Chimps more like humans than apes

Chimps more like humans than apes
DNA analysis also shows they're evolving faster than humans

Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10994885/

Bub

By Robert Roy Britt

Updated: 5:39 p.m. ET Jan. 23, 2006

While you might think of yourself as smarter than the average ape, beware: Those distant relatives of ours have a knack for evolving more quickly than we do. And by revealing this through DNA analysis, scientists have provided support for a controversial hypothesis that chimpanzees are more closely related to humans than to other species of great apes with which they're currently classified.

The findings were announced today in a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Researchers generally agree that humans and chimps diverged from a common ancestor about 5 million to 7 million years ago.

Chimps are lumped with gorillas and orangutans in the same family, Pongidae, whereas humans are in the family Hominidae.

But a study in 2003 found that 99.4 percent of important DNA sites are the same in chimps and humans. Other researchers have since concluded that there are crucial differences in the genetic software of the two species, however. Only a few months ago was the full chimp DNA sequence unraveled.

Chimps evolving faster
In the new study, scientists examined how quickly each species evolves. The figure they work with is called a molecular clock. It involves the rate at which DNA base pairs match up incorrectly, creating genetic errors called substitutions. These are the mutations that cause changes in a species over time.

Our clock began to slow down about 1 million years ago, and today it is 3 percent slower than that of the chimp and 11 percent slower than in the gorilla, concludes the study, led by Soojin Yi, a biologist at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

The upshot: There seem to be fewer changes to the software of life in humans over time than in chimpanzees, and even fewer still than in the other apes.

This slower clock correlates with a longer time needed to reach sexual maturity — almost twice as long for humans as gorillas. Scientists call this "generation time." In order for mutations to cause lasting change in a species, they must pass on to the next generation.

Since well before modern times, humans have taken almost twice as long to reach sexual maturity as other apes, Yi said.

"A long generation time is an important trait that separates humans from their evolutionary relatives," said Navin Elango, a graduate student working with Yi. "We used to think that apes shared one generation time, but that's not true. There's a lot more variation."

"I think we can say that this study provides further support for the hypothesis that humans and chimpanzees should be in one genus, rather than two different genus' because we not only share extremely similar genomes, we share similar generation time," Yi said.

Humans slow but smart
Given our evolutionary snail's pace, you might be wondering why, in just a few million years, we got so smart while chimps lagged.

"Even though mutations per se may arise in fewer numbers in humans than in chimpanzees, those that matter will quickly spread," Yi told LiveScience. "Mutations that are advantageous to the human, such as intelligence, probably are under strong natural selection," meaning individuals either latch on to the good stuff or perish.

However, Yi and her colleagues looked only at mutations in non-functional regions of DNA, changes that don't affect evolution. "If we looked at only those mutations that are selected, it is possible we may see different results," she said.

If this isn't evidence of human evolution, I don't know what is. Bubbaguy

2006/1/24 16:01
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re: Chimps more like humans than apes

Bub,

why do ye even bother pushing evolution on this site anymore

matt

2006/1/24 16:22Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Quote:
Given our evolutionary snail's pace, you might be wondering why, in just a few million years, we got so smart while chimps lagged.

Wonderful. So humans have controlled the world since before we really know in terms of history. We can't agree with our own history without a triplicate in historical authenticity, but a weak scientific "link" somehow helps prove evolution from a pile of goo.

Two simple questions: since life evidently originated from one spot, can you explain to me why flora and fauna exist? Hmm...? Natural selection says that one should dominate the other to the point where the one would become nonexistant, especially if they derived from the same place.

And two, if humans have been evolving so much slower for so long, doesn't that suggest the exact opposite? That evolutionally, we started significantly farther ahead? Either that, or we must have been more closely related to rabbits at one time.

To me, this article is a bit like explaining evolution occurs. It does. I've heard it described as adaptive evolution, or that evolution directly affects living matter. Yes. But, unfortunately, the theory of evolutionary beginnings sucks and is completely unscientific. Its proof is literally impossible.

2006/1/24 16:54Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

I recently watched a show on the Discovery "Science" channel, which presented various ancient life forms. Many of these were, indeed, factual, with bones and such to prove their existence. However, they also presented many "transitional" species, and even named them, which do not in fact exist in any evidence or fossils except in the imagination of some paleontologist. You see, on this "Science" channel, which is geared toward the layman, they presented these animals along with the factual animals, with no distinction. Not even a word that these animals were just theories and had never been found or proven to exist in any way. This is the type of deception which abounds in this age of unbelief.
The book "Darwin on Trial" is full of quotations which have accidentally slipped out of the mouths of evolutionists revealing the truth about the 'evidence' they have obtained.
Moral of the story: dont believe every 'fact' you hear. You can only trust One.

2006/1/24 17:06Profile
suzy

Devon, England

I have nothing against chimpanzees. But I find it a complete insult to be told that a chimpanzee is a distant relation of mine. God made the animals, which includes chimps, AND He made man - on two separate days of creation. I happen to be a human made in the likeness of My God - I know this because He told me in the Bible which I believe 100% - "...God created man, in the likeness of God made he him..." Genesis 5 v 1. And my God is not a chimp.

Sue

2006/1/24 17:40Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

The enemy certainly has deceived many with this evolution rubbish/excrement or whatever one wishes to call it. as a scientist myself it's insulting for this foolishness to be taught and presented as scientific fact when it is indeed a load of rubbish if i've ever seen one...there will be very many disappointed people on that last day when the Lord makes it plain that this evolution stuff is something fashioned by satan from the very bowels of his kingdom to ensare the saints. Lord free us from this and all manner of such foolishness.AMEN

2006/1/24 19:23Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Another excellent and revealing book is "In Six Days: why fifty scientists (Ph.D's) choose to believe in Creation" by John F. Ashton

2006/1/24 19:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy