SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : fallow ground

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Shoshanna

fallow ground

Hi I'm new. I just read something by finney about breaking up fallow ground. How is this done? Especially when Finney also seems to say that you cannot force the right feelings to come.

2006/2/6 12:03Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: fallow ground

Hello Shoshanna and welcome to SI.

I assume you are refering to the Finney sermon titled 'How to Promote a Revival' which is lecture #3 in his series titled Lectures on Revival. In this sermon he talks in detail about how "breaking up your fallow ground" is done.

This is a very challenging message and one that had tremendous impact on me. I would suggest that you follow Finney's advice in the following paragraph from that message...

[i]Self-examination consists in looking at your lives, in considering your actions, in calling up the past, and learning its true character. Look back over your past history. Take up your individual sins one by one, and look at them. I do not mean that you should just cast a glance at your past life, and see that it has been full of sins, and then go to God and make a sort of general confession, and ask for pardon. That is not the way. You must take them up one by one. It will be a good thing to take a pen and paper, as you go over them, and write them down as they occur to you. Go over them as carefully as a merchant goes over his books; and as often as a sin comes before your memory, add it to the list. General confessions of sin will never do. Your sins were committed one by one; and as far as you can come at them, they ought to be reviewed and repented of one by one.[/i]

Make a list of things and like he says, be very thorough. This isn't some kind of punitive measure so that we might feel bad about ourselves but, it is a honest searching of our hearts to allow God to do some cleansing. When you look at the list of things you have done in black and white, it is very humbling and brings deep thanksgiving for the wonderful mercy, grace, and patience of our Lord, it also drives unforgiveness out of your heart when you see just how much you have been forgiven.

For me, one thing this brought about was the conviction that I needed to make some past wrongs right with others. If you take this word seriously God will bring about change, it will be inconvenient and uncomfortable, but it will produce fruit.

By the way, you can listen to a reading of these lectures which were recorded by one of our own here on SI, Robert Wurtz. Here is a link to the recording of [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4106]How to Promote a Revival[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2006/2/6 12:36Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

The Holy Spirit uses the law of God to break the hard hearts of sinners and to awaken their consciences. They see their deep sin and their guilt before God, and therefore also see their need of repentance and forgiveness. The Holy Spirit is the one that does the convicting, but He does this through the law.

2006/2/6 13:05Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Shoshanna,

Isn't that a great article? Finney said the feelings won't just come on their own, but by asking the Holy Spirit to convict us of our sins and by focusing on each of our transgressions individually we can begin the process. This is a daunting task but it must be done before we can expect to receive the word as it needed. Our hearts are so hardened by sin that they just won't produce good fruit until we do the work of digging up our fallow ground.

Murray

2006/2/6 14:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy