SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Be Nobody’s Valentine

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

David J. Meyer is just one of the many who came out of deep occult involvement, so this stuff bugs him.
There are others on the web like that, like the "Spriritual Counterfeits Project" and others.

But if we didn't know the pagan roots, we would just keep sending Mom, Grandma and wives, flowers and a card to say "I Love you".

If after doing that for 35 years or so and you suddenly stopped and sent them this article above instead ... is that a better witness ?

Just like Christmas, (Saturnalia).
What would be a better witness for unsaved folks ? Sending them a Card with the Salvation Message in it, or telling them the pagan roots of their Holiday ?

And Easter (Astartes) ... same thing ... Send cards that describe the Resurrection and why Jesus came and died, or explain the true pagan origins of the eggs and rabbits.

Personally, I don't like the eggs, rabbits or Satan Claus ... because either it's as "Unto the Lord" or it isn't .... but this "looking into the way of the Pagans", at this juncture is a bit late and puts an uneasiness to follow through on what these holidays represent to most.
Whatever is not done in faith is sin ... so why do this to folks ?

I don't get into any of the holidays anymore because our families are too far away, but I still try to find the best Christmas Cards that can preach Jesus to them all, because it's the only time of the year that they'll allow the mention of His Name in their houses.

I don't think that people like Meyer and those have no place ... but I think they need to focus more on how "not participating" will affect our unsaved loved ones and friends.

Use it against it's pagan origins for Christ.

Just my thoughts on it all.

2006/1/29 13:13
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

I think it is amazing,how God uses things all rounds us to help explain the Good news,such as paul using a pagan alter on mars hill.so those who are so quick to judgment,on how the Church turned these pagan day's into Holy day,and put the focus on Jesus and The Good new's!Is no different than what paul did,on Mars hill.!!!!

2006/1/29 17:34Profile

Re: Sweet heart

Well if I had a sweetheart, she would get roses, a box of chocolates and I would take her out to dinner on February 14th. And I would expect only one thing from her, a kiss.............for at least five minutes :-P

We should enjoy all the holidays according to our conscience, I used to get so caught up in the meaning and origins, I really don't care anymore.

I know whom I have believed, I KNOW what I believe!

2006/1/29 17:55
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

I heard that Valentine was a man that was imprisoned for his faith and that he sent love letters to his girlfriend while in prison.

2006/1/29 20:34Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

The History chanels web for St Valentine includes this information. It also mentions that some believe the information that was posted earlier instead of this.

The History of Valentine's Day

Every February, across the country, candy, flowers, and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine. But who is this mysterious saint and why do we celebrate this holiday? The history of Valentine's Day -- and its patron saint -- is shrouded in mystery. But we do know that February has long been a month of romance. St. Valentine's Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. So, who was Saint Valentine and how did he become associated with this ancient rite? Today, the Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred.

One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men -- his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

Other stories suggest that Valentine may have been killed for attempting to help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons where they were often beaten and tortured.

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France.

2006/1/29 20:44Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

Soething King Jimmy said earlier really impacted me:

Quote:
Just because some chose to make these things for pagan usage doesn't mean they all become pagan by mere association. It's only pagan if you make it such.

now i know it's not pagan but something that occured to me was the Catholic Mass, with it's transubstantiation (sp?) how they believe it is the actual Blood and body of our Lord, well my question is because the communion has been turned into something it isn't, how is that different to pine trees at christmas, red hearts on valentines day and eggs at easter? Should we abandon communion because some people have changed it's true meaning? and what next crosses because satanists invert them? the fish symbol because they've now grown legs and say Darwin instead of Jesus?

Is the difference because christmas trees and easter eggs were originally non-christian and are now associated with christian holidys, and communion is originally christian and has been turned into something else?

you all know wot i mean anyway

matt

2006/1/31 14:42Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
you all know wot i mean anyway

I'm not sure I do brother:-)

We hold communion because the Lord instructed us to. :-)

Since that time when Jesus introduced communion to the desciples, the Catholic church added some ceremonial pagentry and superstition to it. (As I understand their eucharist holds, in some hard to pin down fashion, that Christ's bodily substance or at least presence is literally transmitted into the bread and wine during the sacrement.)

Maybe the better question is, why did the Catholic church take a simple but profound act of obedience open to all confessing Christians and fashion it into a mystical act of priestcraft?

I agree with the conclusion you were ariving at. Unlike Christmas holidays or feasts, communion is not a man-made tradition, but something we are asked to do by the Lord. The controversy with Christmas and Easter is because, apparently, these religous holidays had their original dates taken from pagan calendars. In the case of communion, it's origin is none other than Jesus teaching it to us in scripture.

MC

2006/1/31 14:59Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re: Be Nobody’s Valentine

"In God’s eyes, it is still “Lupercalia”, the “Day Of The Wolf.” Men become wolves, as they carry on the Satanic rituals of fornication, which means sexual intercourse without marriage."

Say's Who?

For me, I shall hug my wife, give her a kiss, and most likey some chocolates..and wish her a Happy Valentines Day.

And doubt very seriously that I have sinned for doing so.

There are far more things to worry about than this.

2006/1/31 15:38Profile

Re:

I respect people who have convictions about these types of things. I would not critisize anyone who is avoiding Valentine's Day and Christmas because they believe they are pleasing God. However, I think they are getting carried away with it.

For instance... Henry Ford wrote a book called "THE INTERNATIONAL JEW, THE WORLD'S FOREMOST PROBLEM", and was right in line with Hitler's writings. Yet, I dont see any Christians in America refusing to drive cars. Whats the difference, other than a little bit of hypocrisy? If you're gonna avoid one thing because of it's origin and make a big of it, then you better avoid EVERYTHING of questionable origin.

I love Valentine's Day because it's a day set aside to shower extra love on my beautiful wife. Is that so wrong? I dont think so. I think in this age when divorce is just as rampant in the so-called "church", we could use a few more Valentine's Days!

But we dont practice paganism when we shower our special love with a little extra attention.

Krispy

2006/1/31 15:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy