SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hermeneutics

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sheepshear1

Hermeneutics

Is there a correct way to do hermeneutics? I have read several dispensational views. They all seem to indicate that dispensationalism is a style of hermeneutics, but then I find them doing a systematic theology set up. They seem to contradict one another. Just wondered if anyone else had ever seen this?

2006/2/1 11:28Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Hermeneutics

Quote:
Is there a correct way to do hermeneutics?

I agree with you that this is hard to come to exact points that are correct in this style of interpreation. Hermeneutics are so important because its the way that we figure out and interpret the scripture. Personally I rely on the Holy Spirit that leads me into all truth. The bible is dispensational to some extent so thats a valid foundation to start with. Our focus primarly needs to be the life of Christ in the believer and the outflow of that life.

2006/2/1 11:36Profile
sheepshear1

Re:

I could not agree with you more. Could you elaborate more on you said about the H.S. "Personally I rely on the Holy Spirit that leads me into all truth." I guess my question is, if we rely on the H.S. so much what is the purpose of God's Word? I have always believed that there should be some balance between the two. :-(

2006/2/1 12:31Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I have always believed that there should be some balance between the two.

I've heard that too. The word "balance" sounds a bit scary to me - implying that you can be too much on one side or the other. Can one ever have too much of the Spirit or the Word? (in their proper relationship to our lives)

I believe that there is always a harmony between the Spirit and the Word. And when we do not hear one correctly, we do not hear the other correctly either.
Diane

2006/2/1 13:36Profile

Re:

If anyone has a computer, (which we didn't here until 2002), they should know that hermeneutics has never been easier and that even the young people I've spoken to on the Web have a good handle on the Importance of knowing what The Word has to say on any given topic.

One merely needs to get a Bible program, free or bought, and make folders on each doctrine or topic they can think of, and every time they find a verse, anywhere in Scripture that fits ... they just pop it into that particular folder.

Like "the deity of Christ", "trinity", Last Days, walking in the spirit, coming into the Image of Christ .... whatever .... then it's right there for them for apologetics or just for their own growth.

Before we'd have to depend on a big small print Strong's and write or type these out.

Our first love on earth should be His Word and doing the above is the best past time of our lifetimes.

Balance or "harmony" is a good word. Can't have one without the other and come out with Truth.
Academics has taken some heavy losses in the last 30 or so years though. That's just as sad as not heeding The Spirit of Truth... which has been the case in the last 20 years or so.

They're listening to "a" spirit, that's for sure, and the Bible is just for the verses we like to pick & cut, out of context.
This is "the" Apostasy.

WE really do need to take "heed to our doctrine".

2006/2/1 15:35

Re: Hermeneutics

Quote:
I guess my question is, if we rely on the H.S. so much what is the purpose of God's Word?

What you said makes me think of these verses.

John 5
19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
20 "For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel.

24 " Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
25 "Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live.

30 "I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.

32 Jesus answered them, "Many good works I have shown you from My Father.

36 "But I have a greater witness than John's; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish -- the very works that I do -- bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.
37 "And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form.
38 "But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe.
39 "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 "But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

I think these say something about the balance we are seeking.

2006/2/2 16:04

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy