SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Love Her More and Love Her Less

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

Ephesains ch 5 ver25 reads(husbands love your wives,evan as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.)This reads more like the greatest gift. i'm not making an issue about loving God,ver28 goes to say(So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. ver 29 (He that loveth his wife loveth himself. The poem should read somthing like to love God more than your self.or place God above your self?

2006/2/3 9:30Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

How do you read or take in the poem above her, and word I'm getting to as an issue( her life)?in ver 25 Christ gave himself for it.we are being told to love are wives as Chirst loved the church,and doing so, we are loving God.and not loving are wives as simple idols..But fulfilling How we should love are wives.

2006/2/3 9:59Profile

Re: Love Her More and Love Her Less

Hi Greenquality,

Of course you don't [i]need[/i] to answer this question from MC, but it would help us to know if you've ever had to love God more than your wife.......

Quote:
BTW, are you married?

Blessings,

MC

2006/2/3 10:11
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

Beloved, if God so loved us,we ought also love one another.If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar:for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen,how can he love God whom he has not seen?This commandment have we from Him,(that he who loveth God love his brother also).

2006/2/3 11:28Profile
mloaks

So. MD, USA

Re:

I pity folks who cannot understand beautiful prose.
Not that i am any kind of man of letters, but come on... :-o

BTW, thx to the poem's poster!

2006/2/3 11:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Green,

You exasperate me! Me thinks thee needs to go back and reread that poem!

Consider this portion:

The greatest gift you give your wife
Is loving God above her life.

Unless you love Jesus, you are incapable of loving your wife as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her! Simple! This kind of love radiates from a walk with God. When spouses do not love their partners above God, they will give in to selfish motives/actions all the way around. Being successfully married requires sacrifice from both partners. To succeed you must love God, be obedient to him in order to fulfill your obligation of loving your spouse. BTW, the scriptures do not tell a wife to love her husband, only that a husband is to love his wife! How do you like that! Having said that it does tell a wife to submit to her husband.

Why do you not answer the question many have asked you: are you married?

ginnyrose

2006/2/3 12:21Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

ginnyrose,

At 39 years of marriage that puts you around 58-60 years old. What an encouragement to have somone "a little older :-) ) still burning HOT for Jesus on SI. Have you always been Hot for Jesus all these years??

2006/2/3 14:10Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

[b]Wow[/b]…and I almost thought that this thread had gotten lost in the flood of all the other ones :) I am glad many of you have been blessed by this poem in the same way that it encouraged me.

But, I guess it’s time to clarify some things here and share with you (a little bit of) my heart.

At this very moment I am completely broken. The meeting at my Church took place yesterday and I definitely need this weekend to recover from what has been said. One of the things I wrote down to share with the people at Church was this (translated from Dutch :-)):

“A lack of faith in the reality of the existence, faithfulness and love of God results in an inclination to make adjustments to His words whenever we think it to be necessary. Trying to make a deal. Trying to compromise. Giving way to our feelings. As long as God's will corresponds to the social and accepted opinion of men and it doesn’t contradict our own feelings, we are willing to obey Him unconditionally.”

…but not beyond that…

1. The need of Biblical foundation (especially meant for my brother Greenquality :-))
I thank you for your concern, Greenquality. And I share this concern. Maybe I expressed myself not that clear, but Dorcas was right when she said:

Quote:
He didn't say it was 'the best he can do'. He said he 'came across a poem'.

Though I believe this poem to be scriptural and though I believe that this poem reveals some great truths, I didn’t base my thoughts on it. The poem definitely encouraged me (on a personal level)...and that was my reason for posting it. It brought peace to my soul during my study on this topic. It brought joy to my heart to read it. The essence of these few lines is simple yet profound: if you want to love your wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, friend, family best…then love God more than that you love them! Honour and treasure Christ more than anyone or anything else. That’s something I desire to learn in my life. Something to bear in mind constantly. Trusting Him completely and loving Him wholeheartedly.

Against all odds we need to trust Jesus and what He says in the Bible. We must not value the creation above the Creator. Even though some decisions are very difficult to make, we should never question the goodness and wisdom of God (and I know...that's not always easy). We should never try to overrule Him, even though the decision that has to be made seems to be so “cruel”.

Greenquality wrote:
Quote:
he was looking for SOILD BIBICAL MATERIAL! does a poem written by men fit as Bibical or solid Material? or does the word of God? I'm not being Judgmental! if you thrist you drink from the spring! Right! so call me what you will, for telling him to read the Living Water the Holy Bible.

Don't worry, brother ;-) To me, my Bible is tremendously precious. I treasure it. Tozer, Spurgeon or Piper don't come even close!

God speaks a lot about marriage through the letters of Paul, but there are lots of other places in the Bible where He reveals his thoughts about marriage. What He recognizes as “a marriage”. What He considers to be so important about and within marriage. The fact that God Himself compares His relationship between Him and Israel as a marriage, the fact that Christ Himself compares His relationship between Him and the Church with a marriage…reveals to me the preciousness of it.

In all of this, I don't want to be a Pharisee, pointing fingers...I want to stay true to the Bible and the heart of Jesus. Those who do so, however, will most of the time be accused of being a Pharisee. But…the problems with the Pharisees wasn't that they applied the Law, but that they made their own laws for their own benefit (Mark 7:8-13), wanted praise from men (Matthew 6:2) and had no heart for God and men whatsoever (Mat 15:8).

Tozer pointed out:
“My own experience has taught me…that the most stubborn dogmatism is found not among those who quote the Bible to support their convictions, but among those who quote no one and claim for their spiritual authority nothing higher than their own opinions.”

I think Spurgeon was very right when he said:
"Do not say of such-and-such an error, “Oh, it is a mere matter of opinion.” If it be a matter of opinion to-day, it will be a matter of practice to-morrow. No man has an error of judgment, without sooner or later having an error in practice."

2. God’s passion with regard to marriage
Marriage is described in the Bible as a covenant, not simply a contract. A contracts engages the services of people; covenants engage the persons. God Himself is Witness (Proverbs 2:17; Maleachi 2:14). I don’t intend to make this post too long…but one thing that I desire to share with all of you and what Jesus really has put on my heart is this:

GOD’S PASSION WITH REGARD TO MARRIAGE IS INTENSE!

“Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.” (Hebrews 13:4)

The word “honor” is in many cases also translated with the word “precious” (1 Peter 1:19). God considers marriage (as an institution and covenant) as very, very precious! Wow! God treasures it. I wrote in my letter: “Do we still realize this, or are we so concerned about the feelings of others – and the feelings of ourselves – that the deep feelings of God leave us completely cold?”

Boy, I am 21 years of age...have no marriage plans at all. But boy...how beautiful it must be :-) To honor God, love my wife and in some way reflect Christ's relationship towards His Church in this marriage. Wow...is marriage a holy, beautiful, glorious thing, or what?!

3. Let God be true…
Why we should not avoid the Cross in our lives and the lives of those around us

“Let God be true…”. That should be my attitude…always. He is worthy! Trying to compromise for the sake of others, is not loving at all…it’s killing. God is the One who has said (and is capable of saying that):

“Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands…” (Isaiah 49:15)

He will take care of us. We nice, compassionate human beings as we are…we always try to take the cross of the shoulders of our friends and loved ones. We don’t want them to suffer. Jesus says that we have to take up our cross. That’s the way to glory and the way to a clear identification and intimate relationship with Him. He says: “Come to Me”. As Tozer once wrote: “You cannot carry a cross in company.” We share in Christ’s suffering for several purposes, three of them being:

1. To share abundantly in His comfort (2 Cor 1:5)
2. To be able to comfort those who are in any affliction (2 Cor 1:4)
3. To make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead (2 Cor 1:9)

We cannot carry a cross in company. Those who adhere to the truth that the cross is part of our Christian life and that we shouldn't avoid it, will at times be called “harsh, heartless and callous”. Have you aver been accused of this? We always need to check our own hearts and motives first, because you don't want to suffer as an evildoer! But if we are sincere and true to the Bible and are still being accused...take courage brother/sister…they don't accuse you of being harsh and heartless and callous but God Himself. Didn’t the crowd say of the things that Jesus taught: “this is a hard saying; who can listen to it?" (John 6:60). But the truth is: “He must increase, but I must decrease”…and we, by nature, don’t like that. It is painful. Yet if we will: no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him! Hallelujah!

Though we cannot carry a cross in company, we can share in some (not all!) of the burdens of people around us and bear with them. Yes, God even commands us to do so…and what a testimony it is when we do!

“Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” (Gal 6:2)

Ok, I will end this post (I hope you didn’t fall asleep :-P)…I realize that the last few lines don’t seem to have much in common with the topic. Well, not really maybe, but in some way they do have something to do with it. Why? Because all things have to do with the glory and honour of God.

Coincedently I read a chapter from a book by John Piper when I got home that really fits in. I will end this post with his words. It’s about the fullness of joy that can be found in God’s presence. The abudance of joy, even in the midst of suffering and having to make hard and difficult choices, or, in my case, to stand up and share some difficult and seemingly “harsh” truths from God’s heart. Here is an excerpt of it:

4. The indestructible joy that is not superficial
“There is a pasted smile that has never known pain. And it does not make for a good pastor or a great Savior. But Christ is a great Savior. Therefore, this man of indestructible joy was “a man of
sorrows, and acquainted with grief” (Isaiah 53:3).

Indomitable joy does not mean that there is only joy. Was he then divided, torn between joy and sorrow? Can an infinitely glorious soul be troubled? Yes, troubled, but not torn and disunited. Christ was complex, but he was not confused. There were divergent notes in the music of his soul, but the result was a symphony.

Through the agonies of Gethsemane and Golgotha, Jesus was sustained by indestructible joy. “For the joy that was set before him [he] endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2)

Is there a lesson here for how we should suffer? Have you ever noticed that we are not only to imitate the Lord’s suffering, but the Lord’s joy in it? Paul said to the Thessalonians, “You became imitators . . . of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit” (1 Thessalonians 1:6). It was the joy of the Lord in affliction that filled this young church.

This is a call to us now in our day. Will we embrace suffering for the cause of Christ? Not joylessness, but suffering. Will we heed the call in Hebrews 13:13, “Let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured”? The answer is going to hang on whether the city of God is more desirable to us than the city of man. Will we answer, “Here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to
come” (Hebrews 13:14)? Or will we cling to the fleeting pleasures of Egypt (Hebrews 11:25-26)?
For those who have tasted the joy of Jesus, surely nothing is more compelling than the all-surpassing hope of hearing his final word, “Well done, good and faithful servant. . . . Enter into the joy of your master” (Matthew 25:21). The city of God is a city of joy. And that joy is the indestructible joy of Christ.”
[url=http://www.desiringgod.org/library/onlinebooks_index.html#seeingandsavoring]Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ[/url]

Many blessings to all of you in the God alone who gives us worth!

Shalom,

Paul

2006/2/3 14:12Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

brentw,

About my age...I am pleased to announce I will be 59 in a few months!! :-D

Have I always been on fire for the LORD? This is difficult to answer....as I child I was very God conscience but I did things my way although I went throught the motions of 'doing the right thing' until I became aware of how hopelessly bound I was to a 'generational sin', if there is anything like that. From it I got a supernatural deliverance. This happened when I was in my 20s...In the meantime, I loved to study the Word - and still do, talk about it to anyone who would listen...So, I guess to answer your question it would have to be 'no'. Before my deliverance, I was afraid of surrendering, after it I became transparent and that is so liberating....

Perhaps, I should explain this besetting sin. It was a critical spirit or an evil imagination. I would hear something about someone and then my imagination would kick into high gear and I would end up believing a lie. When the Holy Spirit convicted me of it, I confessed my sin and asked for forgiveness only to fail with the next temptation. Then I would fall on my knees, crying and asking for forgivenss and the ability to be victorious over this temptation. I read articles on how to be victorous and the methods offered worked for a short period of time and then it was back to square one...again. This went on for some time, how long I do not remember. Then one day, when I was out in the kitchen, standing by the refrigerator, the devil came at me again with an ugly thought and I spontanously said: Devil, you leave!. At that point I felt a peace come on my head and it flowed all the way through my body, unlike anything I had ever before experienced. From that point on I was delivered and this sin no longer had any hold on me. Now, isn't God wonderful?!!! :-) Yes, there is deliverance if we want it, however, we must experience our inability to do so.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2006/2/3 23:16Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Paul,
It is so encouraging to this 58 YO to hear your testimony, to hear that not all young people in the Netherlands are out living for self and sin.

With your insights, maturity, I think you would make a wonderful husband to some Christian lady...just do not run ahead of God in this matter.

I love the quotes you shared...so rich I am saving them to share via our church bulletin.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2006/2/4 8:09Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy