SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Morning + Evening

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Willo

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Morning + Evening

For Christmas I was given Morning and Evening by Spurgeon, now being the first of the year, I started the readings this morning.

Being interested what I would be reading this evening, I looked at the scripture, and it came from 'Canticles 1:4' now I know this isn't the canon of scripture that we hold to as protestants, and from information obtained it is said to be a catholic book. Is there any truth to that? Could someone please give some information on the book of Canticles, and possible why Spurgeon would use it.

Thanks

Bless ya

Josh

2006/1/1 1:33Profile

Re: Morning + Evening- Canticles= The Song of Solomon

Hi Willo: I believe that Canticles is nothing more than the Song of Solomon.

Here is something that explains it:

CANTICLES. The Old Testament book of Canticles, or the Song of Solomon, is called in Hebrew The Song of Songs (that is, Use choicest of songs), or, according to the full title which stands as the first verse of the book, The choicest of the songs of Solomon. In the Western versions the book holds the third place among the so-called Solomonic writings,following Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. In Hebrew Bibles it stands among the Megilloth, the five books of the Hagiographa which have a prominent place in the Synagogue service. In printed Bibles and in German MSS. it is the first of these because it is read at the Passover, which is the first great feast of the sacred year of the Jews.

God bless,

Stever

2006/1/1 2:41
Willo

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re:

No worries, thanks for clearing that up!

2006/1/1 7:21Profile
ShirHashirim

Re:

it was also said to be spurgeons favorite book! :-)

2006/1/4 0:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy