the Lord because of traditions that Christians wont let go of.

Thanks for sharing, Mary.

In Him, Chanin

2003/12/28 14:04Profile

Re:

How interesting... everytime I eat bread plain, and I mean right-out-of-the-package-with-nothing-on-it bread I remember Christ and the Lords Supper.

Christ says 'Do this in rememberance of me'. I'm not sure if the church peoples back in the day just decided to create the Lord's Supper as a way to do it consistently and not to forget that Christ wanted us to do this. I mean, as far as I know there's no where in the bible where it says "practice the Lord's Supper every week with bread and wine so you don't forget". I think someone just created it.

So....I remember Christ when I eat normally.

2003/12/28 19:35
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Christ says 'Do this in rememberance of me'. I'm not sure if the church peoples back in the day just decided to create the Lord's Supper as a way to do it consistently and not to forget that Christ wanted us to do this. I mean, as far as I know there's no where in the bible where it says "practice the Lord's Supper every week with bread and wine so you don't forget". I think someone just created it.

Great insight Pammy, I think its pretty clear from Scriptures i) that the early church practised the Lords supper every meal, and also ii) they practised the presence of Jesus Christ everytime they met.

i) 'breaking of bread'
[b]Acts 2:42 (niv)[/b] - They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

[b]Acts 2:46 (niv)[/b] - Everyday they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,

ii) presence of Christ
[b]1 Corinthians 5:4 (niv)[/b] - When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present.

[b]Acts 1:14a (niv)[/b] - They all joined together constantly in prayer...

2003/12/28 22:45Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re:

Quote:
How interesting... everytime I eat bread plain, and I mean right-out-of-the-package-with-nothing-on-it bread I remember Christ and the Lords Supper.

I agree, to a point. I certainly don't think of any sacradoetal, liturgical, ceremony, when I think of "communion". Generaly the believers that I meet with have a meal together, the bread and wine are part of the meal, on the table with all the other food. Christ's life in us isn't somthing tucked away in a corner it is part of our everyday life, that's what I think of when I see the bread and wine on the table in the middle of all the potatoes, salads and meats.

I believe that this was the central focus of the early church meetings. Getting together to enjoy fellowship with one another, eat together and remember that it is our Lord's death that unites us.

Eating alone and inwardly remebering the Lord's death (while there is nothing wrong with it) doesn't really "show forth his death until he comes"

Stuart

2003/12/29 7:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy