Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Night and day on my knees

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Christian

Washington DC

Night and day on my knees

Ravenhill said “Jesus is standing at the door of the church knocking, but quickly moves on”. When I first came to Washington DC I was disturbed over the modern music brought into the church. I had lived in western PA; all we had were old hymn books. In our home Dad always would tell us to turn off that junk (modern music). But that was over 10 years ago. We have now brought into the church multimedia. Tozer said “If you have the Bible and the Holy Spirit that is all you need.” The multimedia has introduced Mickey Mouse entertainment into the church. It’s good, it’s fun, its lively entertainment, but it not the best. The prescence of the Holy One of Israel is the best. E.M.Bounds said with entertainment prayer is unwelcome.

I find it almost impossible to pray in today’s churches, with all the noise who can think. Oh, how we are branded as negative if we complain. The old timers used to always complain about our youthful music, now they seem to love it. Why was it that the Quakers wouldn’t allow music? Tozer talked about people trying to project their personalities in the church, and the display of amateurism, people who couldn’t make it professionally.

I say that God is knocking at the church door and no one can hear it because of all the noise. The Holy One is now thundering at our nation and no one hears it. Jeremiah pleaded with Israel and Judah but none could hear. Surely Gods wrath is burning against our modern nations.

Ravenhill said “people don’t want revival because they are happy the way things are.” But if we continue to let Satan have his way he will show his true control of these nations and unleash a reign of terror that will bring the end of time.

Surely Beelzebub reigns here, what perversion, what lust, emptiness, loneliness. People walking about saying everything is well, yet walks in grave clothes on their way to hell. I see no spirituality at all. The Holy One is greatly withdrawn, his anger is very fierce. We need a fiery visitation form Jesus to save us from hell. “When are we going to get serious about being serious” Ravenhill.

Satan has taken over the church of the world with his legions. The spirituality of the church is absolutely gone. The multimedia music has stunningly brought Walt Disney entertainment in. But why not, people are so caught up in TV entertainment. I will not adhere to it, but give an emphatic NO! Oh how we must fight and pray! So many are going to hell! We must pray, rise early, get alone with God. Jesus’ honor is a stake; I will not dishonor him by prayerlessness. I will not be blinded but will look to Jesus at all cost.

I will worship the lord Jesus.
Night and day on my knees I will go.
Onward to victory,
In Christ Jesus our lord.

Night and day on my knees .
Night and day on my knees.

2003/12/13 7:29Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Night and day on my knees

Quote:
I find it almost impossible to pray in today’s churches, with all the noise who can think. Oh, how we are branded as negative if we complain.

Like ravenhill once prayed: Lord give us a holy dissatsifaction tonight.

Thank you brother for sharing your heart so openly and plainly, I am of one accord and spirit with you on this. Martin Luther said that before God chooses to do a big thing in His church He sets a people praying.

Quote:
So many are going to hell! We must pray, rise early, get alone with God. Jesus’ honor is a stake; I will not dishonor him by prayerlessness.

YES! this is life and death Christians, we need to get serious and realize what is happening all around us in the church and in the world. How fast this life is over, how well will you use it to glory the one who purchased it with His blood.

Is the way you are living today worth Christ dying for?
-Leonard Ravenhill

[b]Daniel 9:18-19 (niv)[/b] - Give ear, O God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the [u]city that bears your Name[/u]. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. Oh Lord, listen! Oh Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and [u]your people bear your Name[/u].

It is a great thing to be a Christian. The very name is a noble one, beyond all the noble names of earth. The thing itself is inconceivably blessed and glorious. To say, 'I am a Christian,' is to say, 'I belong to God's nobility; I am of the peerage of heaven.'
Much, then, is expected of you. Do not disgrace the old family name. Do nothing unworthy of Him who represents you in heaven, and whom you represent on earth. He is faithful to you; be you so to Him. Let men know what a Lord and Master you serve. Be His witnesses; be His mirrors; be His living epistles. Let Him speak through you to the world. Let your life tell your fellow-men what He is, and what He is to you. Speak well of Him to men, as He speaks well of you to God. He has honoured you by giving you His name; He has blessed you by conferring on you sonship, and royalty, and an eternal heritage: see that you do justice to His love, and magnify His greatness.
-Horatious Bonar (from follow the lamb introduction).

2003/12/13 11:09Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

I was spending a time of meditation on reading Luke chapters 1 + 2 and something intresting the Lord showed me.

[b]Luke 1:53 (niv)[/b] - He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.

When coming to God in prayer, worship, and reading the scriptures what mentality do we have? Are we hungry to know more and experience more of God or are we complacent and rich in our spiritual life?

[b]Revelation 3:20 (niv)[/b] - You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

[b]Matthew 5:6 (niv)[/b] - Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

2003/12/14 23:21Profile
Christian

Washington DC

Ravenhill
Jeremiah.mp3
What a messessage for America today. I just cant get enough of L.Ravenhill. Ravenhill is confirming what God has been saying to me for 20 years.

2003/12/15 14:33Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

When I first came to Washington DC I was disturbed over the modern music brought into the church.

Ravenhill frequently refered to the guitar as a back-slidden harp.

2003/12/15 15:16Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Lets be honest brothers and sisters in our day the solution is not to be more doctrinally sound in our churches. I am tired with spending my energies and time fighting in churches and fellowships over small doctrinal differences. The churches overall are backslidden, how much of a difference are we making in society, in our cities, how much of an impact is your life having in this world. The group of 150 disciples turned the world upside down, or at aleast a city, couldn't it be the same for us. We need to be God consumed people, we all need God more in our life's. This is the dire need of the day, how much are you willing to sacrifice, is the life you are living now worth Christ dying for? We need revival will it begin with you?

Once we have our eyes off God it doesnt matter how much we read the bible we will not get it right. Lets just keep our eyes fixed on Jesus the author and finisher of our faith, and allow Him to guide our doctrines of the Church.

2003/12/16 10:04Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Brother Christian,

Thanks for the heads up. Been listening to the Revival series and I got to tell you, if we don't have a revival soon I think I am going to die of a crushed spirit.

I haven't been at this as long as yourself,(about a 1/4) and had never even heard of Leonard Ravenhill prior to coming here. At first I thought he was rather 'harsh' and reading WRT was difficult for me at the first.

Oh, but now! I truly see and feel the agony of that righteous man's heart.
If he were alive today....

It's odd to hear him talking of the spiritual bankruptcy that was prevailing then, the Vietnam era, Cambodia, Communisim, Carter and how relevant it sounds today, yet even worse. All I can think of as I listen is "Oh, if he knew what was happening now."

Harsh? Goodness, not harsh enough. There is not enough superlatives to describe the state of this present generation in and out of Christianity.
Blindness. Materialism. Greed. Health/Wealth/Prosperity/...
Grim.

All this 'tolerance' language, expanding the borders of what constitutes "sin". What utter nonsense is being feed to the masses.
Lie's from the pit of hell.

No sense in going on and on, Ravenhill was right, and for his sake I am glad the Lord spared him the agony he would have endured to see this day.

We need a prophet like him even more so now.
But who would listen? Seriously.
A few? Could the churches stand to hear a message of repentence, judgement, wrath, hell?
Surrender?

It's a 2 Tim 3 world and I fear what the grieving heart of God, when that dam breaks...
Have mercy on us Lord.
Save us from ourselves.

2003/12/16 11:32Profile
Christian

Washington DC

Re: Truth: we are lost

“People don’t want revival because they are happy the way things are” Ravenhill. We see our life as fun, comfortable and have need of nothing. But we are going to hell like sheep to the slaughter. There is not spirituality, not conviction of sin, no fear of Judgment. Oh, how foolish we are, how stupid and ignorant. “You don’t pray, you don’t read your bible, and you know nothing of worship” Ravenhill. Does this sound negative, true, but it is factual. Truth: we are lost, only a revival and revolution can save us. Lord, send a prophet to convict the world with the power of the Holy Spirit.

I wrote this just before reading this. The Holy Spirit never contradicts himself. This is the best I have seen posted yet! a heart felt cry!

Quote:

Harsh? Goodness, not harsh enough. There is not enough superlatives to describe the state of this present generation in and out of Christianity.
Blindness. Materialism. Greed. Health/Wealth/Prosperity/...
Grim

I came to this site looking for Tozer audio files, for my Dad and I have read almost all published works on Tozer. When I saw Ravenhill, who I knew published works by our favorite author “A Treasury of Prayer” the best of E.M.Bounds”, it took about 1 second to knock me on my knees. My mentor (Dad) read “Why Revival Tarries” in a day and the fear of God was upon him. We have both been on fire for several months now since hearing L.Ravenhill.

2003/12/17 4:30Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
I came to this site looking for Tozer audio files

Same here, believe I was alerted to the fact through a newsletter I get.
I thank God for Greg starting and continuing this site, he has poured out his time, energy and money to make this happen. Not to mention his heart.
Sometimes the truth hurts, but I was so glad to finally be able to hear it, here.

Quote:
My mentor (Dad) read “Why Revival Tarries” in a day and the fear of God was upon him. We have both been on fire for several months now since hearing L.Ravenhill.

Your mentor is your Dad. What an awesome statement that is!
After reading your mention of the Jeremiah sermon yesterday and finishing my reply, I went and turned to Jeremiah, starting in Ch.1. I don't know how to adequately put this, and not to take it of context but when I got to verse 16 ;

"I will utter My judgements
Against them concerning all their wickedness,
Because they have forsaken Me,
Burned incense to other gods,
And worshiped the works of their own hands."

I was struck with fear, fear of the wrath of a Holy God...I can't explain, I just cried, it caused me to back away from my Bible in sheer terror....I am fumbling for words here...I understand God's grace, mercy and love in a limited fashion. But it was like I was given just a glimpse, a revelation of His wrath, judgement, justice.

Holy fear.
"With fear and trembling"

Revelation 7:15
"And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, and said to the mountains and rocks,[i][color=000000]"Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?"[/color][/i]

"When are we going to get serious about being serious?"
Leonard Ravenhill

2003/12/17 12:08Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
“You don’t pray, you don’t read your bible, and you know nothing of worship” Ravenhill.

Something's missing.
I can't shake the thought from my...being.
Actually not something, but [i][color=000000]Someone[/color][/i].

From the church's.
From His children, not all, but far to many.
From me.

A cry from David Wilkerson run's constantly through my mind and heart.

"Lord, if you don't help me..."

Then I came across this, this morning.

"Everywhere I travel, I keep hearing the defensive teaching that fervent, heartfelt prayer is really overrated and not necessary today. Since God is love, some people reason, we just have to ask once and politely for what we need and everything will turn out fine. No need today for prayer meetings and prolonged times of waiting on the Lord, no sir. No need for anyone to persevere in prayer until the answer comes. No, that's part of an-old-fashioned, out-of-date theology that belongs to another era."

Jim Cymbala in "Breakthrough Prayer"

Overrated?
This admission is startling.
Is it any wonder, why, we are lifeless, lukewarm, dying.....content? Content with the way thing's are?

What used to come so easily, prolonged times of quiet waiting on the Lord, being lost in prayer and worship has become a fierce battle for me.
The usual suspect's, but primarily a lack of discipline. A principle behind a quote from Joni Erickson Tada comes to mind: "Part of my Christian growth is grabbing my thoughts by the scruffs of their necks and jerking them in line."

Lord, teach us to pray.
Without ceasing.
Give us the stamina to persevere.
To wrestle until you bless us.
Send the Holy Spirit into our midst.
We are lost, poor and blind.
We are acomplishing nothing without You.
Let us travail in prayer.
Put my thought's into a straight jacket, so I can hear You speak.

Let this year be dedicated to prayer.
Let it be the first and foremost thought before us.
Kill me if You must, but deliever Your people.

"Lord, if You don't help ...[i][color=000000]us![/color][/i]

2004/1/1 12:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy