SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Have a little wine...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
groh_frog

Have a little wine...

Don't give in to drunkenness, but a little wine is permissable?

Throughout the NT is mention of drinking wine. Paul instructs to have a little wine, and not just water to help with an upset stomach. But at the same time, anything that causes a brother to stumble should be avoided.

Where do you draw the line between "have a little wine" and "cause not a brother to stumble" in regards to alcohol? Basically, because of stigma of alcohol, or whatever else, would it be better in this day to avoid alcohol alltogether to defend Christ's image?

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/30 15:24Profile
worzle

Re: Have a little wine...

Personally I don't drink alcohol at uni. From speaking to housemates, they sound like they are very much fed up with the uselessness of the world; but they don't see an alternative and so continue there own search for pleasure. I see alcohol, even in limited forms, as a form of escapism, all to often there lives are geared up around the persuit of pleasure, rather than having it as a by product of work. As such the week revolves around going out and "loosing themselves" - If I have the answer, is it good to look like i'm trying to escape from something (even in moderation)? :P

I've read quite a bit from both a scientific point of view (alcohol is far far stronger now than it was 2000 years ago), and also that the word "wine" in greek meant both grape juice or fermented "wine" - but its not a subject I have looked into vastly - I don't think there is an issue with drinking in moderation but i don't feel comfortable with it :$

2005/12/30 15:46Profile

Re: Have a little wine...

G'frog, what do you believe? What sayest thou?

2005/12/30 15:47
groh_frog

Re:

Well, to first answer another comment, we know that "wine" doesn't just refer to juice alone. We're warned not to get drunk off of it, and it's pretty hard to get drunk off of grape juice :-)

As far as what I believe? I believe it depends on the context of where you're at when you're drinking the wine. Here's what I mean: If I'm at home with my wife, I see no problem in having a glass with her. On the other hand, if we're at a Bible study with a recovering alcoholic present, it probably wouldn't be the best time to bust out the bubbly!

On that note, however, I've heard that even having that glass with my wife would qualify me as a drinker, which could push that alcohol stigma to push a person away from the church, away from Christ.

I don't know if this is a qualified concern, however. Christ and his disciples passed around the wine that signified his blood. It was culturally acceptable then, and it is now, outside of the church crowd. I wonder if the only people who are turned off by the idea are the believers who think themselves above alcohol.

So it comes to this: I wouldn't drink it in the presence of a mormon- it would be offensive. A recovering alcoholic might be tempted back into sin. But a glass with my wife (and always in moderation) shouldn't be a problem.

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/30 16:34Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I really want to get more of a thought from you guys, though.

Grace and peace...

2005/12/30 16:35Profile
lamuskrat

Gonzales, La

Re:

Please do not take the following response the wrong way, it isn't meant sarcastically....

Have you prayed about it, and asked God for His council on the subject.

Yes we have some very dedicated and intelligent members here, with a vast array of opinion, but Gods opinion is the only one that really counts....

God bless....

2005/12/30 16:46Profile
groh_frog

Re:

I know what you mean.

Actually, this isn't an issue right now- I'm under age, and can't buy alcohol at the moment. But I know godly families that believe both ways, and I want to know more of why. There's a lot of wisdom with issues like this, and the direction of those elder to us younger guys can be great.

Yeah, something to pray about. But also doctrinally, what's the best thing?

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/30 17:02Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

How come you drink wine while you can't buy it and are under age? Or am I missing something here? :-?

For what I know, alcohol is not bad. As you said, even Jesus drank it. He would also [b]never[/b] drink too much.
Keep it moderate I would say, the Bible warns against drinking too much but not against drinking any.

How would a little wine cause someone to stumble?
If indeed that brother is a recovering alcoholic you should not do anything yourself what can cause him to fall. If you are with people who very much dislike and disapprove drinking alcohol then don't drink it. But in general its rather the misuse of drinking alcohol instead drinking something at all that makes people question your honesty in faith. (or a possible stumble block)

What is acceptable to one (within God given limits) might be very well unacceptable and a stumble block for another.

But there is always something that is offensive for someone. Perhaps some people find pink shirts very offensive. :-)

Quote:
Where do you draw the line between "have a little wine" and "cause not a brother to stumble" in regards to alcohol? Basically, because of stigma of alcohol, or whatever else, would it be better in this day to avoid alcohol alltogether to defend Christ's image?

[edit]Added another thought.

2005/12/30 17:44Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Alright. Sounds like i'm not too off base.

And I don't drink at all now because I'm underage. Not just that I don't buy it, but I don't drink at all. I do turn of age in a couple of months, however, which has sparked my questions. :-)

Grace and Peace...

2005/12/30 17:58Profile
tacklebox

Roanoke Rapids, NC

Re:

I think if you want wine, make it yourself. Read the history behind Dr. Welch and communion wine. And it's okay in moderation, but our witness is more important.

-Chris

2005/12/30 19:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy