SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER FIVE

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER FIVE

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/images/revivaltarries_reading5.gif[/img]

[i]Note: if you want to join in these discussions you should obtain a copy of "why revival tarries" infromation in where to obtain this book is on this thread. [/i]

[b]CHAPTER FIVE[/b]

Read the fifth chapter of the book and then prayerfully meditate on these questions and respond as you feel led.

13. Why is it true that contemporary evangelists- that is, all present-day disciples of christ- have the same ability to reach a dying world as did those followers of the 1st century?

14. What does the term "useful brokeness" mean to you? Does it make sense- or do you see the two terms as mutually exclusive? Can you justify your answer when you hold it up to your specific life situations/choices?

15. What walls and dams are you prepared to open so that the waters of healing and growth might flow once again?

2005/12/27 21:11Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER FIVE

[b]13. Why is it true that contemporary evangelists- that is, all present-day disciples of christ- have the same ability to reach a dying world as did those followers of the 1st century?[/b]

"This church will have either revival or a funeral!" With such despair God is well pleased, though hell is despondent. Madness, you say? Exactly! A sober church never does any good." Our God is the same yesterday, today and forever! I am the Lord God and changeth not. We need an modern day pentecost!

[b]14. What does the term "useful brokeness" mean to you? Does it make sense- or do you see the two terms as mutually exclusive? Can you justify your answer when you hold it up to your specific life situations/choices?[/b]

"God only uses broken things." for in saving our lives we will lose them. We need to realize our utter dependcy on God. Oh Lord school us in the "spirit" into the "things of God" we need to learn of You. My heart and desire is for Christ to be everything and me to be nothing. I want Christ to shine through my actions words and desires. "More of Him!"

[b]15. What walls and dams are you prepared to open so that the waters of healing and growth might flow once again?[/b]

Something of selfishness, garments or gold,
Something of hindrance in young or old,
Somethin why God doth His blessing withhold,
Is it, O Lord, in me?
Is it in me? Is it in me?
Is it, O Lord, in me?

God search my heart and root out these things which stop the floods of your grace and revival to move in my life for your glory. amen.

2005/12/29 19:10Profile

Re: Why Revival Tarries (book reading) CHAPTER FIVE

[b]13. Why is it true that contemporary evangelists-that is, all present-day disciples of Christ- have the same ability to reach a dying world as did those followers of the 1st century?[/b]

Yes, this is true because even in days of old so now, “the Holy Ghost is seeking for men to trample underfoot their own learning, deflate their inflated ego, and confess with all their seeing they are blind. Such men, at the price of brokenness and strong crying and tears, seek that they may be anointed with divine eyesalve, bought at the price of honest acknowledgment of poverty of soul.” LR.
1st century Christians were a daily demonstration of the power of the Gospel to all they met. We disciples of today have the same opportunity and responsibility. And the world is watching us to see what we do with this opportunity. “The world is not waiting for a new definition of the Gospel, but for a new demonstration of the power of the Holy Ghost.”LR.
When disciples like these are found then the Holy Ghost can use them even as He used the disciples of the first century.

[b]14. What does the term “useful brokenness” mean to you? Does it make sense- or do you see the two terms as mutually exclusive? Can you justify your answer when you hold it up to your specific life situations/choices?[/b]

Brokenness to me is going through what ever God deems necessary in my life to break me and crush the hindrances and crutches that hinder His working through me as His vessel. It’s coming to the point of seeking life through God’s perspective and weeping at what grieves Him. “Mine eye affecteth mine heart...” Lam. 3:51

It’s justified on paper but when I examine my life I find myself stubborn and resistant against His breaking. Particularly of late I have complained of a trial I’m going through. It’s hard to stop and thank God for this difficulty and to have the faith to believe that He is indeed doing a work within me.
“Father, I yield myself to you. Please break me where I need to be broken. I thank you for Your working, oh please continue!”

[b]15. What walls and dams are you prepared to open so that the waters of healing and growth might flow once again?[/b]

The words ‘once again’ reveals that there is dryness, and there has been dryness in my life. God has used this question and the previous one to show me part of the cause of the dryness I have been experiencing. I need to have forgiveness, gratefulness, contentment, and acceptance for all God is doing and allowing me to go through. Instead of enjoying my trials (count it all joy...James 1:2-4) I have just been enduring them and wishing for the end.
“Thank you, Father, for what You are teaching me. Have Thine own way, Lord!”

2006/1/1 15:53
roadsign

Valley of dry bones

Quote:
13. Why is it true that contemporary evangelists-that is, all present-day disciples of Christ- have the same ability to reach a dying world as did those followers of the 1st century?

Perhaps instead of "ability" I might be inclined to say "responsibility" or "opportunity"

We have become accustomed to the paid pastors or missionarites having all that responsibility, and not us "lay persons". However, we all have the responsibility, and even though most of us would never be allowed in the pulpit, we DO have the opportunities to preach the gospel outside of the church service - as living letters for Christ, his ambassadors, and minsiters of reconciliation.

In fact, we who are in the market place, have all kinds of opportunities, and, oh, yes, what about our families - our first responsibility and opportunity.

However, as far as having the same "ability" as the first century believers, I'm inclined to say, "I don't think so". Ability is the product of being Christ's disciples, sitting at his feet, learning and growing. And generally speaking, we are not there by a long shot.

Ravenhill has an incredible talent with words - sprinkling his sentences with vivid contrasts, and colorful expressions - like this one:

"Light-bulb evangelism - brilliant for a moment, but ah...!

I really like Ravenhill's commentary in ch. 5 about the dry bones. He reminds us that they don't come to life the moment there is a stirring.

He says:

Too often todays blind guides count "skeletons" who come to the altars, moved certainly, but not yet born. ... as of yet, they have no life...

flesh must come upon the skeletons, then skin must cover the flesh. And the result is that we have a valley full of CORPSES. Any good to God, Not yet. They have eyes but cannot see, hands but cannot fight, feet but cannot walk. ...

Ezekiel prevailed.. He prophesied as commanded and the breath came into them and they LIVED!

As long as we don't realize that the dry bones are lifeless, we will not likely be sufficiently burdened for revival.
Diane

2006/2/8 22:08Profile
roadsign

Re: Brokenness vs wholeness

Ravenhill has a unique calling to break, shatter, and pull down. Everything he writes does just that in a way that somehow has a welcoming warmth to it. (to me anyway)

Quote:
14. What does the term "useful brokeness" mean to you?

15. What walls and dams are you prepared to open so that the waters of healing and growth might flow once again?

Here are two very thought-provoking questions. They cause me to consider the difference between brokenness and wholeness.

We need to be broken, but we also need to be made whole (complete, restored, perfect in Christ )

There are countless broken and shattered people in the gutters of life. They have known nothing but failure and rejection. They feel that society has no use for them – they are unredeemable. These people need to be made whole by Christ – complete in him. They need to have their dignity restored, their sense of value as a human being – a child of God.

Then there are a host of people who seem to be very whole but are really very broken. It is their “fig leaves” that make them feel whole. They need discover their brokenness before they will seek wholeness. And these are the people Ravenhill addresses.

I think I like Ravenhill so much because I have nothing to hide anymore (I like to think that anyway). God has been ripping away my own layers of fig-leaves, and covered me with his love. So I feel safe when I am convicted as I read. I welcome more of this ripping away process because I have experienced the exhilarating freedom and joy that comes when I am exposed and vulnerable before my beloved Lord. And he completes me and puts me together with his love.

Ravenhill is a welcome breath of fresh air to all who have felt trapped in the religious monster. He says, “There is a better way, and you can be part of it.” You don’t have to be a pawn in the religious game of chess controlled by bishops, kings and queens.

I suspect that for those who have never begun the journey through brokenness, or do not welcome it, Ravenhill merely comes across as a whiner and an obnoxious complainer.

The question at the end of the chapter is a brave one indeed because it invites divine scrutiny:

There is sin in the camp...
...selfishness, hindrance...
Is it me, Lord, is it me?

Diane

2006/2/9 8:37Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy