SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Antidepressants ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Antidepressants ?

For about 10 years now, I've been reading material on antidepressants, because it seemed more and more Church going Christians were being prescribed these for anything from sleep problems to anxiety to almost any other complaint they'd bring to their Dr.s.

Back then, I had a friend, who worked at a Hospital as a cleaning lady. Her husband was a child molesting monster, who also lived with another woman and mistreated my friend.

After they finally split up, my friend had trouble sleeping ... that's all, just trouble sleeping, but she lost no work time over it.

Well, of course, as is the situation anymore in WAY too many cases, the Dr. gave her antidepressants ... what he and others failed to tell her, was the chances of Parkinson's, etc. etc. etc. etc. from long term use and for some, even short term use.

My friend is now one of the youngest patients in the Nursing Home with late stage Parkinsons.

After this happened to her, the same Hospital where she both worked and was "treated", began to give healthy people "anti-Parkinson" drugs WITH any antidepressants.

So, if I seem to be on some sort of campaign, well, yes and with tons of other stories to tell of why ... but I'll let just this one website say the rest and maybe save just one kid or person from the things that we're NOT being told.

I've fought organic and situational depression, so I'm not unfeeling for these people.
Our God is a miracle working God.
But 'their' cure is worst down the road than the original problem ever was.

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/doctors.htm

God Bless !

2006/1/27 0:41
dohzman

Re: Antidepressants ?

Thank you for that post. It came as a direct answer to my prayers reguarding a situation I'm privy to right now and which my in-put will have much influence in. I"ll spend much time on that site reading for now. God Bless

2006/1/27 0:52Profile
jend

u.s midwest ghetto

Re:

in charismatic circles, the spirit of depression is dealt with as something that should be cast out on a spiritual basis. many believers in this movement state that mainstream Christians walk with a watered down version of the healing power of the Blood of Jesus Christ and our lack of faith causes us to depend more on doctors than Him.
peace out, jen
"he who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of The One who sent him is a man of truth, there is nothing false about him."john 7:18

2006/1/27 1:27Profile
dohzman

Re:

I'm going to kind here and tell you that I've watched people die, literally, waiting on the Lord to heal them when they could have gone to a doctor and today they would still be alive. They had faith.
I don't discount the supernatural works of God in healings or deliverances. I do believe that the giftings of the Holy Spirit in these instances are best relied upon. When we as christians take the word of God and try to apply it to another persons life, we better know that what we are doing is really from the Lord. No------I don't dislike the charismatic doctrines that I've heard so much of the last 30 or so years, they only left out one thing>>>God is Soverien in ALL of Life.
Lack of faith? Tell that to the saints who died waiting on the Lord when you meet them in Heaven. Many a charismatic preacher will hang thier heads in shame someday at the presence of such saints who "lacked Faith". Now thoughs same people who preached faith only, are teaching prosperity, trouble is that thier doctrine won't work in 3rd world countries, but they seem to be getting rich here in America duping the masses. :-(

2006/1/27 2:12Profile

Re:

jend, we're new to each other, so I don't know how you feel about things, but do you believe what you wrote ?

I don't want to go into a big diatribe about "not every illness is a spirit" and that Luke was a Physician, etc. etc., if you were just talking about some other groups.

I just get a bit unsettled when I hear folks talk about "a spirit of .....".

Paul told Timothy, to take a little wine for his stomach sake and his often infirmities.
So did Timothy have "spirits of this or that ..." and why wouldn't Paul rather just get rid of those spirits in Timothy and his own thorn in the flesh ?

Hopefully, this thread won't turn into that conversation ... Please start another thread, if that's where this is leading to.

This is about Antidepressants.

Thank you and all His Best to you all.

2006/1/27 2:26
Quickend

Here's the rationale

"If you take pills for a head ache, why not take pills for depression"

Here's the problem. Many drugs, presciptions mostly, have a capacity for bringing us into bondage, or effecting the will of the enemy in our lives. To make it plain, some bring us to a point of addiction and dependency like pain killers and some deteriorate our minds and body. Some accomplish both. About two years ago I had an incredible struggle with a drug called oxyconton. Coming off of it nearly took my life. I was prescibed antidepessants in the process and a host of other drugs, But through the grace of God I am off of all of them.

1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

2006/1/27 2:29Profile
jend

u.s midwest ghetto

Re:

Quote:

MeAgain wrote:
jend, we're new to each other, so I don't know how you feel about things, but do you believe what you wrote ?
I just get a bit unsettled when I hear folks talk about "a spirit of .....".
Hopefully, this thread won't turn into that conversation ... Please start another thread, if that's where this is leading to.
This is about Antidepressants.

without taking the focus from the topic of antidepressants, i will answer your original question. although i was walking without faith, through the unsolicited prayers of others, i was delivered from a spirit of depression. i am one of those people that meds did not work on and really needed a miracle.
have seen others delivered from mental oppression through prayer, but as you said, that's a different thread. for the record it is my hearts desire to see you set free from this bondage through whatever route the Lord deems fit.
peace out, jend
"he who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him." john 7:18

2006/1/27 2:54Profile

Re:

Jend, If Late-Neuro-Lyme-Disease and another similar disease, are what you call my "bondage", which both cause central nervous system and brain damage ... then I thank you for your prayers. But I do not have a "spirit of depression". I've battled depression and won, despite that mine was "organic", and without antidepressants.

Maybe you did have "a spirit of depression", but don't put that blanket on all people. There are physical diseases, like M.S., Arteriosclerosis, CFIDS, ALS,etc.,etc. that cause organic depression. They are all brain & CNS eating diseases, like Parkinson's, Alzheimer, etc..
Are these "spirits" too ?

But regardless of the cause of the depression, I think careful research of the Link above, will show that antidepressants will eventually only make even these poor folks worse after a while.

For those who are just "situationally" depressed or because they've lived a whole life of abuse, I also believe in God's solution. He's the Healer of our souls.
Being "other's" minded is one of the best Natural Cures He's created.

I hope everyone will research that link up top so they can help someone and possibly save a life.

Thanks.
Love.
Annie

2006/1/27 3:27
Curley_Q_Joe

For most of my life I was depressed, but I didn't know it. I thought I was normal, and that everyone else was just unreasonably happy. Later when I learned more about depression, I realized that I wasn't normal and that I had to do something about it because it was debilitating to me and ruining my life. I dropped out of grad school because I just too depressed and didn't know what to do about it.

I thought it was a spiritual problem, so I resisted suggestions from doctors in my family that I might need antidepressants. But after years of praying and praying, and reading every Christian book I could find, nothing helped -- except when I tried antidepressants.

So, my conclusion: if you don't need antidepressants, then don't take them. If you need them, then take them. And don't judge those who do or do not take them, because the way you judge others is the way God will judge you (Mat 7:2).

I'm not in favor of using medication for every problem. For example, I'm not conviced that giving sedatives to hyperactive kids is the best approach.

But I do know that our genomes have been corrupted by thousands of years of mutations, and these mutations affect every part of our bodies, even our brains. So we take medicine to provide our bodies with the chemicals that our bodies are not making enough of, or in other cases to block production of chemicals or proteins that are bodies are making too much of.

And yes, every medicine has side effects, antidepressants included. Just ask your doctor and he'll tell you the side effects. And no, doctors are not in a big conspiracy to fry your brain; they are just trying to help.

For some people, depression may be a temporary thing caused by spiritual disobedience or something, but if you've had it your whole life, and especially if you have a family history of depression or alcoholics, you should consider that your genome may predispose you to depression, and you may not be able to fight it alone. So if you've tried everything else, don't be afraid to try antidepressant medication. God is not going to be mad at you or zap you. You only think that way because you're depressed. Everything is dark and gloomy when you are depressed, even your view of God.

Finally, ask yourself this question: "Am I more useful to God when I'm depressed, or when I'm not depressed? Am I more of a blessing to other people when I'm depressed, or when I'm not depressed?"

2006/1/27 4:44Profile

Re:

Brother Joe, I would never judge a person who believes the pharmaceutical companies, who twist Dr.s arms to prescribe these things. I don't blame all of that on "spiritual things" either. But on the half truths or down right lies being propagated by money making industries and certain Dr.s. (Not all)

It's what they are Not telling us that bothers me or that they themselves have been to lazy to research themselves, because as you will see from this one website, it's all Dr.s and Researchers writings.

I'm not against certain anti-anxiety drugs ... because again that would be dealing with CNS damage in many cases. But those do not have the same side affects as SSRIs have.

But you would really need to read as much as is on that Link to understand how those drugs "really" work.

I have more empathy with depressed people than with most any types, because I've had every reason on earth to be depressed myself.
I gave my life story on here once, so I won't again, but it was unusually traumatic and difficult. 7 homes where I was made to feel I wasn't wanted, and to top that off Joe, had depression in my family history also and now two diseases that affect the CNS.

I would have taken those pills in a heart beat months or years ago, if I had not researched them extensively first, and it started with my friend 10 years ago or more, actually, when that story I told above happened to her.

You can't stop them cold turkey, you must be very slowly weened off of them. But if you just read the research, you'll see how they 'really' work and what eventually happens.

There are other ways to go Bro. Joe and I do believe that there are some Licensed Christian Counselors who do some wonderful Biblical counseling.

When we become Born-Again, that "family history" with it's genes to depression or whatever is broken. Else wise, He couldn't say, Rejoice in the Lord Always, and again I say Rejoice. And some other verses I could give.

If we buy the lie of the world about genetics from a bunch of Darwinist/Humanitic biased "researchers", regarding depression,etc., well, let's just say, I've read the opposing view points from Medical Scientists and Research has already been on the radio, that the "chemistry" doesn't come first ... but the "thoughts" come first and then the chemistry gets messed up or triggered.

I could go on and on, but unless you've researched it all yourself, and that link is fantastic, then you'll only misunderstand me and I don't want that.

I'm a Caregiver by nature and worked in a Hospital when I was sixteen and when I couldn't work anymore for physical reasons, I was 49 and loving my job at the Nursing Home.
So please don't take this Link as condemnation.
It's far from it. It's just the other side of the Professional Research by Doctors and Research Scientists. Those who do not stand to gain in any way financially by sticking their necks out to tell the truth, when it's much more financially profitable to go the other route.

Much of His Love to you brother Joe.
Your sister in Christ,
Annie

2006/1/27 5:28

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy