SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What price are you willing to pay?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
disciplejosh

Southern California

What price are you willing to pay?

Is there one thing the Lord has asked, or is asking, you to do?

Are you being obedient to do what He is asking?

No matter how insignificant or seemingly foolish it might be, will you/have you done it?

If so, what was the fruit of your obedience?

2006/1/6 2:09Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re: What price are you willing to pay?

I'm reminded of F.B. Meyer's guidance to a young D.L. Moody "If you are not willing, confess that you are willing to be made willing. Hand yourself over to Him to work in you, to will and to do of His own good pleasure."

I often find that I'm not willing but am willing to made willing and as I've honestly prayed this prayer the Lord God of heaven has consistently answered this prayer. In the western world, I believe we often equate the idea of surrendering to Jesus as opposed to the actual act of surrendering. That's been true in my heart anyway.

Okay, here goes the Q&As...

Quote:
Is there one thing the Lord has asked, or is asking, you to do?

There's generally more than one thing. I find there's a number of things, most of them by outward appearances seem to be insignificant but in my heart this comes to mind quite often "For who hath despised the day of small things?"

For example, right now Jesus is after my right to defend myself. When I am attacked verbally or in some other way, do I run to defend myself or do I say no Jesus, I'm simply going to trust you. If I'm really a servant of Jesus, I won't defend myself but I can leave that to the Master. It's been one of the more painful things that Jesus has dealt with me on to date because it's been such an idol of mine. There's a host of other things. I found that when this walk began in earnest, He dealt with me on one or two things at a time but now it's wide open and much broader than I imagined.

Quote:
Are you being obedient to do what He is asking?

Honestly, in some things yes and some things no. The 3:20 a.m. wake-up call is difficult particularly after a long day but Jesus is dealing with this love of comfort in my heart. He's doing the work and He is dealing with the occasional slothfulness in my Spirit.

Quote:
No matter how insignificant or seemingly foolish it might be, will you/have you done it?

Yes, there have been a number of "foolish" things I've done and I'm certain this is just the beginning. I'm a very shy person who prefer in my flesh not to say anything.

I can identify with Rees Howells life but thankfully I haven't had to do anything quite as radical as he did. Not yet anyway. I know Isaiah had to walk around naked for three years but I'm hoping for others' sakes this won't happen. :-(

Quote:
If so, what was the fruit of your obedience?

When I've done explicitly what the Lord required, I've seen others come to Jesus or to literally flee from me. In my own heart as I've submitted my will to His, I've had this incredible peace in my heart. It's not an emotional feeling but rather His presence. This is simply a by-product of obedience.

On the other hand, when I failed to do what was asked, God's presence has left me. He's told me to repent and if that didn't happen quickly I experienced some type of judgment from God.

His discipline is a fearsome thing and not enjoyable but it does certainly produce a fruit as stated in Hebrews 12:11 "Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."

Interesting questions Josh. Blessings to you.

2006/1/6 16:09Profile
CyberCarbon

Amen

Amen, I also pray, He will make me willing in all things.
Great Post.

2006/1/7 8:10Profile

Re: What Price Are You Willing To Pay?

Theres one book that I think every christian should read and thats "The Heavenly Man."

Its about brother Yun and how the gosple spread throughout China and all the persecution they suffered because of it.But in that suffering they became stronger.It was compared to tying two foxes tails together and setting them on fire!The persecution made the Chinese christians strong and they were unstoppable.

Don't be afraid to suffer for Christ.Anything you suffer for Him will only make you stronger if you don't draw back.

Most christians in China will tell you not to pray that God delivers them from prison and suffering because they gladly suffer for Christ.Suffering makes you stronger and it may be the only thing that will bring revival in America.

2006/1/7 8:35
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Brethren
what price indeed are we willing to pay for Christ? The Apostles and believers of old paid with their lives pretty often, all but 1 apostle was martyred. ultimately are we willing to die for what we believe? i think not and it's plain to me that any discomfort for Christ is far from the minds of most so called "believers" let alone martyrdom. If Christ was whipped, mocked and nailed to a cross what right have we to expect or think we deserve anything less? In truth, Christianity in it's purest form invites persecution and martyrdom. The Lord showed me that the world has gotten worse since the days of Christ and has greatly influenced the "gospel" we preach nowadays. the tendancy is to preach a gospel which leaves one's life pretty much intact as opposed to the violent obliteration of one's life before Christ. Once one has come to Christ truly, one can in no way remain the same as before because the Spirit of God will strive with that person so that he/she is conformed to the image of Christ. This is the killing of self and self is not one to go down quietly...

As it pertains to our brethren in Asia who are suffering for the sake of Christ, the Spirit of God enables them to endure all these things. A reason and i think the main reason why this whole persecution idea is hard to swallow is that most "believers" have no idea who Holy Spirit is and what His role is in the Godhead and our lives. if we would submit to Him there would be nothing we'd be unable to endure nor a price to great to pay in the service of Christ.

Rest assured brethren that as it was in the beginning of the Church age so shall it be in the end, there will be persecution of Christians wherever we may be found, even here. many "brothers" will jump ship, unable to drink of that cup of suffering but blessed undeed are those who do endure and are vigilent till the end. Lord purify us with fire!!!AMEN

The Lord dealt with me about what price i had to pay in His service and at first i wanted no part in it. this was because i assumes that i had to pay this price of my own strength which i could not. in time the Lord showed me that the work He had for me in its entirety was not dependant on my own strength (praise the Lord) but that the Spirit of God would see to it that the Lord's will is done and therein is the key brethren.

2006/1/10 15:37Profile
Conqueror

Re:

I read a quote recently and I will paraphrase it now...and if someone else has heard this quote before and I have it written down incorrectly please correct me...

"its easier to follow Christ amidst persecution and adversity than it is wealth and prosperity".

Spoke volumes to me. Someone mentioned Brother Yun earlier. He once said that the western church has an entirely different cross to bear than the persecuted church. I believe the the crux of that is in the quote above. Are you willing to sacrifice all...and violently pursue Christ?

2006/1/10 15:57Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Quote:
"its easier to follow Christ amidst persecution and adversity than it is wealth and prosperity".

I've heard this from a number of others I've conversed with from other countries but I'm not so sure it's true. I'm reminded of what Abraham said, "Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

It seems to me that suffering does something to a believer that is glorious and this passage of scripture caught my eye the last time through the scriptures in 1 Peter 4:1-2: "1Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, [b]because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. 2As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.[/b]"

I would encourage you to download part of the video from Christians in China. It's an amazing video, particularly the one entitled "The Seeds of Blood." [url=http://www.chinasoul.org/e/e-va.htm]The Cross - Jesus in China[/url]

2006/1/10 16:20Profile
Conqueror

Re:

Quote:
I would encourage you to download part of the video from Christians in China. It's an amazing video, particularly the one entitled "The Seeds of Blood." The Cross - Jesus in China

My mentor is a missionary in China.He trains house pastors. I will be going there in April for two weeks (Beijing, Shanghai and Nanjing).

We have had numerous conversations on the western church compared to the persecuted church.

I believe the persecuted church has "easier" in that Christ is all they have. The western church is too blinded by the world and prosperity.

Let me clarify when I say "easy"... I don't mean your physical livelihood. I am referring more to living the Christlike life. To the persecuted church, Christ is "everything". To the majority of the western church its Christ "AND". When Christ is everything to you, your sole means of living and reason for living its easier to follow after him in discipleship. But when your life is consumed with Christ AND something else (more often than not the AND comes first) it makes it more difficult to live a Christlike life (victorious over sin and the self life, obedience etc,).

Just my opinion.

2006/1/10 16:28Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re: What price are you willing to pay?

You put this in a form of a question, What price?
I like that. When we read the gospels Jesus asks questions alot. Apostle Paul when on the road to kill christians Jesus appeared to him and said:
WHY?
Over my life and OUR own lives theres a WHY? Why do we live the way we do, Why do we say the things we say, Why dont we seek more, What price?
WHY do you call Me Lord, Lord..? This word WHY is on my mind alot. Why arent WE paying the price??

2006/1/10 17:10Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Thank you Conqueror,

I've heard this from those I've met from other countries, particularly China but it never quite made sense to me. I sense the Jesus plus (whatever it might be) days are nearing an end in the Western world. That's certainly coming to fruition in my own life and I know that Jesus is faithful.

Thank you for sharing. Did you see the China Soul video?

2006/1/11 9:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy