SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : United Methodist church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Ignitemysoul

Appleton

United Methodist church

Does anyone know much about the united methodist church. I grew up catholic then for the last 11 years my wife and I have gone to the type of church she grew up in, the Assemblies of God. We are considering changing denominations but need to know more about this one. Anyone help would be great!

2006/2/1 16:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: United Methodist church

Ignite,

It is very difficult from my part of the globe to tell you what your local UNC stands for. However, I suggest you go to Christianity Today's website: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ctmag/ and type in "United Methodist Church" and see what they can tell you about it. Better yet, make a list of the theological points you believe cannot be compromised, and find their pastor and ask him what they believe concerning these points. In the meantime, you pray deligently. If you sense a reluctance in your spirit, listen to it. The Lord is more interested in this matter then you are.

Obviously, I have my opinion, but I think this is something you need to check out yourself.

ginnyrose

2006/2/1 17:04Profile

Re:

I used to be a 'church hopper'.

I've been baptist, non-denomination, catholic, inter-denominational. And PERSONALLY (might not be for you) settled with a local vineyard. I call it home. It's the first church that loved ya and weren't hypocrites.

I don't invite people to my church despite my wonderful feeling about my church, because it isn't for everyone. Just like AoG (Assembly of God) isn't for everyone. Likewise, Baptist.

I encourage you and your wife to press into God and seek His face on the matter. Only His answer will do. I can't say a 'vineyard is for you' because I don't know what you need, God does though.

But to answer your original question. UMC. I have great relationship with a Senior Pastor of a UMC, I'm 'extremly' close to this guy. We could be considered like almost brothers. (He is the older one of course)

And from my relationship with him, my oberservance of how they work over the past year is this:

They are extremly organized. That's a wonderful characteristic.

They have ALOT of need of help. (The church would be considered by me and the pastor, as a 'dying church') Because they are an old congregation. Not really prayerful. Most of them cator to the elderly people.

BUT the best part of all of it, they are TRYING. The UMC's in my area now have a reputation to have concerts of 'big bands'. Which shows something about they understanding on 'how things look'.

The church is sick, at least in my area.

I say this as a diagonoises. Not as a critic. Because numerous UMC's in my area confirm this.

So, IF you do go this church. I'd encourage you and your wife to get 'plugged' into the church and serve them and help them become a 'living church' once again. But at the same time, find a place where you can be fed and helped by. (You never know their might be a 'diamond in the rough'.)

So, in short, continue to be prayerful about your church decision because God could call you to the 'sickest' church or the 'healthiest' church but Just OBEY His decision because[b] He knows best.[/b]

2006/2/5 0:36
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: United Methodist church

It's wise not to judge a congregation by its denomination, but to judge it by it's fruit (as in Gal 5) and the spirit of the preaching based on the "Christ" they present. Facts are, many of us are of the belief that we are "too good" for our congregations, and that is really a form of spiritual arrogance. Personally, the congreation I attend it extremely frustrating, continually twisting the doctrine of grace back to works. Everytime a member is reaching the point of surrender and indetinfication, they begin to try to formulate an answer again.
However, God keeps saying "Be still and know that I am God". Every now and then, I'm encouraged that something I've said to someone has "sunken in", although I go on bearing the "stigmata" of being a radical with "weird ideas" (even though the one who accuses me of this will agree with the same "weird ideas" out of someone elses mouth).
To quote Art Katz, "You really have to be zealous for truth people." It's too easy to blame our wanderlust on doctrinal issues. May I ask you if you're prepared to bear the shame of enduring a defective congregation, in order to expose you're own defective nature?
My congregation is part of a movement which is notoreous for "fad hopping". We jump on board any and every "next best thing", justifying it all by blaming it on a passion for souls. The only problem is, no one is prepared to "spend and be spent in this work". First it was "third wave" (ala Toronto) doctrine, the Pensacola type "fear preaching", then "prophetic fervour" (Rick Joyner, Kim Clement) then "cell based church" (Yonghi-Cho) then "abundance teaching" (similar to prosperity doctrine only "slightly" more balanced) then "kingdom influence" (Sunday Adelaja) and "natural church developement" and now "community based outreach" (Matthew Barnett).
That's right, you guessed it, everything but the Cross. Many a "Jacob Prasch" (believe it or not, I have alot of respect for the man) type would counsel me and my family to "run for the hills", and yet God says "Stay!!"
It all can be a little discouraging, until I began to travel around other memebrs of our movement and realised that many in my local congregation are begining to seek the truth on their own, and that is leading to many 'seeking and saving that which is lost', as opposed to 'Building a strong local church'. The reality is, the former will result in the later, but the later cannot be aimed at as a goal, or a management mentality sets in. This isn't existant in many others in my denomination, who are content to shallow everything that is dished up to them, and resent personal discussions focusing upon Christ, rather than on hobbies and such (to that there is anything wrong, as such, with these).
I have began to realise that God has been using me as an anonymus influence in the congregation I've attended, and it's cost me dearly. It's cost respect, popularity and recognition. The only reward had been shame, and a reputation as a "troublemaker" (albeit, sometimes it has been justified:oops:) along with the silent acknowledgement from above when a "timebomb" seed goes off in the heart of another, awakening them into truth. I am reminded in those moments that God is in control, and oftentimes (slight understatement:-)) He knows more than me (although, I still need a little convincing:-P).
Ahh, the tempering of faith. All this can be missed by pushing the eject button too early. I'm not directing this to anyone but the one who appreciates it. I'm expecting many a "swine" to "trample me underfoot" after throwing out these "pearls". If your offended by what I've said, please forgive me. You're right, I don't know your situation, but they all tend to be similar, and end the same.

2006/2/5 5:37Profile
roadsign

Re: Turning the defects into glory

Quote:
May I ask you if you're prepared to bear the shame of enduring a defective congregation, in order to expose you're own defective nature?

Wow!! What a well-said statement. This is exactly how God has been working in my life, and it took me a long time to see it and accept it.

It is time to stop hiding behind the defects of church, and instead look and see what God is doing in our lives through the fallen people and organizations that we find ourselves in.

I'd love to make a plaque of your words and put them on the walls of every church I know.
Diane

2006/2/5 11:11Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
This isn't existant in many others in my denomination, who are content to shallow everything that is dished up to them

Interesting play on words there Aaron ... ;-)

2006/2/5 11:35Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

YeshuaIsMyGd wrote:
I used to be a 'church hopper'.

I still am, I am sorta like an Church evalangist but I go to many different Churches to hear different ministers and as long as there are promoting the Lord Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven I will be happy to be called a Church Hopper. :-P

I am there for the message not the Church or the messenger. ;-) Just the message.

2006/2/5 11:35Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
Quote:
This isn't existant in many others in my denomination, who are content to shallow everything that is dished up to them

Interesting play on words there Aaron ... ;-)

Sorry to disappoint you Mike, but it was a spelling mistake...I mean prophetic utterance:-P.

2006/2/6 4:29Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy