Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

Fasting

Gordon Cove has got a book called revival now through prayer & fasting. Its awesome!

I havent seen to much about fasting in this site.
I see more & more we want revival but as long as we have our 3 meals a day and a snack. Some say I cant conquer a certain sin or fault in life but I wont fast for it. "this kind cometh not out but by prayer & fasting"
Gordon Cove: "fasting means that you have got to the place of spiritual desperation. It means that you are now determined at all costs to put God first." Are we that desperate for revival??

2006/1/31 18:26Profile
relewis111

Pittsburgh,PA

Re: Fasting

I fast with the thought that God's voice is small, still and I hear it better when I place
Him before my needs. Sometimes I get wicked headaches because I go without caffiene also but God has impressed upon me that all fasting serves a purpose and that some of my reasons for fasting are not His. I fasted regularly for sometime when the Spirit impressed me that a channel of communication had been established and that I needed a more clear purpose for fasting. I have had definite, clear answers, in prayer, from fasting and that alone was worth every headache, every growling stomach, and dry mouth. Do it privately or corparately but don't deny yourself the oppurtunity to clarify the voice of God from all the everyday static of life.

His

Rich

2006/1/31 20:20Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Fasting

Quote:
"this kind cometh not out but by prayer & fasting"

Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.(Matthew 17:19-21)

It's interesting to note that Jesus tells the disciples why they couldn't cast out the demon in verse 20 with, "because of your unbelief". He relates their lack of power to their faith. So in verse 21 he is not telling us that it is the prayer and fasting themselves that cast out the demon but that the faith that we need can be found in those times of prayer and fasting. The revelation of divine facts, upon which faith can have a firm foundation, is found in the quiet times, waiting on the Lord in prayer and fasting.

I believe fasting is very important to a victorious life and personal revival. Honestly I have to say that I don't know exactly why God chose fasting to be so important but Jesus said we should do it and my times of fasting have been of great blessing (although I don't fast just to be blessed).

There have been a few discussions on fasting here on SI, here's just two...

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4501&forum=35#30657]Fasting 1[/url]

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5933&forum=35#43554]Fasting 2[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2006/1/31 20:29Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy