SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bonhoeffer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Bonhoeffer a christian??? Are you for real? This man was nothing more than an antichrist.I don't care if he won the Nobel Peace Prize Award.YUK!!!

Why would you want to read that for???

2006/1/16 19:01
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

Conqueror wrote:
all that to say..."don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" :) Bonhoeffer was human and prone to human error. If you don't agree with a couple of things he said doesn't mean he was always wrong.

I guess when you think about it, if this wasn't applied, we'd have to reject the protestant reformers and go back to Rome;-).

2006/1/16 18:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
There is much that you and I disagree on Ron Bailey....we can start at Israel and move outwards.

Much we agree on, we start at Jesus Christ and Him crucified and move inwards.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

2006/1/16 18:14Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
But all of these teachers, Bonhoeffer include, have way more that I do agree with than I disagree with. But its my responsibility to take the teachings of these secondary teachers and compare them against the Bible.

...which is the only point I would want to make on this particular topic.

2006/1/16 18:12Profile
Conqueror

Re:

I read Cost of Discipleship and thought it was excellent. He is the first man I know of who coined the term "cheap grace".

I got his "Letters and Papers From Prison" for Christmas but haven't had a chance to read it. I got my father in law that documentary on him. Gonna borrow it from him.

2006/1/16 11:57Profile

Re: Beware Bonhoeffer

I found absolutely nothing wrong in "Life Together", and I will be looking very hard at "The Cost of Discipleship".

There is much that you and I disagree on Ron Bailey....we can start at Israel and move outwards.

Much we agree on, we start at Jesus Christ and Him crucified and move inwards.

2006/1/16 10:43
Conqueror

I have a feeling that Bonhoeffer was like any other great saint, alive or dead...he was human. And like any human he would be prone to "human understanding".

There is not a teacher, past or present(outside scripture) that I have read that I agree 100%. Not Lewis, not Tozer, nor Murray, not Wilkerson, not Ravenhill...

But all of these teachers, Bonhoeffer include, have way more that I do agree with than I disagree with. But its my responsibility to take the teachings of these secondary teachers and compare them against the Bible.

all that to say..."don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" :) Bonhoeffer was human and prone to human error. If you don't agree with a couple of things he said doesn't mean he was always wrong.

2006/1/16 10:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ron, thanks for posting this link. I never knew Bonhoeffers' theology was as bad as this....

Wish I had read this before I posted on another thread....

ginnyrose

2006/1/16 10:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Beware Bonhoeffer

I would like to sound a cautionary note concerning the teaching of Bonhoeffer. He is very quotable but he was certainly not 'conservative evangelical'. He acknowledged his debt to Barth who is another much quoted 'neo-orthodox'. Some time ago I posted a short note on [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=13933]Barth[/url] here on SI. Most of what was said there would equally apply to Bonhoeffer. For a short critique of Bonhoeffer this article may be useful. [url=http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/bonhoeffer/general.htm]Bonhoeffer.[/url] The final 14 point summary should be sufficient to alert Bible believing Christians to his position.

2006/1/16 5:24Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: more from Life Together

Quote:
To confuse Christian brotherhood with some wishful idea of religious fellowship is to poison it at its root.

Oh...it's so tempting to put quotation marks around the whole book:-).

2006/1/16 5:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy