SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Do we go directly to heaven when we die?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DesiJr

Do we go directly to heaven when we die?

Just putting it out there.....many times after funerals we hear the Pastors say.....Well he's in a better place, or she's with God now in Paradise. If this is this true, what is the biblical foundation for this doctrinal teaching that after we die we go directly our eternal resting place heaven or hell?

2006/1/9 10:45Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Do we go directly to heaven when we die?

"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."

John 14:1-5

Heaven Is Where God Lives. :-)

2006/1/9 11:16Profile
DesiJr

Re: Huh?

So, are we asleep when we die awaiting judgement or do we go directly to heaven?

2006/1/9 11:40Profile
Axe1338

Miami, Fl

Re:

Absent from body prsent with God.

2006/1/9 11:44Profile
DesiJr

Re: Absent from the Body yet present with God

Ok, if we are present with God in Heaven,
that means that we have already been judged, so if we are already judged the moment we die, then what happens during the second coming of Christ. Is all heaven and hell gathered together again for a second judgement?

2006/1/9 11:51Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Desijr...!

I think that I understand what you are asking. Unfortunately, there is alot of speculation about this, with very little consensus. There are some passages in the Bible that seem to indicate that we go directly to eternity, while others seem to indicate that we await. To the thief on the cross, Jesus told him, "Today you will be with me in paradise." Yet there are other passages that seem to indicate that there is a waiting period.

Does someone go directly to Heaven when they die?

Personally, I believe that a person does not (sort of). I believe that when a person dies, its as if they are asleep. This confirms some of the things that Jesus said concerning the dead "sleeping," as well as the Old Testament references about a particular individual "resting" with their father.

I believe that on the last day (at the trumpet call), the dead will be raised.

However, I believe that much of the seeming discrepency is due to our limited understanding of the concept of time. [i]There is no such thing as time in eternity[/i]. Or perhaps more correctly, time is not what we think it to be. Many thousands of years can pass in just a moment of eternity. I believe that it is possible that when a person dies, that person rests here on earth. However, in a seeming instant, all of human history is fulfilled. They "awake" in judgment -- seeing even those that lived and died [i]after[/i] they did. I've always imagined that, when I see the Lord for the first time face-to-face, thousands of earthly years could pass without my ever even noticing!

This topic has been discussed at length in certain other threads (particularly those on eternity or judgment). You can use the "search" function at the top of the homepage to look for those. But this is an interesting topic of discussion!

:-)

By the way, welcome to the forums!

2006/1/9 12:25Profile

Re:

1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Now this whole thing stems from this communion business for that is where these scriptures are taken from. This is why I take the stand against the literal breaking of bread and the literal drinking of the wine as the actual communion of the saints.

Jesus said, John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Christ is not interested in us eating bread and drinking wine at Easter or every second Sunday, but there is something more here because it involves the resurrection.

Jesus said, 1 Corinthians 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

"THIS DO YE" this is the mystery in these 3 words.

Now remember everything that Jesus said was under the Old Covenant, for He was born under the law, which is Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come,[b][size=medium]and not the very image of the things[/size][/b] , can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Listen to me, we have glorified the images more than Jesus Christ who is our meat who hath come down from heaven that men might eat thereof and not die.

Jesus said, John 4:34 ....., My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Meat = Is doing the Will of God.

Someone might say what does this has to do with Heaven or the Resurrection, Jesus ties the resurrection into the communion.

Lets take a look at what this drink is, He says it's His blood. And He also says that if you don't drink His blood you have no life in you.

Genesis 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

I got to stop here, I got to go. I would love to continue this, but it's something to chew on my dear friends.

LS

2006/1/9 12:25

Re:

1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Now this whole thing stems from this communion business for that is where these scriptures are taken from. This is why I take the stand against the literal breaking of bread and the literal drinking of the wine as the actual communion of the saints.

Jesus said, John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Christ is not interested in us eating bread and drinking wine at Easter or every second Sunday, but there is something more here because it involves the resurrection.

Jesus said, 1 Corinthians 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

"THIS DO YE" this is the mystery in these 3 words.

Now remember everything that Jesus said was under the Old Covenant, for He was born under the law, which is Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come,[b][size=medium]and not the very image of the things[/size][/b] , can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Listen to me, we have glorified the images more than Jesus Christ who is our meat who hath come down from heaven that men might eat thereof and not die.

Jesus said, John 4:34 ....., My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Meat = Is doing the Will of God.

Someone might say what does this has to do with Heaven or the Resurrection, Jesus ties the resurrection into the communion.

Lets take a look at what this drink is, He says it's His blood. And He also says that if you don't drink His blood you have no life in you.

Genesis 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

I got to stop here, I got to go. I would love to continue this, but it's something to chew on my dear friends.

LS

2006/1/9 12:26
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I think we go immediately to heaven, and would agree with Chris that our time and God's kingdom are not on the same schedule. This could also explain the Day of the Lord, in that on God's time, Abel does not stand by in heaven, waiting for the rest of the saints. But one day to God sees the death (and translation) of all the saints and sinners throughout eternity.

I would like to hear some other takes on this, though. I have heard some interesting ones.

2006/1/10 10:52Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

WOW, this is something else that I have been thinking and praying about recently.

Does the soul sleep when the body dies?
Does the soul immediately go to heaven with the Lord?

Here is a question that I have wrestled with lately:
How many "heavenly/glorified" bodies can a believer receive...according to scripture?
- 1. Because when the body dies the soul sleeps only to be ressurected on the last day.
- 2. 1 if the person dies before the ressurection and another when the ressurection/second coming occurs.

I am interested to see how this discussion plays out because I honestly have no clue.

What has been stuck in my mind is the word "sleep"
When I fall asleep at night, the next thing I am aware of is the sound of my alarm clock. I was in my bed for 7+ hours...but it seemed like an instant to me.

God Bless this discussion

2006/1/10 12:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy