SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : WOW! John Wesley wife was like "thunder & lighting"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

WOW! John Wesley wife was like "thunder & lighting"

I was re-reading John Wesleys letters to his wife. I was baffled by the problems his wife constantly gave him. Wesly came to the point and wrote her out a list of things he didnt like she was doing. This woman would talk behind his back and say lies about him -His wife!!
This was a giant in the Lord and she probably gave him more problems than the hecklers. It was interesting how Wesley listed in sequence how he handled his wife...what worked and what didnt, and actually nothing worked. Somtimes he said he would ignore her but she would chase him down.
He said she was like "thunder & lighting."

Brethern, if you have problems in your family be encouraged! John Wesley had problems to.

2006/1/6 13:42Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: WOW! John Wesley wife was like "thunder & lighting"

I remember Ravenhill making a remark about this too. He said something like," You would have to believe in entire sanctification with a wife like that!"

2006/1/6 14:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: WOW! John Wesley wife was like "thunder & lighting"

Is there a proper title for these letters? Thinking that CCEL might have a copy online.

Would like to read these.

2006/1/6 14:56Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

I got the letters fromm Lillian Harvey or Harvey Publishing. Check on line for it.
The front page says John Wesleys letters.

2006/1/6 15:03Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

I'm not sure but I've read a number of Wesley's letters here: [url=http://wesley.nnu.edu/john_wesley/letters/index.htm ]Wesley's Center Online[/url]

2006/1/6 15:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Wesley's Wife

Thanks guy's!

2006/1/6 15:20Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

I looked at that web site a little and found a couple letters to wesleys wife. Search between 1757-1762. Her name is Molly. Its easier for me because I have all the letters just to his wife. I copied one of them off line:
To his Wife [6]
LIVERPOOL, March 23, 1760.

Poor Molly! Could you not hold out a little longer! not one month? not twenty days? Have you found out a presence already for talking in the old strain? A thin one indeed: but, such as it is, it may serve the turn for want of a better. 'You have taken a bed to pieces. And you want to put it in my study. And I do not tell you whether you may or no'! Truly I cannot look upon this whole affair as any other than a presence. For what need had you to take the bed in pieces at all? and what need was there (if it was taken in pieces) that it should lie in the one little room which I have when you have four rooms to yourself?

Alas, that to this hour you should neither know your duty nor be willing to learn it! Indeed, if you was a wise, whether a good woman or not, you would long since have given me a carte blanche: you would have said, 'Tell me what to do, and I will do it; tell me what to avoid, and I will avoid it. I promised to obey you, and I will keep my word. Bid me do anything, everything. In whatever is not sinful, I obey. You direct, I will follow the direction.'

This it had been your wisdom to have done long ago, instead of squabbling for almost these ten years. This it is both your wisdom and your duty to do now; and certainly better late than never. This must be your indispensable duty, till (1) I am an adulterer; (2) you can prove it. Till then I have the same right to claim obedience from you as you have to claim it from Noah Vazeille. [Her son.] Consequently every act of disobedience is an act of rebellion against God and the King, as well as against
Your affectionate Husband.

2006/1/6 15:33Profile
DS

Re: Wesley's Wife...

What an great website that is. I was also stunned when I heard Keith Daniel say that John Wesley's thorn in the flesh was his wife. It's about 46.30 mins into the sermon "Desperation Revelation Resignation" https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=6277

Yours in Christ,
DS

2006/1/6 15:57Profile

Re:

Let us not forget the women who have husbands that behave like Wesley's wife!!!

2006/1/6 16:15
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Recently I was reading proverbs and discovered very interesting fact that there is one proverb, literally the same words, mentioned in two chapters, I suppose it is very important if it is written two times in same book:

Proverbs 21:9
Better to dwell in a corner of a housetop, Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.

Proverbs 25:24
It is better to dwell in a corner of a housetop, Than in a house shared with a contentious woman.

also in this context:

Proverbs 21:19
Better to dwell in the wilderness, Than with a contentious and angry woman.

2006/1/6 16:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy