SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is christian music?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Response to Marc

Quote:
I am annoyed and insulted by the lack of the depth of musical and lyrical depth in many mainstream recordings

It’s time we realize that we DON’T NEED these people. Christians who are gifted music writers should perhaps be willing to let God give them the recognition they need, including provide their daily bread.
“Do not be unequally yoked think that reference applies here. We don’t need to lean on the ways of the world to get ahead.

Quote:
What I mean by that is that if you decide to do something like, say, chuck your old record collection, make sure that the Lord has put it on your heart to do so. …. Does that make sense?

Yes it does. God may be merely testing one’s heart to see if their music means more to him than he does.

Quote:
Personally, I'm starting to avoid using the "Christian" music label. ….But I think sometimes that the label has become so vague and cliched that it cheapens the Lord's testimony.

Labels have a way of changing their meanings through time and use, for example, “Gospel music” . You may see written in music, “Play in a gospel style”. This term has nothing to do with the Gospel, but with a style of music that used that label.
The same goes for other words: Revival (now you can get revival caps and T-shirts)

2006/1/18 19:08Profile
CyberCarbon

Re: What is christian music?

I would agree with your definition, and would add a few more. Worship the Lord, Praising the Lord, Not offending anyone and being sensitive to older believers and the audience. When you sing Christian music, it is not a in your face attitude. It should be guided by the Holy Spirit, now I am speaking of something I am not knowledgable about. I am not musical but have witnessed the friction and abrassiveness certain types of music can have on different parts of the body of Christ. Some older, or conseritive believers believe rock and roll style music has no place in God's House.

2006/1/18 19:22Profile
roadsign

Re: Response to Dan, and Psalm63

Dan said,

Quote:
God likes the same kind of music they like.

You have keen observation. This is very egocentric thinking, and, as you say, it is all too common.
It has been said, “Man created God in his image, and worships his image.

Quote:
most people know the difference between "performance" and "worship" - between "affected/self promoting" and "edifying" -

Most of the audience, probably, but the performers themselves might be quite blind to this.

I often invite guest musicians to my church. I cannot always figure out where exactly they stand with God, and I don’t quiz them on their doctrine. I check for these things: Do they show respect for the values of the church? Will they portray respect for my congregation? Are they “in your face” – ie do they give an air of “me, me, me”? Do they respect good music, and do they prepare well? I may help guide the selections of songs.

Psalm63 wrote
Quote:
I have also encountered others who believe that just because the artist proclaims themselves to be Christian, then the music is Christian. Yet there are those who bear this label yet produce music which is devoid of Christ.

It’s been said, “the proof is in the pudding”. In other words, it’s not what people CLAIM that means anything, it’s what fruit they produce. The Bible says that in several places.

Quote:
The focus is more on their image, their ability to perform, and the size of their speakers.

I takes a long time, and a hard process of dying to self, a work of God to subdue these misdirected desires. And it looks like God has been doing just that in your life. God bless you.

2006/1/18 19:30Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Some older, or conseritive believers believe rock and roll style music has no place in God's House.

To older people rock and roll is a blatent icon of a self-indulgent worldly youth generation of their past. To them it feels like they are in a house of sin rather than a house of prayer.

Music touches one according to what it has been associated with.
Diane

2006/1/18 19:38Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, as i am a wierd old man, i believe that music is niether christian or worldly. it is cycles per second(hertz)falling on the ears of prejudist listeners. mine is good ,yours is bad. i have been to one concert in church where the Spirit of the Lord fell.that concert lasted about five minutes.reba rambo was singing 'don't let the wounded soldier die" and in the middle of the song she saw the crowd were on their faces sobbing and she stopped singing and came out to pray with us. one in forty years ain't too bad. jimp

2006/1/19 4:27Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:
anything that comes from God is christian music

Satan came from God (Gen 3:1). Does that make him christian?

2006/1/19 5:40Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

CyberCarbon wrote:
I am not musical but have witnessed the friction and abrassiveness certain types of music can have on different parts of the body of Christ. Some older, or conseritive believers believe rock and roll style music has no place in God's House.

Once again, may I commend the thread [url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2872&forum=35&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=1"]Christian rock music...[/url]? Even if you don't want to read though this (as it encoumpases a change of opinion in some minds, mainly mine), I challenge to test the above opinion after listening to [url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=7109"]Power through prayer[/url] by Keith Daniel, asking yourself the question, "If there is nothing moral about music, then why did God do that to the stereo?" I'm not going to explain it. one, because I'll give away the surprise, and two, because I'm hoping your curiosity will cause you to check it out:P. (As Keith would say, "Oh, but now I'm being naughty, aren't I?")

2006/1/19 5:57Profile
daniel-

Germany

I can only share my experiences with god.
I dont believe that there is something like a "music code", no music in itself is evil.
Well, there was a time the lord touched this area in my life, music.
And i felt like i should give up every music that
came from a non-christian.
This wasn't about the music style, but the source it came from.
Well, after a fight in my heart (because i really
loved some of the music) i finally decided to
give it up.
But shortly after that God showed me that it wasnt
about the music.
It was about the role the music played in my heart.
What was more important to me, the "worldly" music
or to obey him?
Consider Abraham, he wasn't really supposed to sacrifice Isaac, it was a test of his heart.
Since then i have a deep freedom listening to the music i like.
For sure there is a line, i would never listen to any satanic band, but i have no problem with nearly any kind of music style.

2006/1/19 9:10Profile

Re:

Quote:

Cjak wrote:
Once again, may I commend the thread Christian rock music...? Even if you don't want to read though this (as it encoumpases a change of opinion in some minds, mainly mine), I challenge to test the above opinion after listening to Power through prayer by Keith Daniel, asking yourself the question, "If there is nothing moral about music, then why did God do that to the stereo?" I'm not going to explain it. one, because I'll give away the surprise, and two, because I'm hoping your curiosity will cause you to check it out:P. (As Keith would say, "Oh, but now I'm being naughty, aren't I?")

I echo Cjak's recommendation. I read through the thread and it had some excellent points. Take up the challenge to listen to that message...it will challenge you in your music and your prayer life.

2006/1/19 10:48

Even the world knows something is wrong with Rock and Roll.

Quote:
Homosexual rock star David Bowie said, Rock has always been the devil’s music. . . I believe rock and roll is dangerous . . . I feel we’re only heralding something even darker than ourselves.” (Rolling Stone, Feb. 12, 1976)

How much more than for Christian Rock!

2006/1/28 14:46

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy