SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Non-hymns are evil?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
groh_frog

Re:

Often times, the younger generation (like me- 20), if not raised in a conservative church (like me), wasn't raised with hymns, and doesn't "click" with them. I don't know how to explain it. It took me a long time before I could appreciate many hymns at all. This might be why many of the younger generation of churches preffers more modern style of praise.

On the same hand, I don't think many of the elder generation really "clicks" with the modern style of praise, and so preffer hymns.

So, should it be a question of personal preference alone as to style? Every song must be tested- like said, there's rotten of both color.

Also, what do you mean about there being more than just two kinds of apples Diane?

Grace and peace...

2005/12/29 16:31Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Tozer said If you look a hymns in the past 100 years and under -you see a trend of the hymns having "I" in them. More self focused and not God.
I never will squabble about what others sing and will not now. I like what Paul Ravenhills WIFE said "Whatever CHANNEL gets you into the presence of God use that channel" That means chorus or hymns or singing the Psalms.
Find YOUR channel and stay with it and forget the squabble. :-)

2005/12/29 16:56Profile
roadsign

Re: different kinds

Quote:
Whatever CHANNEL gets you into the presence of God use that channel" That means chorus or hymns or singing the Psalms.

I have a great deal of trouble with this statement. I do not think that music is a means to reach God, but an expression of what is going on inside someone. This statement borders towards idolatry, I'm afraid.
Quote:
...what do you mean about there being more than just two kinds of apples

I mean to say, that we speak like hymns and choruses are the only two kinds of music that exist. Some others also believe that there are only two kinds of music: country and western. (just being facetious)

I believe that to the extent that Christians are able, it is good to broaden their scope. That will help them when they "critique" church music.

By the way, Groh_frog I like the way you express the struggle relating to music that is not in one's sphere of experience. That is a humble admission - better than saying "the OTHER kind is all from the devil, or God doesn't use it anymore."
Diane

2005/12/29 17:14Profile

Re: Hymns

Here's a great websight with alot of old hymns with music:

www.cyberhymnal.org

It even has the old hymn from Azusa Street, "The Comforter Has Come." I also like the hymn,"Coming Up The Road."

2005/12/29 17:19
brentw

Ohio

Re: music - a means, or a result

Hey Roadsign, I don't want to get into this but I got to ask whats YOUR "means" of touching or reaching God?

2005/12/29 17:26Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I have a great deal of trouble with this statement. I do not think that music is a means to reach God, but an expression of what is going on inside someone. This statement borders towards idolatry, I'm afraid.

I understand your concern for the statement and although I can't know the context of the statement that this quote from Mrs. Ravenhill was taken from, I think I can hazard a guess. Sometimes for me, when in the prayer closet, I fight with a wandering mind or just a lack of the spirit of prayer, and sometimes singing a hymn or two will help to get me back in the right place, so to speak. I'm guessing that may be the meaning behind the "channel" but I could be wrong. Perhaps Brent could comfirm that.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/12/29 18:04Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Ok, Let me make this concrete. Ron has his channel. For me I listen to worship music before prayer or reading etc. = my channel. It doesnt have to be just chorus or just hymns. I love to sense God before anything. My devotions is not a 3 step process or formula.(A channel is beyond my words its the door that allows me to see HIS face =less concrete) I can go much further than this but let me know if more needs said for a clear answer??

2005/12/29 18:21Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Non-hymns are evil?

I haven't read all the quotes, but here is my take. I have a friend whose testimony lead me to Christ, who is IF Baptist. This is what I was told by Kent Hovind, the Creation Evangelist who at one time pastored an IFB church. He feels that many in the IFB movement have become like the Amish, and begun to shun people so much that they have cut themselves off, in some cases, to an extreme that is un-Biblical. He also commented that they have stricter tolerances, and often times with this you get a better product.

BTW, I have read a quote by Wesley that says that instruments are wonderful things, but they have no place in the church. IFB's are not the only ones who have been primitive in worship.

The IFB has had some great preachers in the past, namely John R. Rice. Some of the IFB preachers very obviously oppose Rice's position on ecuminism (I use this word carefully). Rice went on campaigns with anyone that trusted Christ and believed the Bible, while the average IFB church will not allow their termites to fellowship with the termites from the church down the street (paraphrase of Curtis Hudson, IFB minister).

I'm not big on the new stuff, hymn-wise, but I don't think it is a doctrine worth dividing over. If someone does, then let him do it for the Lord, God is his judge. But I will stand with Paul on this one:

Phil 1:18 "What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice."

2005/12/29 20:31Profile

Re: More Great Hymns

Here are some more great hymns:

These are hymns written by Martin Luther:

www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/l/u/luther_m.htm

Written by Charles Wesley:

www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/w/e/s/wesley_c.htm

2005/12/29 21:28

Re: non-hymns are evil?

Diane,

I often sing that bit of the Hallelujah chorus which says 'the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our God and of His Christ' (from memory... hope I'm quoting correctly from Revelation there).

I understand what you mean about music having the potential to be an idol, but I don't think that's what was meant.

For myself, I find the Lord very quick and willing to 'give' me a line of a tune (of Christian song, hymn, psalm) which ministers immensely to me in the Spirit. Sometimes this is before and sometimes after or nothing to do with spending time with Him consciously. I keep myself open to hear from Him in this way, and He - knowing me and the love He has given me of music which glorifies Him - comes to me in fellowship in this way. I could not function without it, even though I have gone for months without singing at all.... those were hard times, when there was no spiritual song of any kind coming through.

At other times, He has used the music He brings to me to show my true relationship with Him, regardless of how I'm feeling or what has happened 'in the natural'; and sometimes, it has been a sign that I've moved out of the influence of an opposing spirit - that the song just bursts forth, like a tap has been turned on.

2005/12/30 12:31

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy