SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Double Predestination"?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
groh_frog

"Double Predestination"?

I once heard of a doctrinal idea called "Double Predestination" that took predestination a step further to say that "the person who ends up in heaven would really be happier there, the person in hell happier there. If a person meant for Hell went to heaven, they would feel out of place, and likewise vice versa".

Now, this whole thing as I understand it, if I understand it correctly, seems to make absolutely no sense biblically, or even logically otherwise. Anybody else ever heard of this? Am I just way off, or are some theologians buying into this stuff?

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/31 17:52Profile

Re: "Double Predestination"?

First off, the idea that anyone would be 'happy' in hell, strikes me as the ultimate misreading of scripture.

2005/12/31 18:39
Graftedbranc

Quote:
I once heard of a doctrinal idea called "Double Predestination" that took predestination a step further to say that "the person who ends up in heaven would really be happier there, the person in hell happier there. If a person meant for Hell went to heaven, they would feel out of place, and likewise vice versa".

I believe that what has been actually said is that the only thing more distressful for the lost than being in hell would be being in heaven because though he be there he is separated from God and has no enjoyment of God.

But this is of course, while it carries some truth in that a lost unregenerated peson would have no place in the New Jerusalem, the concept that he would be happy in hell is absured.

The Reality of hell, or the "lake of fire" is eternal spearation from God.

The Reality of Heaven, or rather the New Jerusalem in the New earth is eternal Oneness with God as the Eternal Bride, the Wife of the Lamb which is the eternal Divine human incorporation. God in Man as God's eternal dwelling place and man in God as man's eternal Dwelling place.

The New Jerusalem is the Wife of the Lamb and the House of God. A Divine Human incorporation, God in man and man in God. God in Man as the Tabernacle, and man in God as the Temple.

A lost man today when in the presence of those who know the Lord and are manifesting the Lfie of Christ is uncomfortable. IN the New Jeruselam He would be... well, he wouldn't be for nothing unclean or defiled will enter there.

Graftedbranch

2005/12/31 23:28Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I know that this entire idea is just so obserd. And I think that's what perks my curiosity- could such a belief really exist? How can a so-called "biblical doctrine" survive when rejected in almost every point by the Bible itself? I just don't know...

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/31 23:36Profile

Re:

I don't believe an unsaved person would be happy either way because the flesh is never satisfied.
They most definately would not be happy in hell.
In the physical sense they would not be happy in heaven because no man can see God and live.
Spiritually speaking they would not be happy in heaven because of overwhelming conviction.
They would see the depth of their depravity
and even though they would be in heaven they would not be able to become saved because even though heaven seems like a wonderful place their soul still craves for the world.
Its like trying to put a wild animal in a cage, its against nature.Their would be an awful lot of squirming around in heaven to say the least,very uncomfortable.Interesting subject.

2006/1/1 0:00
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:

I don't know where you heard it but that is not what 'Double Predestination' means at all. Folk who believe in 'predestination' are usually thinking of the positive aspect of predestination. ie that some are 'predestined' to salvation. Thorough-going Calvinists also believe in 'double predestination' (sometimes called reprobation) which means they believe that God not only predestined some to go to heaven but that He also predestined some to go to hell. Those who were predestined to go to heaven will be drawn there irresistibly (by irresistible grace). Those who were predestined to go to hell will never be able to repent and so will end there irrespective of anything they can do to avoid that fate.

This, I hasten to say, is not my belief. But this is what 'double predestination' means.

Quote:
Now, this whole thing as I understand it, if I understand it correctly, seems to make absolutely no sense biblically, or even logically otherwise. Anybody else ever heard of this? Am I just way off, or are some theologians buying into this stuff?

To answer your specific question... you are 'way off'.

2006/1/1 7:00Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Well, for once I can say that I'm glad to know that I'm "way off". [edit: in my understanding of this topic]

Grace and Peace...

2006/1/1 11:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy