· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : RE: Why revive the living?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
boo

RE: Why revive the living?

Can some one please explain revival to me?
I mean, I know what it is to me.
A spiritual restoration or renewal, But I don'tunderstand why there is so
much emphasis on this among we who have passed from death to life.

sincerly. Robert

2006/1/19 22:24Profile
four4Him

Southern New Jersey

Re:

-Hi, Robert,

-Evangelist Lester Roloff once said that RE-vival could only take place in those who had been "vived." I think he was referring to the growing process in those who had been born. Think of the term "maturity." We wouldn't leave our newborn children alone to provide for themselves; so it is with revival. God's children HAVE passed from death to life (Jn. 5:24), but we need to be involved in the growing process ("Christian maturity). Christians who shy away from growth miss out on God's best for their lives. As a pastor, there's nothing quite as sad as watching someone who's "just along for the ride"..

-Blessings, brother...

2006/1/19 22:41Profile
boo

Re:

Thank you for your reply. I am new to sermon index. I have been reading so much about revival and doubts that some have about the present day revival being genuine. Just thought I'd ask.

Robert.

2006/1/20 3:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

boo's

Quote:
A spiritual restoration or renewal, But I don't understand why there is so much emphasis on this among we who have passed from death to life.

boo,
this is a really good question! I have long believed that what is sometimes called 'classical revival' is a full return to authentic regeneration. 'classical revival', of the kind recorded down the centuries has had its conscious centre in the holiness of God and man's response to that revelation. This is why it has always had the authentic element of 'consciousness of sin' and the authentic element of 'repentance'; not just from what I have 'done' but from who I am. It is a personal heart-cry, Lord have mercy on me, the sinner. It is not just about 'sins' but about the nature of the sinner.

According to the words of Christ this is the 'initial evidence' of the coming of the Spirit;And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (John 16:8, NKJV)Perhaps you are thinking 'Isn't this supposed to happen in conversion?' Yes, biblically but we live in an era where this is no longer the 'normal Christian' beginning. There is also the prospect of churches 'falling'Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. (Gal. 5:4, KJVS)This was addressed not to a 'church' but to the 'church[u]es[/u] of Galatia; a whole territory had 'fallen' from a higher experience. Perhaps a whole 'era' can fall from 'grace' resulting in what is, in effect, sub-standard Christianity.

The concept of the 'classic revival' is a raising to new heights and restoring to first love as a result of the God's sovereign intervention. I am spelling this out carefully because the usage of the word 'revival' has developed differently on each side of the Atlantic. Due, I suspect, partly to the work of Finney and others an understanding arose that ''revivals' could be facilitated by praying and preaching. This seemed to develop into a meeting designed to facilitate such a revival and lively, intense meetings became known as 'revival meetings' in the USA. This usage has never been common in the UK. In the UK Christian use of the term 'revival' hardly every means a meetings designed to foster one; it almost always means a 'classical revival' marked by conviction of sin and area wide God-consciousness.

Perhaps such 'revivals' are God's way of re-setting the dials and restoring Christianity to its original power and purity. This is often necessary for the individual and for the community. Such works of God have come to be seen as 'remedial' and consequently 'abnormal', but I am left with the deep conviction that this was intended to be the norm.

"Love perfecteth what it begins;

Thy power doth save me from my sins;

Thy grace upholdeth me.

This life of trust, how glad, how sweet;

My need and Thy great fulness meet,

And I have all in Thee.

Jean Sophia Pigott (1845-1882)

2006/1/24 9:14Profile
Quickend

Re:

Philologos quote:

"Perhaps a whole 'era' can fall from 'grace' resulting in what is, in effect, sub-standard Christianity"

Thank you for this response. I provided me with some much needed clarity and understanding, as I am new to the concept of revival of such magnitude.

May God continue to use you to his glory.

Robert.H

boo.

2006/1/24 12:15Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy